SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Coke Is Back After 34 Years - Stranger Things TV Promotion
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Coke Is Back After 34 Years - Stranger Things TV Promotion Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I was 12 years old when New Coke came out and recall it tasting like they ripped off Pepsi, which I consider to be inferior tasting to Coke.

quote:

New Coke is back after 34 years. Thank 'Stranger Things' season 3

Zlati Meyer, USA TODAY Published 10:01 a.m. ET May 21, 2019 | Updated 12:19 p.m. ET May 21, 2019

Thirty-four years after it debuted – and then disappeared – New Coke is back.

The often-maligned soda goes on sale online Thursday as part of a tie-in with the Netflix show “Stranger Things,” Coca-Cola announced Tuesday.

The third season of the show set in the 1980s launches on July 4 and will take place in 1985. That year, Coca-Cola angered soda drinkers with the launch of a new version of its flagship drink. New Coke quickly became an example of misgauging consumer demand and remains a punchline three and a half decades later.

The 12-ounce cans of New Coke, made from the same recipe that sparked the 1985 revolt, will go on sale at 5 p.m. ET at cokestore.com. They'll be part of a bundle when shoppers buy at least two limited-edition "Stranger Things" Coca-Cola or Coke Zero Sugar eight-ounce glass bottles.

Free cans of New Coke will also be available for a limited time via an upside-down "Stranger Things"-inspired vending machine in select cities, starting Thursday in New York. And people who buy a ticket or gift at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta on certain days during the week of June 3 will have a chance to get New Coke cans as a gift, while supplies last.

“When Netflix told us Season 3 was going to be set in the summer of 1985 – with the tagline that ‘one summer could change everything’ – that rang so true for us," said Oana Vlad, director of Coca-Cola Trademark, Coca-Cola North America. "The summer of 1985 did in fact change everything for us with the introduction of New Coke, which was also arguably one of the biggest pop culture moments of that year."

She explained that once Coca-Cola realized how large a role the beverage would play in the show, the company decided to revive the soda.

New Coke, the Edsel of the soda world, was available for 79 days in 1985, and the Atlanta soda giant is now predicting the new batch will be gone even faster.

Coca-Cola has had more than a dozen cameos in the first two seasons of "Stranger Things," including the notable scene where Eleven crushes the Coke can with her mind.

The beverage giant is playing this tie-in just right, says New York City-based branding consultant Allen Adamson.

“The challenge today for any brand is to break through and to create some energy and some buzz and to try to get a little sizzle in the marketplace,” he said. “This is a way to do it behind a product that tasted great, but (didn’t) have the authenticity front. It’s a different time and a different place.”

There’s no downside to Coca-Cola reminding people of its giant misstep, because consumers can still get regular Coke whenever they want, Allen says. Plus, it lets people who are curious or nostalgic about New Coke taste it, he says.

Link

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I was in the grocery business then,

new coke, diet coke, boneless skinless chicken (prepackaged) and Snackwells all seemed to come out about the same time,

it was funny watching large people buy multiple 2l liters of diet coke, multiple boxes of snackwells, and lots of Bnls Skls chicken,,, not realizing of course you still needed to eat in moderation,,,

and I always thought the new coke was a coverup,

introduce it, then get rid of it, and replace it with 'original' coke,

but didn't the 'original' have HFCS vs sugar that the old did???

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
and I always thought the new coke was a coverup,

introduce it, then get rid of it, and replace it with 'original' coke,

but didn't the 'original' have HFCS vs sugar that the old did???

My thoughts exactly.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
The New New Coke? I'm losing track. Coke should start using version numbers.

Posts: 4817 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Like Disco, New Coke should rest in peace.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I liked New Coke! When I heard they quit making it, I bought as much as I could find at the local stores and hoarded it.

OK, it tasted more like Pepsi than Coke, but it was not as sweet as Pepsi, which I have to water down with as much ice as will fit in the glass. Classic Coke, however, in plastic bottles, tastes weird to me. Honestly, I'd rather drink Sam's Cola than Coke.

Too bad this is just a promotional return.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9145 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
About as tasty as Clear Pepsi was.

Yuck.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Cool I can rush to the store all over again to be disappointed, yeah.

Can I at least get some Max Headroom ads?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When New Coke came out we ran some blind taste tests at my office to see if anyone could tell the difference,(people had said we could not.) Not only did every test show what was what-NOBODY there liked the New Coke and RC Cola had pretty good sales I understand and benefitted from the publicity. Pepsi actually gave all it's employees a day off in celebration! This swill soon disappeared from supermarket shelves.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I remember when New Coke first came out. During that time, Pepsi was looming to wrest market leadership from Coke. Coke management decided that consumer tastes had swung to the kinder, gentler taste of Pepsi, and decided to pissify their flagship product. Consumer backlash was immediate and fierce: bring back the old Coke. Rather than admit one of the worst marketing campaigns ever, they decided to reintroduce the original formula under the guise "Coke Classic" to appease the market segment (i.e. the entire race) that preferred the taste of the older product.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Bring back the old recipe from 1886-1929 again Cool

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, you know that they can't--the original recipe had cocaine in it (and it WAS addictive!).

I have drunk all the various Coca-Cola products and preferred the original (see above) over all of them. When Tab came out I drank it, because I was trying to avoid the sugar. I switched to Diet Coke when it became available and have stayed with it ever since. Coke "Classic" is too sweet for me, and I just don't care much for Coke Zero (but will buy it if Diet Coke is not available).

I actually do like RC Cola (and its diet version), but it's not available around here. I also liked Diet Rite, but I think it's not sold anywhere. Pepsi is too sweet.

Both the original Coke and Pepsi cola products were initially created to be sold in drugstores as stomach remedies--Coke had cocaine and Pepsi had pepsin. The old Coke syrup was mixed with plain tap water and DID soothe sick stomachs.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Maybe Colorado can swing putting the "Old Recipe" back in and decriminalize or legalize it??

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I liked that new Coke back then.
I'll have to try it again.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31422 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Maybe Colorado can swing putting the "Old Recipe" back in and decriminalize or legalize it??
I'm sure the company would love to put the cocaine back in--it made the beverage addictive and guaranteed continued purchases.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
I remember when New Coke first came out. During that time, Pepsi was looming to wrest market leadership from Coke. Coke management decided that consumer tastes had swung to the kinder, gentler taste of Pepsi, and decided to pissify their flagship product. Consumer backlash was immediate and fierce: bring back the old Coke. Rather than admit one of the worst marketing campaigns ever, they decided to reintroduce the original formula under the guise "Coke Classic" to appease the market segment (i.e. the entire race) that preferred the taste of the older product.

Maybe it was just me, but when Coke Classic came out, it did not taste like old Coke. Something was different. I left Coke and have rarely been back.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:

I'm sure the company would love to put the cocaine back in--it made the beverage addictive and guaranteed continued purchases.

flashguy

In my Junior High days we'd walk to school and pass a bakery every morning. I started buying a cinnamon or glazed bowtie and Coke, now that was as close to an addiction as I ever had as a youngster.

Most recently I was buying Coke Zero in the 12pk as it suited my taste a little more than the regular Coke and minus the sugar...wasn't bad either.

Regards, Will G.

Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
I lived through New Coke. No thank you.

But.....What's 'Stranger Things?'

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2838 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
IF I wanted a Pepsi, I would buy a Pepsi.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post