SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Great Lakes Airlines gone
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Great Lakes Airlines gone Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted
They cease all ops tonight at midnight.

http://www.greatlakesav.com/

Too bad.......

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
In grad school I did a research paper on the economics of the commercial airline industry. It is a very tough business.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, that's one I've never actually heard of.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's be honest. This isn't a bad thing.

The writing was on the wall when they tried to skate around the need for ATP qualified pilots by reducing to Part 135 and removing seats on the aircraft, and the only reason they ever managed to stay in business was subsidized funding as an essential air service (EAS) provider.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whelp,

Good thing we didn’t end up there...

Posts: 105 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 06, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merldizzle:
Whelp,

Good thing we didn’t end up there...

Yes sir.

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
In grad school I did a research paper on the economics of the commercial airline industry. It is a very tough business.

How to become a millionaire:

1. Acquire $20M
2. Buy an airline
3. Wait two years.

Congrats, you are now a millionaire. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Quite a few years ago I trained one of our SIGforum members for the Instrument Rating. He subsequently built a lot of time, much of it instructing, and he went on to airline jobs.

Last I heard he was flying 757 / 767s, but his first job was Beech 1900s, and I'm pretty sure that it was with Great Lakes.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Interesting name for an airline that goes nowhere near a Great Lake..... Route Map

Well, I guess I should have said, "Interesting name for an ex-airline that went nowhere near a Great Lake" given they've ceased operations.

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Well shit. My wife has relatives in and around Pierre, SD. Great lakes was the only option from Denver. The 8 hour drive sucks.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I wondered how I could live my whole life in Michigan and not have heard of Great Lakes Airlines. Then I saw there route map. That name was some great marketing. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1680 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
Interesting name for an airline that goes nowhere near a Great Lake..... Route Map

I haven’t needed Great Lakes for awhile now, but I can see the airports they serviced had already been greatly diminished. Options for people who don’t live in proximity to a major airport are rapidly approaching—zero. That’s too bad.

I will admit that on at least one occasion, I was literally the ONLY passenger on the plane. This would have been on a 19 place, turboprop model, probably a Bombardier Dash 8. Cockpit door was open and the three of us visited throughout the flight. Another reason the flight was memorable—the nastiest crosswind I’ve ever experienced at the airport in Lamar, Colorado. The pilot handled it beautifully.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
Options for people who don’t live in proximity to a major airport are rapidly approaching—zero. That’s too bad.

I believe GL was the only airline to fly into Pierre. Frown

Hopefully another carrier will fill the void.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are listed as the only airline to fly direct into our tiny airport, just a couple flights daily from a couple cities ( Denver and LA if memory serves) otherwise is a 90 minutes drive to the “regular” airport. Wonder if some other commuter type line will take its place

Posts: 3287 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
posted Hide Post
Boutique Air may step up.

FBLM LGB!

posted Hide Post
I have been at a number of locations over the years where Great Lakes has been removed from service, due to unreliability.

They were one of the lowest paying, if not the lowest paying airlines in the country, with pilot wages below the poverty level.

When experience requirements were raised for pilots operating in airline operations a few years ago, Great Lakes responded by changing their legal status to a charter operation, and removed seats from their aircraft. With less than 10 passenger seats, they tried to skate the regulation requiring a second crew member and an airline transport pilot certificate, and continued operating. While other commuter and regional operations have been increasing wages, adding equipment for safety, and improving their operation, GLA was always a race to the bottom.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Money won is sweeter
than money earned
Picture of Rick_Perry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
I wondered how I could live my whole life in Michigan and not have heard of Great Lakes Airlines. Then I saw there route map. That name was some great marketing. Smile
Rod

I'm with you. I was wondering the same thing until I saw the map.

Einstein defines insanity as "Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results"

Posts: 3086 | Location: SE MI | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:

I used to own a piece of Midway Airlines.
It was a painful lesson.

Then I heard a great piece of advice:
If it flys, floats or f***s, rent it!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24072 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pretty good run for sure.

Great Lakes Aviation traces its success back to April 15th with the creation of Spirit Lake Airways. Found by Doug Voss and Ivan Simpson in Spirit Lake, Iowa, the company offered flight instruction, charter service, and aircraft maintenance.

