SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Outpatient hernia surgery today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outpatient hernia surgery today. Login/Join 
posted
At hospital at 5:30 am, surgery at 9 am. General anesthesia. 2 percocets on discharge , rx for meds and home at 12:30 pm. Not too bad so far.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wait til tonight. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Keep icing the area.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Make sure you can pee.

Else get to Emergency, stat.

Seriously, make sure.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yuck! That's in my future, if I can figure out how to pay for it. Frown

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No problem peeing. Drinking lots of fluids. Hospital called it my get out card.
Cannot get bandage wet. But can remove it tomorrow. Have some sort of bandaids under the dressing that will fall off on their own. .have a wrapped cold pack.

Posts: 547 | Location: Dothan, Alabama | Registered: August 27, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had it done years ago. The worst part is they must have used an extra large catheter because when I tried to urinate, I knew how Tom Hanks character felt in "The Green Mile", when he said it felt like pissing razors. Good to hear you had no problems.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmer:
No problem peeing. Drinking lots of fluids. Hospital called it my get out card.
Cannot get bandage wet. But can remove it tomorrow. Have some sort of bandaids under the dressing that will fall off on their own. .have a wrapped cold pack.

You're lucky. They just released me. I had to go back to the ER and get catheterized. I still suffer PTSD from having my happy place so rudely raped.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^ This. I had to stay overnight as the sedation put me under pretty hard. Actually the worst part was the gorgeous nurse, (even my wife and folks said she was amazingly beautiful), told me she would have to cath. me again if I couldn't urinate. I was going to go on my own no matter what.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a large pillow over my lap for protection. As I have 2 large cats that like to lap sit.

posted Hide Post
I had it done a few years ago. No big deal on the recovery as long as you take it easy and ice the incision.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will have to brag on my ex-wife. Daughter was out of town. Ex offered to let spend the night, fed me, got me up at 4 am. (Cannot hear alarm clock ). Drove me to hospital, stayed with me.
Did several stops on way home. Etc.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Glad so far so good for you!. I had open mesh hernia repair last September out patient. I wish my doctor had recommended stool softener because I was constipated the next morning and that is no fun after hernia surgery because you don't want to stress that incision.

Don't be alarmed if you get a lot of purple below the belt as I did. My one nut also swelled to about three times normal size the first week but that was back to normal after a couple months.

I took mostly max dose of ibuprofen for the swelling. Sleeping was a bit difficult as I don't normally sleep on my back and had to keep a couple pillows between my legs for comfort due to swelling.

I got around fine as soon as I got home including up and down the stairs and lifting a gallon of milk was fine and about the most doc said I could do for the first week. Pain increased a bit after about 48 hours as local anesthesia to incision wore off but plenty tolerable for me.

Definitely glad I got it done though.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. Stool softeners was on my discharge notes. About 3 pages of instructions. To do and what not to do. Have a young friend who stops by about every 4 hours to check on me.

Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it went well. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1935 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gonna have my second hernia surgery a week from Friday. First was eleven years ago. I remember it being no picnic, but doc this time will be using "_____-scopic" I think he said. Three small incisions instead of one large. Supposed to be easier recovery. I certainly hope so. Hope yours continues to go well.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
Don't be alarmed if you get a lot of purple below the belt as I did. My one nut also swelled to about three times normal size the first week but that was back to normal after a couple months.

Yeah, I looked like someone had beat me in the privates with a baseball bat. Pain down there wasn't an issue, but it was a couple of weeks before I could go back to work, and sitting at my desk was usually go painful pretty quick. Plan to spend a lot of time laying back for the first several days.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmer:
At hospital at 5:30 am, surgery at 9 am. General anesthesia. 2 percocets on discharge , rx for meds and home at 12:30 pm. Not too bad so far.
Trust me, you need two things:

This

and This

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had conventional surgery for a double hernia. Ended up with 2, 4.5 inch incisions. Looked like I'd been field dressed. 6 weeks off work and had to ice the incisions every day after work for 6 months. Damn..... Good buddy had his done and said his privates turn black. They didn't get any bigger though.

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just having a good time
Picture of ragman
posted Hide Post
Had surgery 7 months ago. It was no fun but now I am in great shape. My surgery lasted 6 hours. Recovery took 6 weeks. What ever you do,don't cough. Wink

" I didn't fail the test,I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." - Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1489 | Location: N. C. | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddle_mann
posted Hide Post
Had two repaired about 10 years apart. First one went well. Second one I was much fatter and when I loose weight it starts to hurt. When I asked the doc how to fix he said "another surgery" Ugh

Second fix threw up from the anesthesia but otherwise went well.

I never take narcotic based pain killers. Advil was enough for me.

Pissed off beats scared every time…

- Frank Castle

Posts: 3811 | Registered: March 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post