SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mississippi police shoot, kill man while serving warrant at wrong house
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mississippi police shoot, kill man while serving warrant at wrong house Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

One officer fired shots at the pit bull that hurtled out of the mobile home in Southaven, Miss., police said. The other officer fired at the person pointing a gun from behind the cracked front door.

They had been trying to serve an arrest warrant in an aggravated assault case at a mobile home in the neighborhood before the sudden explosion of gunfire Sunday night. When they surveyed the aftermath, they made a heart-dropping discovery: They were at the wrong home.

Ismael Lopez likely never knew why officers were at his door - or even that they were officers.

What authorities know is that the officers involved, who have not been named, were trying to serve an arrest warrant at the house. When they approached, the door was open a crack and the gun was aimed at them, authorities said.

"The officers began hollering 'Put the gun down! Put the gun down! Put the gun down! Put the gun down!' at which point that did not occur," District Attorney John Champion told the Commercial Appeal. "More than one shot was fired toward the door. There was a subject, a male subject, inside the residence that was killed as a result of this gunfire."

No one else was injured, and it's unclear if Lopez ever fired a shot at officers.

The district attorney stressed that Lopez, 41, didn't have a warrant out for his arrest or a criminal record.

"The deceased subject had absolutely no warrant for his arrest," Champion told Jackson, Miss., CBS-affiliate WJTV. "He wasn't wanted for anything at all. I want to make that abundantly clear at this point."

Lopez's family has hired a lawyer, and people close to him tried to reconcile how a kind mechanic with a penchant for helping those in need could meet such a violent end.

Family friend Jordan Castillo told the Commercial Appeal that Lopez was a native of Veracruz, Mexico, who had lived and worked in the United States for years. He had been a mechanic for the city of Bartlett and operated a small mechanic's shop across the street from his home. Castillo described Lopez as a father figure.

On Monday, Castillo showed reporters the broken railing on the front porch of Lopez's home and the three bullet holes in its front door.

"If you're shooting through a door in that manner, you don't know who's behind that door."

The family's attorney, Murray Wells told reporters the house officers should have gone to, had a large 'P' on the door.

"They should have never been on the property in the first place," he told the Commercial Appeal.

He also has disputed several aspects of the police department's account. He told Jackson, Miss., NBC-affiliate WMCA that Lopez didn't have a gun in his hand when he was shot and that neighbors and Lopez's wife, who had been in bed with him, didn't hear officers tell him multiple times to drop the gun.

According to Wells, Lopez's wife stayed in bed while he went to the door to see what was happening outside. That's when she heard gunshots. She ran to her husband, but by the time she reached him, he was dead.

As the investigation continues, Wells said the family was most concerned about not having Lopez's name marred by the violent way he died.

"They've been in that home for 13 years. The only time the police had ever been there was when they had been robbed," Wells told WMCA. "No criminal history whatsoever. A long-standing employee of the city of Bartlett, mechanic. Loved in the neighborhood."

Samuel Pearman, the man police were actually looking for on Sunday night, said they had also disparaged his name, according to WMCA. He went on Facebook Live saying the accusations against him were false.

"They made me out to be something I'm not," he said. "I haven't hurt her. She's the one who slapped me."

Lopez's shooting happened as U.S. police departments are under intense scrutiny for their use of lethal force, especially against minorities.

According to The Washington Post's Fatal Force database, 559 people have been shot by police this year. In 2016, 963 people were killed by police.

--

Cleve Wootson wrote this for The Washington Post.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Report This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
No knock warrants, asset forfeiture...

Things got to change!

Fuimus
posted Hide Post
"No one else was injured, and it's unclear if Lopez ever fired a shot at officers."

That would be easy to clear up.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Report This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
There will be a substantial sum of money given to this guys family to make the issue go away. I would like to see those involved held accountable and like Snapping Twig, I think this shit has to change, but I am not holding my breath.

Posts: 2824 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snapping Twig:
No knock warrants, asset forfeiture...

Things got to change!

There is no indication that this was either a no-knock warrant, or asset forfeiture.

If the officers went to a house and were greeted by a man pointing a gun at them, which may or may not be what happened, it is hard to fault them for defending themselves.

If that is not what happened, it is hard to defend them from that fault.

We will see.

But do not confuse serving an arrest warrant with serving a search warrant. Nationwide, tens of thousands of arrest warrants are served every day. A few thousand dynamic search warrants on physical locations are served every week. A small percentage of those are truly no-knock.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no indication that this was either a no-knock warrant, or asset forfeiture.

