SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for an oaky Cab
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for an oaky Cab Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I like oaky red wines. Looking far recommendations for an oaky Cabernet Sauvignon at a moderate price. $35 or less. The wine guides that I find online are mostly useless.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
a little beyond your price range ($55 per 750) but for a special occasion, try Heitz Cellar's Napa Valley Cab Sauv.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I might have to splurge.

The place where I buy most of my stuff offers a 10% discount for 6-bottle purchases of wine/liquor (any mix). And another 10% off on Sr. Citizen Tuesday, so that brings the price down to $44. I can always use some more 10 yo tawny port and Bushmills Blackbush Irish whiskey (to hit the 6-bottle discount).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I liked this one, but don’t typically look for oaky as a primary taste factor in cabs.

Petrified Forest Totem Ridge Vineyard Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2010

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
a little beyond your price range ($55 per 750) but for a special occasion, try Heitz Cellar's Napa Valley Cab Sauv.

The place where I buy my adult beverages has dozens of Cabs, but it doesn’t have the Heitz Cellar Cab.

I’m beginning to appreciate what a wonderful bargain Tawny Port is. Taylor Fladgate and Dow’s are both superb 10 yo wines, and I can buy either for $35/750 ml bottle (prior to the discounts that I can wrangle). And I love both of ‘em. Will stick with those.

And Port keeps good for at least two days after opening.

Serious about crackers

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

The place where I buy my adult beverages has dozens of Cabs, but it doesn’t have the Heitz Cellar Cab.

I’m beginning to appreciate what a wonderful bargain Tawny Port is. Taylor Fladgate and Dow’s are both superb 10 yo wines, and I can buy either for $35/750 ml bottle (prior to the discounts that I can wrangle). And I love both of ‘em. Will stick with those.

And Port keeps good for at two days after opening.

I agree about tawnies. Used to tend bar in a high-end steak joint in Boston and we carried several ports in different styles and price ranges. I thought the tawnies were the best value. Of course, when on occasion I would get to sample a good vintage... well, that was nearly orgasmic. But not necessarily good $ value.

Posts: 2690 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a bit more than you were looking to spend, but I really enjoy the cabernets from Silver Oak.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Josh for around $15

Justin for around $30-35

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
KZ... took me a few moments... but I eventually got it!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1598 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
KZ... took me a few moments... but I eventually got it!

Ditto.

Serious about crackers