SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Academy Sports: Aimpoint Pro - $351 shipped
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Academy Sports: Aimpoint Pro - $351 shipped Login/Join 
Amat victoria curam
Picture of i8mtm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting this - I was able to get one at the sale price and free shipping.

Cool

Usually I am a day late and a dollar short for the good deals!

Posts: 486 | Location: Eastern PA | Registered: August 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StarTraveler:
quote:
Originally posted by 2Adefender:
Darn, $437.99 now.

2Adefender, you have to apply the promo code to get the reduced price.

CC201820PCT

Just checked it and it’s still good.

Ah, thanks! I overlooked that important information. The code still works.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
I am now debating between the Aimpoint Pro - $351 shipped, and the Burris AR-1X Prism Sight 1x 32mm with Integral Picatinny-Style Mount Matte for about $100 less at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ny-style-mount-matte

Is anybody here familiar with the Burris AR-1X ?? Opinions?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/bl...1x-best-red-dot-500/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I just tested it, CC201820PCT works on Yeti as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ace522
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know how long this code is good for?

Posts: 361 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: April 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ace522:
Does anyone know how long this code is good for?

No, but it looks they removed it for firearms in the last few hours.

NRA Patron Member, Instructor and CRSO
NC CCH Instructor
GRNC Life Member
VCDL Member

Posts: 1838 | Registered: April 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Still works for magazines. Also they have free shipping with no minimum.

I just ordered 3 Glock 33 rd mags for $101.74 total. Thanks for the heads up.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I am now debating between the Aimpoint Pro - $351 shipped, and the Burris AR-1X Prism Sight 1x 32mm with Integral Picatinny-Style Mount Matte for about $100 less at Midway:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...ny-style-mount-matte

Is anybody here familiar with the Burris AR-1X ?? Opinions?

What is your purpose for the optic?

The Aimpoint Pro is great for "CQB," while allowing for shots out to a couple hundred yards.

IMHO, the Burris reticle is too "busy" for "CQB," but the reticle is setup for long range shooting, but has a flaw there. It's my understanding that prism scopes don't work well with separate magnifiers. So if you want magnification for those long shots, and it's a prism scope, it needs to be built in to the optic.

I use my rifle at work for short "CQB" ranges, but want to have the ability to reach out 100-200 yards. As a result I like the EOTech 65 MOA dot, around the 1 MOA dot. The circle and dot are fast at short range, without being too busy. Also, with my rifle zeroed for 50/200 yards the bottom of the circle,I can make precision short range shots to account for the mechanical offset , of the dot from the bore.

Luckily I'm issued an EOTech XPS2-0 at work. If not I'd have to seriously consider the Aimpoint Pro, as the price difference is so great.

HoloSun also offers the 65 MOA circle, but with a 2 MOA dot, and for something that was not a primary defensive rifle I'd consider that, but for a work or primary home defense rifle, I want tested/trusted brands like Aimpoint, EOTech, Trijicon.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up. Ordered one last week and hopefully will be delivered today.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
I am now debating between the Aimpoint Pro and the Burris AR-1X Prism Sight for about $100 less at Midway

It's my understanding that prism scopes don't work well with separate magnifiers. So if you want magnification for those long shots, and it's a prism scope, it needs to be built in to the optic.

Correct.

Also, prismatic optics cannot be cowitnessed with iron sights.

And prismatic optics have limited eyeboxes, meaning head/eye position is more critical. (The eyeboxes are typically somewhat generous with a 1x prismatic, but not unlimited like a red dot, and get less generous on magnified prismatics beyond 1x, just like a traditional rifle scope.)

In all three of those ways, red dots like the Aimpoint PRO have the advantage. They can be magnified as needed with a flip-to-side magnifier. They can be cowitnessed with backup iron sights. And they have unlimited eye relief, so as long as you can physically see the dot inside the tube you can use the reticle from whatever suboptimal/funky head position you've found yourself in.

However, prismatic optics like the Burris AR-1X have two specific advantages over red dots: Their reticles are etched on the glass, so prismatic optics are not affected by astigmatism, which can cause projected red dot reticles to be distorted if the shooter has astigmatism. Also, again because of the etched reticle, the unlit reticle can still be seen and used if the battery dies or the electronics fail.

For a 1x/unmagnified optic, I'd recommend a red dot over a prismatic, unless you have such a severe astigmatism that it renders red dots unusable. (People with minor astigmatism can still use red dots without any difficulty.) The other benefit of the etched reticle isn't as critical, as long as you have a quality red dot like an Aimpoint that is unlikely to fail, you have a set of backup iron sights just in case, and you make sure to change your red dot's battery every couple years. Most quality red dots these days have battery lives in the 30k-50k hour range, which is roughly 3.5 to 5.5 years of constant-on.

Besides, an Aimpoint is a much higher quality optic than a Burris. Well worth the extra $100 in this case.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
In all three of those ways, red dots like the Aimpoint PRO have the advantage.
However, prismatic optics like the Burris AR-1X have two specific advantages over red dots:

Ok, now I'm confused.... I thought the Burris AR-1X was also a red dot sight.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24055 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The Burris AR-1X is a prismatic sight, not a reflex sight like the Aimpoint PRO.

Both of these prismatic and reflex sights are 1x/unmagnified optics with illuminated reticles, but they use two very different means to achieve it.

Depending on how loosely you define "red dot sight", it might encompass both types of sights, but "red dot sight" is generally used to refer to reflex sights with a LED-projected reticle, which is most often a bright red-colored dot. (Hence the name.)

Holographic sights like Eotechs are a third distinct type of 1x illuminated reticle optic, but they function somewhat similarly to reflex sights. Both reflex and holographic sights use an emitter (either LED or laser) and a series of reflectors to project a reticle into the user's field of view.

Prismatic optics are closer in design to traditional telescopic rifle scopes, just with a serious of prisms instead of lenses. With both prism and lens scopes, the reticle is etched on the lens/prism.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Depending on how loosely you define "red dot", it might encompass both types of sights

OK, gotcha. I think I'm just going to have to try both. FWIW, I don't plan on doing much "CQB" as I've never been in a "Close Quarters Battle" situation and my range shooting is mostly at 50/75/100 yards. I'm fine at 50/75 yards with open or iron sights, but at 100 yards or more my vision is getting fuzzy.

-rduckwor