SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just had an earthquake
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just had an earthquake Login/Join 
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted
5.8, centered about 120 miles away as the crow flies. If it was that far away and I felt it like I did, I'd bet that number will go up some though.

USGS

I was sitting in my easy chair when it started to wobble. I thought that the dog had laid down behind me and bumped the chair. Then I looked over at the other chair and it was rocking back and forth. Hanging lights in the dining room and kitchen were swaying back and forth about a foot.

Smaller aftershock about five minutes later.

Pretty cool. I haven't felt an earthquake since I lived in L.A. back in the 80s.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Things that go bump in the night?

Hope there's no damage to your home. We suffered some in a 3.8 some years back.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Gustofer, I'm content to have them stay as far west of me as possible. Riding through the Loma Prieta quake back when in Kali was enough for a lifetime, thank you very much. Smile

Added the date of that NoCal quake: 1989 during the World Series. Horrific Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife is an EQ geek and even has a USGS alert on her phone for anything larger than 3.0 I think. She just told me about it. That's a pretty healthy shaker. Hope all is well for our friends in MT. Maybe the Yellowstone Caldera is getting ready to let go.

Posts: 4765 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
That's a pretty healthy shaker.

Got my attention. Big Grin

I'll check the place over in the morning, but I didn't hear any cracks or anything so all should be well.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Standard thing is to go outside the house, check for obvious structural damage, water and gas pipes leaks (I think you're suppose to go to the meter and check; it's been a long time.)

Go to your neighbor, see if they're okay.

Earthquakes, tornados, starry night sky. they all make you feel pretty puny and insignificant.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We are 65 miles from the epicenter as the crow flies. We had a long and loud initial shock. then another good tremor about five minutes later. then a few small...barely perceptible tremors. But an hour later we got a good sharp, jolt. Quite the experience.

No damage other than a few cartridges on my loading bench knocked over. LOL.

The Border Collie is under the bed. She didn't like any of it.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/ea...22event%22%3Anull%7D

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I was in the Northridge quake in SoCal years that almost tossed me out of bed. I think I peed a little...........

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
An earthquake is certainly one of the more interesting natural events. I'll take a quake over a tidal wave.

Mineral, VA had a 5.8 in August 2011. I was 240 miles away in a grocery store. A big wavelength back/forth motion. Maybe north/south, and the store oriented east/west?

Then in the '90s there was an earthquake. I remember it sounded/felt like someone was dragging a big steel box, like 50' square, down the highway.

That may have been the 4.6 in January 1994, Sinking Springs. About 50 miles west.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe the Yellowstone Caldera is getting ready to let go.

Hopefully it's just things realigning and settling back down.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Slept right through it.
Usually, my dog wakes me up in the middle of the night if something's going on, but he apparently slept through it too.

Posts: 1400 | Location: Butte, Mont. | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M-11:
quote:
Maybe the Yellowstone Caldera is getting ready to let go.

Hopefully it's just things realigning and settling back down.

There are between 1000-2000 measurable quakes there per year. I wouldn't sweat it until Woody Harrelson starts living there in a camper and blogging it Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
An earthquake is certainly one of the more interesting natural events. I'll take a quake over a tidal wave.

Mineral, VA had a 5.8 in August 2011. I was 240 miles away in a grocery store. A big wavelength back/forth motion. Maybe north/south, and the store oriented east/west?

Then in the '90s there was an earthquake. I remember it sounded/felt like someone was dragging a big steel box, like 50' square, down the highway.

That may have been the 4.6 in January 1994, Sinking Springs. About 50 miles west.

The one in 2011. I had just seen some coworkers pull into same parking lot as me. I thought they snuck up behind me and were shaking my van. Then some guy comes out home Depot freaking out yelling earthquake. Got a nice scar on my drywall from the event.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Super Pele, awakening from his slumber.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Gustofer: Here in Helena we shimmied and shook pretty good for about 1.5 minutes with a little shakin about 30 minutes later. My concern was our chimney falling on my wife's car.

LOL, all I could think about when we went back to bed was the location and readiness of my bug out bag. This is now back at the top of the to do list. No damage apparent here, tho the building made some protest noises.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Progressives are already blaming fracking in North Dakota for the Montana quake.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
We have little, "Was that an earthquake", type shocks frequently. Every few months.

What set this mornings quake apart was the duration. The 5.8 lasted 25-30 seconds here. NEVER had any of them last more than a few seconds.

But....FAR better than a tornado, sunami, forest fire, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
My wife is in Great Falls visiting her mom, and she felt it pretty good. I've never felt a quake but it's on my bucket list.

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, Lincoln , Montana is smaller than tiny town !

I asked High Country trading post to tell us about the E.Q. on their facebook page

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54640 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
We are 65 miles from the epicenter as the crow flies. We had a long and loud initial shock. then another good tremor about five minutes later. then a few small...barely perceptible tremors. But an hour later we got a good sharp, jolt. Quite the experience.

No damage other than a few cartridges on my loading bench knocked over. LOL.

The Border Collie is under the bed. She didn't like any of it.

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/ea...22event%22%3Anull%7D
A man cant even get some reloading done without divine intervention.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post