SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    To living simple... answer truthfully!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To living simple... answer truthfully! Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
My wife and i grew up living simple. No running water at times. (She drew from a well). No electricity. Wood burning stoves (even in the south [she is from central america]). We know how to garden, butcher, farm, etc.

We aim to live this way as adults...it will take some time but...can you truthfully give up modern conveniences?
Can you work all day?

Answer truthfully!

Can you honestly live without modern advances? Not a question of are you mentally capable, but can you physically do it?

We often pride ourselves on 10k rounds ammo or the like...but what do you truly expect?

We are a gun forum, and very knowledgeable, but given a worse case scenario, are you set up for success?

The most important prep you can make is to better yourself physically! Are you prepared?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OttoSig,

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
My wife and i grew up living simple. No running water at times. (She drew from a well). No electricity. Wood burnign stoves (even in the south [she is from central america]). We know how to garden, butcher, farm, etc.

We aim to live this way as adults...it will take some time but...can you truthfully give up modern conveniences?
<snip>

I doubt that I could. I certainly don’t plan to try it. Smile

I’ve worked hard my whole life and lived simply so I could have a comfortable retirement. I plan to enjoy it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8854 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Could I survive? Perhaps, especially if I moved to a more temperate environment.

But I could not give up certain conveniences willingly.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I probably couldn't live as simple as you describe your lives, I know my wife couldn't. I would like to live a life without all the invasive technology, something like the 1960s would be fine with me.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Could I? Physically? Sure, I'm in ok shape, not on any meds, and my blood work is all in order.

Practically? I haven't butchered my own animals or done any subsistence farming, but I've tended a garden, camped and hiked in the backcountry, and have travelled the world.

But...why would I want to? Living simply is an easy way to slow down life so you can enjoy it. Or, you can just choose to enjoy life. It's like saying "I handwrite notes so I can consider what I'm saying." Sure, useful tool. Or, you can just be mindful of what you are saying as you type, and skip the crutch.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
I might exist but I wouldn't thrive.

In the very early 80's I was homeless for about 4mos. Lived in a tent, in a wooded area by a lake and stream. Survived by my wits. No mail, phone or power. It was a grand opportunity to "get to know myself" and learn what I was truly all about. I existed but certainly didn't thrive. I'd see people driving on the road, going places and shopping. Pretty much whatever they wanted when they wanted. None of those were my options and I felt the world was passing me by. Thankfully I was able to pull myself up by my bootstraps and out of the "simple" life that I now know I'm capable of existing in.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Could I? Physically? Sure, I'm in ok shape, not on any meds, and my blood work is all in order.

Practically? I haven't butchered my own animals or done any subsistence farming, but I've tended a garden, camped and hiked in the backcountry, and have travelled the world.

But...why would I want to? Living simply is an easy way to slow down life so you can enjoy it. Or, you can just choose to enjoy life. It's like saying "I handwrite notes so I can consider what I'm saying." Sure, useful tool. Or, you can just be mindful of what you are saying as you type, and skip the crutch.

Thank you for the post, but what if you cant "choose"? I would never choose it, not just for me but for the greater good. And enjoying life will be different depending on the situation. Family says they are happy, and i dont doubt they are, but they likely wont be later.

Posts: 6253 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
To be blunt, why would I want to? I like modern life. I have no desire to live anything like a pioneer lifestyle. When I look at what people used to go through, I respect that they were able to live that way, but comparing what they went through to how I live, I'd take my lifestyle in split second.

quote:
My wife and i grew up living simple. No running water at times. (She drew from a well). No electricity. Wood burning stoves (even in the south [she is from central america]). We know how to garden, butcher, farm, etc.

Can you work all day?

Answer truthfully!

I run 5 miles a day. 1000 push ups a week, do a 3 minute plank every hour.

Can you honestly live without modern advances? Not a question of are you mentally capable, but can you physically do it?

We often pride ourselves on 10k rounds ammo or the like...but what do you truly expect?

We are a gun forum, and very knowledgeable, but given a worse case scenario, are you set up for success?

The most important prep you can make is to better yourself physically! Are you prepared?

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might be reading your question wrong so I will try to answer all my interpretations.

I don’t want to live in that manner. After a life of America, going to 3rd world conditions would make life unenjoyable to a large extent.

Living simple on the other hand is fantastic. Stuff just becomes an anchor around your neck and doesn’t make you happy. Hauling water from a stream vs using the tap water from the faucet though strains my definition of “simple”.