Great Lakes Aviation officially incorporated on October 25th; the Company name change reflected its expansion in the Iowa Great Lakes Region of Northwest Iowa.

First scheduled passenger flight began on October 12th between between Spencer and Des Moines, Iowa.

On June 15th, the company acquired its first of eight Beechcraft 99 Turboprop airliners.

In August, the company acquired its first Chicago O' Hare landing FAA slot lottery. This event allowed the beginning of scheduled service to Chicago O' Hare. In October , Great Lakes Aviation was selected by the U.S. Department of Transportation to provide service to its first subsidized Essential Air Service Routes.

Great Lakes Aviation took delivery of their first Beechcraft 1900 Turboprop airliner with 19-seat capacity.

April 1st Great Lakes acquired Alliance Airline's route structures and it's Chicago O'Hare landing slots, greatly enhancing the companies presence at Chicago O'Hare.

In June, Great Lakes began providing scheduled air service to Denver's Stapleton Airport from cities in, Iowa, Nebraska and North Dakota.

On April 25th Great Lakes Aviation inaugurated service as a United Express carrier through a comprehensive marketing agreement with United Airlines.

On January 20th, the Company completed an initial public offering of its stock trading on the NASDAQ exchange under GLUX. The proceeds allowed the acquisition of larger aircraft. In May, Great Lakes Aviation purchased it's first of twelve Embraer Brasilia aircraft, which provide 30-seat capacity and in-flight service. The company also took delivery of its first Beechcraft 1900D airliner, which features a stand-up cabin enhancing passenger comfort.

Great Lakes Aviation was selected by United Airlines to provide regional air service at 20 locations in Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Kansas and Nebraska to feed the Denver Hub.

Great Lakes Aviation signed a lease with the Cheyenne Airport in May that facilitated a move from Spencer, Iowa to Cheyenne, Wyoming. The state of Wyoming provided funding to build a new maintenance facility and corporate headquarters for Great Lakes Aviation. Construction began in August.

The move into the final phase of the new Corporate Headquarters was complete and creating approximately 150 new positions in Wyoming.

On May 1st, Great Lakes Aviation announced a re-branding from the United Express to it's own independent identity "Great Lakes Airlines." A new code-share agreement with United Airlines was negotiated, allowing the company to arrange similar code-sharing relationships with other airlines. On July 9th, a code-share agreement began with Frontier Airlines bringing their affordable fares to communities served by Great Lakes Airlines.

In August, Great Lakes welcomed new CEO, Chuck Howell. Mr. Howell came to Great Lakes from Nashville, Tennessee, where he served the previous six years as President/CEO of Corporate Airlines - a regional airline that has code-share agreements with Midway, Trans World and American Airlines.

Great Lakes Airlines began offering their own inflight magazine, 'Peaks & Plains', to spotlight the small communities they serve.

Great Lakes Airlines entered into its first Interline Electronic Ticketing agreement with US Airways allowing for a Great Lakes flight to be purchased in combination with a US Airways flight and passengers receive just one ticket.

Great Lakes celebrates its 30th year of airline service. They sign Interline Electronic Ticketing agreements with American Airlines and Delta Airlines. Great Lakes began expanding to 7 new communities with service into Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport (MSP).

The expansion into MSP continued well into 2012, returning Great Lakes to the hub city where its headquarters were located for a short period of time.

In August implementation of new 1500 hour ATP First Officer qualifications goes into effect.

In January new Part 117 Flight & Duty Time Rest Rules took effect.
In March received FAA authorization adding Part 135 Operation Specifications to existing Part 121 Certificate. Also, in March added Delta SkyMiles program to all Delta ticketed flights.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Warren Buffett has claimed that all the money invested in commercial scheduled airline passenger service since the Wright Brothers has been lost.

Not only no return ON investment, no return OF investment.

He claimed he had an 800 number to call when he throught of investing in airlines, 1-800-Just-Say-No.

The last few years, he has changed his mind apparently, as Berkshire has pretty sizeable stakes in Southwest, among others.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post