SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Snowflake definition of online harassment
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snowflake definition of online harassment Login/Join 
posted
I'm not making light of the individuals who are hounded mercilessly by classmates. I realize that is serious and has led to suicide.

On the other hand, note that the most commonly reported "harassment" is name calling or embarrassment. I'm pretty sure almost all of us have been called a name (sometimes deservedly) or embarrassed (because we were actually wrong) right here on this forum. On the other hand, I have never come close to feeling harassed. The definition of harassment, like racism, has been expanded to include so much that it has lost all meaning.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/07/1...nt-survey/index.html

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who do this bullying do not do it unless it seems to have some effect. If you show that it is bothering you, well they do not quit, but if it seems to have no effect, sometimes it goes away or they ramp it up to a physical nature.

I was always the smallest one in my classes, from the first grade until I graduated, I was always the smallest boy in my class. I was a prime target for bullies.
Most of it was physical. School officials ignored my complaints, until I punched someone back. But, I could do a little office time to stop the bullying. Suicide was NEVER an option.

As the years went by, fighting back came quicker and quicker, until I simply would not tolerate any physical bullying.

It is hard for me to understand how or why someone feels the need for suicide because of that, especially if it is all mental.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post