Last interpretation. Guys like to prep for all eventualities but fail to prep the most important one. Your physical strength and well being. If you drop of a heart attack while sitting on a cache of ammo that would make a South American dictator proud then you have missed the point. How many guys we know at our gun clubs who talk about their war fighting strategies and they can’t run a mile?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
I might exist but I wouldn't thrive.

In the very early 80's I was homeless for about 4mos. Lived in a tent, in a wooded area by a lake and stream. Survived by my wits. No mail, phone or power. It was a grand opportunity to "get to know myself" and learn what I was truly all about. I existed but certainly didn't thrive. I'd see people driving on the road, going places and shopping. Pretty much whatever they wanted when they wanted. None of those were my options and I felt the world was passing me by. Thankfully I was able to pull myself up by my bootstraps and out of the "simple" life that I now know I'm capable of existing in.

Thank you for your story, but just imagine you living your simple life and others are in your same position! Every past stoey has a variable, future stories will not.

Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
To be blunt, why would I want to? I like modern life. I have no desire to live anything like a pioneer lifestyle. When I look at what people used to go through, I respect that they were able to live that way, but comparing what they went through to how I live, I'd take my lifestyle in split second.

quote:

Can you work all day?

Answer truthfully!

I run 5 miles a day. 1000 push ups a week, do a 3 minute plank every hour.

BB,

Thanks for your post!!!

I read it and will counter with this...while you may not choose this life, what if it was pressed upon you?

posted Hide Post
Every past story has a variable, future stories will not?

I don’t understand the point you are trying to make. As I read that sentence it is wildly assumptive and flawed. The future has an incredibly high chance of being a modern rehash of the past. Substitute old for new, fashion for fashion, old standards for new, and what you likely end up with is that problems people suffer from remain largely similar or are replaced by better solutions to one conundrum only to gain a different problem. Ie, take this medicine but beware these side effects.

Contrary to every end of the world fan out there, the world hasn’t ended in thousands upon thousands of years. Even though we have had the means to do so for quite some time.

Of course the future life will have variables and no one can accurately predict what they will be. Prior history is quite clear though that life on Earth will soldier on regardless of the dire predictions of preppers everywhere.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thank you for your story, but just imagine you living your simple life and others are in your same position! Every past stoey has a variable, future stories will not.

Living the simple life at the most base level forces skills and knowledge one may not have learned or used otherwise. Always good to have those tools because things can go south at any given moment. Been there done that, hope to never have to again but know it could happen. If it does happen again, there will be warning signs and I'll be better prepared ... hopefully.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I doubt many could survive, even those who think they are prepared, for a true simple pioneer life. If the comet sends us all back to the stone age, most will die. Some countries wouldn't notice the difference, but most of us wouldn't make it. No medicines, inability to have basic hygiene, foraging for food that's not clean and disease free USDA, nope.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I'd rather die. I like living in the future.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
I scream at the microwave, "Hurry, Hurry!"

So, no.

Posts: 4069 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I doubt many could survive, even those who think they are prepared, for a true simple pioneer life. If the comet sends us all back to the stone age, most will die. Some countries wouldn't notice the difference, but most of us wouldn't make it. No medicines, inability to have basic hygiene, foraging for food that's not clean and disease free USDA, nope.

True, I doubt many could survive w/o Amazon, Google and Facebook... Roll Eyes

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8785 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The simple answer is sure, many could. You just need to look back a short 175 years ago in our countries history. Which is not all that long ago and everyone regardless of age of physical condition lived this way.

Now peoples willingness to go without amenities is a whole different thing.

But you would not need to be a workout rat to live a simple, self sufficient life style in your 70's or even eighties if you choose to do it.

There are people doing it now in this country that most everyone else would not even think that it is possible Calling them a hermit or some other derogatory name.

So sure it is doable by many. It is a mindset above and beyond anything else.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I might survive, but in reality, it would be a roll of the dice. Everyday living (maintaining shelter, gathering food and water) would be a never ending demand that would be onerous to keep up. And what would you do in case of injury or illness?
I spend a good deal of time researching the pioneer past of where I now live. Life was hard and unforgiving. And it was especially hard for women of that time. I would not want to adopt that type of existence.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Nope. I couldn't live a subsistence lifestyle.

I could survive for quite some time but I could not "live" that way. My survival would be contingent on the hope that my way of life would return to "normal".

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post