SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for an oaky Cab

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for an oaky Cab Login/Join 
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I like oaky red wines. Looking far recommendations for an oaky Cabernet Sauvignon at a moderate price. $35 or less. The wine guides that I find online are mostly useless.

Cognition?
On.

Posts: 3319 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
a little beyond your price range ($55 per 750) but for a special occasion, try Heitz Cellar's Napa Valley Cab Sauv.

"The frost on the ground probably envies the frost on the trees."

Posts: 8452 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I might have to splurge.

The place where I buy most of my stuff offers a 10% discount for 6-bottle purchases of wine/liquor (any mix). And another 10% off on Sr. Citizen Tuesday, so that brings the price down to $44. I can always use some more 10 yo tawny port and Bushmills Blackbush Irish whiskey (to hit the 6-bottle discount).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Cognition?
On.

Posts: 3319 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I liked this one, but don’t typically look for oaky as a primary taste factor in cabs.

Petrified Forest Totem Ridge Vineyard Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2010

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 6352 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
a little beyond your price range ($55 per 750) but for a special occasion, try Heitz Cellar's Napa Valley Cab Sauv.

The place where I buy my adult beverages has dozens of Cabs, but it doesn’t have the Heitz Cellar Cab.

I’m beginning to appreciate what a wonderful bargain Tawny Port is. Taylor Fladgate and Dow’s are both superb 10 yo wines, and I can buy either for $35/750 ml bottle (prior to the discounts that I can wrangle). And I love both of ‘em. Will stick with those.

And Port keeps good for at least two days after opening.

Cognition?
On.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:

The place where I buy my adult beverages has dozens of Cabs, but it doesn’t have the Heitz Cellar Cab.

I’m beginning to appreciate what a wonderful bargain Tawny Port is. Taylor Fladgate and Dow’s are both superb 10 yo wines, and I can buy either for $35/750 ml bottle (prior to the discounts that I can wrangle). And I love both of ‘em. Will stick with those.

And Port keeps good for at two days after opening.

I agree about tawnies. Used to tend bar in a high-end steak joint in Boston and we carried several ports in different styles and price ranges. I thought the tawnies were the best value. Of course, when on occasion I would get to sample a good vintage... well, that was nearly orgasmic. But not necessarily good $ value.

Posts: 1832 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

Posts: 14345 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also a bit more than you were looking to spend, but I really enjoy the cabernets from Silver Oak.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 910 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Josh for around $15

Justin for around $30-35

Posts: 5606 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mttaylor1066
posted Hide Post
KZ... took me a few moments... but I eventually got it!

Company, villainous company hath been the spoil of me.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Stamford, CT | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mttaylor1066:
KZ... took me a few moments... but I eventually got it!

Ditto.

Cognition?
On.