SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In line at McDonalds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In line at McDonalds Login/Join 
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted
I was in a hurry so I went to the local McDonalds for lunch today. The line was fairly long. There was a Marine E-6 in line ahead of me. As he placed his order, I moved ahead in line and shoved my credit card in the reader.

He was a little surprised and said "you don't have to do that". I said I know, but I wanted to. We talked a little about his duty as a recruiter. I thanked him for his service and went back to my place in line.

I was surprised about how good that little act of kindness felt.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:

I was surprised about how good that little act of kindness felt.

You selfish SOB...

Wink

In all seriousness, though this soldier was probably a little embarrassed by your kind and respectful act, I'm sure he immeasurably appreciated it nonetheless...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You are a good man. Thanks for doing that!

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Thanks for making his day and yours.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
well thanks for him from me Smile

Posts: 6387 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Indeed!

I spent $500 one night at a Sizzler, offering to buy dinner for a young man, obviously an active duty Marine. He said thanks, but there are 24 of us.

Well, in for penny, in for a pound! I said fine, they're all on me.

You never met two dozen more polite, respectful, well groomed, squared away young men in your life. It turns out they were a class of drill instructor school students, all second tour Marine vets. They were very grateful, each came to me, shook my hand, expressed gratitude. I'll never forget it.

I used to buy gift certificates for local restaurants and send them to a local CO, the Nimitz for example, with request to distribute them to deserving members of the crew who had earned an "attaboy" in his judgment.

When I was on active duty in the '60's, we weren't treated like that, so it seemed to me to be a Real Good Idea[tm], good for morale.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Never paid their bills at an eating place, but have had most of Nate's special forces team here at the house for dinner a couple of times.

Never met a more gentle, respectful group of guys!! And they really appreciated the home cooked meals.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
Tried to buy the meal for 4 soldiers at Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago but the cashier said it was already paid for and that I was the third person to try. Made me proud of my fellow man.

Good on you dgshooter.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did this once. It felt good but not as good as reading all the above. I've seen it done for police as well .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:
Tried to buy the meal for 4 soldiers at Cracker Barrel a few weeks ago but the cashier said it was already paid for and that I was the third person to try. Made me proud of my fellow man.

Good on you dgshooter.
thats awesome!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Good move, sir. I have done it a few times anonymously at sit-down restaurants for military and law enforcement. It is always a pleasure.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Smile

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Very kind sir, and a great gesture. I served right after Nam, and was generally treated very poorly by most. I'm so thankful that has changed.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by JWF:

Good on you dgshooter.
thats awesome!

That. Right there.
/applause for the OP too.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I've done it a couple times. Last time was last year when we had the bad floods here in Louisiana. I was in McDonald's and a young MP came in behind me I told the cashier to give him whatever he wanted. She said not to worry he would eat free anyway.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Wife and I do this frequently. Service members and LEO's. They are always grateful especially when we tell them we appreciate their service. Always gives us a good feeling.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid the tab for a couple of local cops at a coffee place and when they thanked me I just told them no need but later when you see me doing serious stupid shit in my car please look away....thankfully they laughed

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post