If the officers went to a house and were greeted by a man pointing a gun at them, which may or may not be what happened, it is hard to fault them for defending themselves.

Yeah, not to mention the charging pit bull. Mobile home park in Southhaven, probably a little sketchy. All the facts are not out. I recall a case in which SWAT got the wrong house and the homeowner thinking it was a break in decided to clear the house with his AR 15. It is situations like this that all homeowners need to think about.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I didn't read, even in the police account, that they identified themselves as police officers, but rather shouted "put the gun down!"

So is that the new standard? Follow any "lawful" command, on your property, at any time, without proper identification? I know, I know, the facts will come out....

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I didn't read, even in the police account, that they identified themselves as police officers, but rather shouted "put the gun down!"

So is that the new standard? Follow any "lawful" command, on your property, at any time, without proper identification? I know, I know, the facts will come out....

What if it had been the UPS guy? A Morman? The water meter guy?

You can't just point a gun at people because they are on your stoop. They can shoot back, you know. Cop or not.

And as perfect as everyone is, sometimes yelling shit like "Quit Resisting!" or "Police!" goes out the window when you're looking down the barrel of a gun and your lizard brain has taken over. Police...and everyone else...are not required to give a warning before using deadly force when they are looking down a barrel.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:

You can't just point a gun at people because they are on your stoop. They can shoot back, you know. Cop or not.

And as perfect as everyone is, sometimes yelling shit like "Quit Resisting!" or "Police!" goes out the window when you're looking down the barrel of a gun and your lizard brain has taken over. Police...and everyone else...are not required to give a warning before using deadly force when they are looking down a barrel.

Why do you say the deceased pointed a gun? Whose word do you have on that?

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You mean the gun that the family disputes was even in his hands? Maybe the same way nobody heard anything about putting a gun down? Hmmm.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Report This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
BTW, this is in my town, and I know many of the officers in this area. Most are great guys. A few truly need to have another line of work. Either way, I wish it never happened, but I do pray that justice is done for both the family and (if they were at fault) the officers in the shooting.

-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Windhover:
quote:
quote:

Why do you say the deceased pointed a gun? Whose word do you have on that?

The same article you read. Which leaves out a lot of information, like if there is video, or if police seized a firearm at the scene...

Whose word do you have that they didn't? Jesus Christ on a pogostick. We're guessing with what info we have presented. I already said if it's not what actually happened, it's not defensible.

-JALLEN

Angry Korean
with a Dark Soul
Picture of Windhover
posted Hide Post
See now, that's what I wanted you to come out and say. Your response to Slabside pre-supposed the gun-pointing.

Did I say the deceased did not point a gun? No. I merely challenged your presupposition. To be frank, though, I find myself being highly skeptical about the gun pointing. There are two people who could say for sure, the deceased and the police officer who did the shooting, and only one person is now left. And that person has every incentive to lie if the deceased did not point a gun.

You're absolutely right, it's too early to form any informed opinion. I would rather that we refrain from wild speculations, either way.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: October 11, 2004Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Right on track

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

According to Wells, Lopez's wife stayed in bed while he went to the door to see what was happening outside. That's when she heard gunshots. She ran to her husband, but by the time she reached him, he was dead.

She stayed in bed. So am I to assume this was at night or extremely early in the morning? Maybe dark out still?

How are any of you going to approach your door in that situation?

Unless I missed it, was there a time given of the shooting?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Po Po needs to leave folks alone. And if they can't, make damn sure they are at the right house. I mean, the dang postman can get it right.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Report This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdmb03:
"No one else was injured, and it's unclear if Lopez ever fired a shot at officers."

That would be easy to clear up.
Not if it's been tampered with.... Might be able to check for GSR on the dead guy, though.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I mean, the dang postman can get it right.

You must have superior mail service. LOL

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Report This Post
Picture of jezsuiz
posted Hide Post
However the circumstances this is happening more often than it should. I know everyone involved is human and prone to error, but it seems these "incidents" are happening far too often.

Posts: 556 | Location: NE not new england | Registered: October 15, 2008Report This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
Even if he pointed a gun at the police, he wouldn't have pointed a gun at the police if they had been at the correct address in the first place.

There is no defense whatsoever for being at the wrong address and the homeowner killed as a result of it.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31419 | Registered: February 20, 2000Report This Post