SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need advice: choosing wifi camera to be able to watch my dog
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need advice: choosing wifi camera to be able to watch my dog Login/Join 
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Did you try entering the IP address of the camera in Internet Explorer? If not give that a try. If you have your camera set up on DHCP you can find the IP address using the downloadable Amcrest app "Amcres IP Config" or the command line code. I set my camera up with a static IP address to make this easier down the line. This works pretty well. There is also a free app called "IP Camera Viewer 4". It's not from Amcrest buy google will find it for you pretty quickly and you can download from CNET. It's just a simple PC viewer but works pretty well.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Personally, of the WiFi security cameras I've researched, lately, the one member K0ZZZ came up with in Blink 100% wireless security cameras looked the best to me.

I just ordered a Reolink C1 Pro for indoors and an Argus for outdoors. The C1 Pro is powered by AC and the Argus by four CR123s or 16340 rechargeables.

I was pretty impressed with the C1 Pro's night vision capability

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Personally, of the WiFi security cameras I've researched, lately, the one member K0ZZZ came up with in Blink 100% wireless security cameras looked the best to me.

I just ordered a Reolink C1 Pro for indoors and an Argus for outdoors. The C1 Pro is powered by AC and the Argus by four CR123s or 16340 rechargeables.

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uIb94bk6zD0" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The Blink requires a separate hub which is a huge minus for me.

I just ordered a Reolink Argus for my mother. Just wanting a front door cam so figured it would be the best for the current price of $85 on Amazon and likely $20 a year in batteries.
Will probably grab her a second for the back door if it seems to do well.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25353 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uIb94bk6zD0" width="420"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

The Blink requires a separate hub which is a huge minus for me.

The thread title is "Blink," but K0ZZZ' recommendation was the Argus.

quote:
I just ordered a Reolink Argus for my mother. Just wanting a front door cam so figured it would be the best for the current price of $85 on Amazon and likely $20 a year in batteries.

Where did you see it for $85? I just ordered one from Amazon Prime and it was $99.99. The C1 Pro was $85.

quote:
Will probably grab her a second for the back door if it seems to do well.

I'll try the one Argus and the one C1 Pro. If they work well, I'll buy a 2nd Argus for the back and a C1 Pro for the man cave. Then I'll call it a day. I might have dreams of covering every last inch of the outside and all the major indoor rooms, but, deep in my heart I know it'll probably never happen and some video surveillance is better than none at all.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Just get another dog...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where did you see it for $85? I just ordered one from Amazon Prime and it was $99.99. The C1 Pro was $85.[/QUOTE]

From Amazon make sure you are ordering from Reolink on Amazon and use promo code OYR4PWEI
That code is supposed to be good until October 31.

I'll have 5 POE cameras outside as I have easy access to the attic and eaves. Then run a single Ethernet cable from my utility closet in the basement to the attic and stick a POE switch in the attic that connects all the cameras.
Then one mounted above my safe.

Easy peasy install at my place thankfully. Not so simple at my mother's house but she does not need the security like I do. All he vehicles are in the garage and not much available foot traffic is had. So a camera on each door will suffice. So I am hoping the Argus holds up and is as good as the third party reviewers claim for simple viewing.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Did you try entering the IP address of the camera in Internet Explorer? If not give that a try. If you have your camera set up on DHCP you can find the IP address using the downloadable Amcrest app "Amcres IP Config" or the command line code. I set my camera up with a static IP address to make this easier down the line. This works pretty well. There is also a free app called "IP Camera Viewer 4". It's not from Amcrest buy google will find it for you pretty quickly and you can download from CNET. It's just a simple PC viewer but works pretty well.

You still can't view the video without the plugin that for some reason absolutly will not install on any browsers on Windows 10.
You can access all the menus and do camera specific configurations but one can not view the live video.
I presume it is a Windows 10 issue as I have an old Mac running and OSX that is no longer supported by Apple but I forget which one and it shows the video on an old unupdatable Safari browser with no issues.

————————————————

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You still can't view the video without the plugin that for some reason absolutly will not install on any browsers on Windows 10.
You can access all the menus and do camera specific configurations but one can not view the live video.
I presume it is a Windows 10 issue as I have an old Mac running and OSX that is no longer supported by Apple but I forget which one and it shows the video on an old unupdatable Safari browser with no issues.

Runs fine on my W10 PC, although you do need to use Internet Explorer. Chrome and FireFox are no go. I haven't tried MS Edge but suspect it won't work there either.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Runs fine on my W10 PC, although you do need to use Internet Explorer. Chrome and FireFox are no go. I haven't tried MS Edge but suspect it won't work there either.

Tried that as did Amcrest customer support to no avail.

————————————————

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

Tried that as did Amcrest customer support to no avail.

So you'll know I'm not smoking weed, here's a screen shot with the Amcrest app

-D.H. Lawrence

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sure would like to know how you managed it.
I can't get it to accept the plugin. Nor could Amcrest support they got fed up and just installed the prosoftware for me, which I tried but is not very good.
I can still manage all the settings in any browser just can't see the feed.
I beleive it is an ActiveX plugin and it seems to give my machine and others fits.

————————————————

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Interim, very brief, very superficial update (time constraints):

Reolink Argus: Easy setup. Seems to work well at first blush. (Only played with it indoors. It's going to front porch watch this morning.)

Reolink C1 Pro: Utter fail Frown It came up on the wired network, configured and worked well enough, but wireless was a total loss. Could only get it on 5GHz and the packet loss rate sometimes hit 100%. The app had difficultly connecting when the camera was on WiFi, and it never did succeed in actually viewing the camera. This one's probably going back. I doubt it's my WiFi network (Ubiquiti UniFi AP Pro). Everything else works well with it, on both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:
Originally posted by bigeinkcmo:
quote:

This model is 69.99 on Amazon if you use coupon code CPDM4S9K
Amcrest IP2M-841 ProHD 1080P (1920TVL) Wireless WiFi IP Camera, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014...cp_api_b6T1zb67PF3TM

Whichever fits your needs better

Just grabbed this deal, thanks for the heads-up!

So I got this yesterday and tried to get it to work on my network but was unable to do so. I was using the WiFi/phone setup and every time I tried to connect "live view" or see anything with the camera is would just say the connection failed and was blank. Even after it said it connected and paired initially, it wouldn't do anything. I tried installing/uninstalling the Amcryest app on my iPhone 7 and also rebooting the camera several times...again nothing worked.

Not sure what exactly I was doing wrong but a lot of app store folks say the app is pretty poor. Seemed to take forever to do anything. I just returned it and will start looking again. Noting I did not mess with the desktop setup to see if that would resolve it.

I had to completely close out the program and restart the app to view live feed on the phone.
Did you try it on the computer??

Sucks because I am quite happy with the quality of the video the camera produces their software just really sucks.
Though it pairs nicely with BlueIris so the Amcrest software is not really needed.

————————————————

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
They do say in the instructions that setting it up via WiFi is marginal and suggest using the wired method to get it set up. That is, plug the camera into your router and follow the steps on the app. After it is set up wired, you continue to set up the WiFi and can unplug from the router and put it where every you like provided it can receive a signal from your WiFi router. Must be 2.4 not 5.0.

-D.H. Lawrence

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I did read the tips and what not. I didn't connect via the desktop or using ethernet. I was hoppng to use my phone and WiFi, and just grew annoyed pretty quickly unfortunately.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
An update to the update...

quote:
Interim, very brief, very superficial update (time constraints):

Reolink Argus: Easy setup. Seems to work well at first blush. (Only played with it indoors. It's going to front porch watch this morning.)

Used this thing during a three-day-and-two-night mini-vacation. It's sitting just out of reach from the front porch/deck, attached to the underside of the soffit.

It does "ok." PIR triggering is a bit inconsistent. Plus you cannot change the length of time it'll record when triggered and nine seconds doesn't really cut it. If I put it much closer to the front door it'll be easily-reached and taken out-of-service. I think mainly it'll serve as a deterrent and there'll be no more "stealth deliveries" from USPS/UPS/FedEx/whomever.

quote:
Reolink C1 Pro: Utter fail Frown It came up on the wired network, configured and worked well enough, but wireless was a total loss.

Got back from our short trip and got to thinking... Problem solved. I had the AP set up on the main/default SSID for what's called "band steering." That is supposed to allow the AP to tell clients "use <this> band, rather than the one you chose." Most WiFi clients either work with it or blithely ignore it. But it confuses some clients, and the Reolink C1 Pro is one of those. I turned off the "shared" SSID on 5GHZ, told the camera to use the 5GHz-only SSID, and it worked like a champ.

So now I'll be setting that up and experimenting with it.

The iOS App

Fair to middling. Sometimes has trouble connecting to a camera, particularly when a phone has recently transitioned from WiFi to cellular or vice-versa. Sometimes just plain won't connect. Most times does ok.

The playback of video recorded on an installed µSD card is clunky, particularly on a smaller screen. There doesn't seem to be any way to tell it to only play unseen clips nor delete individual clips.

Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
You might want to check on the piper nv but it's got monthly cloud fee .

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post