SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use a keyless/bluetooth deadbolt lock?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a keyless/bluetooth deadbolt lock? Login/Join 
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
I use keypads, but nothing BT or Wifi over security concerns that it could be hacked and unlocked from afar. My locks could certainly be picked/hacked, but you'd have to walk up to the door and do so the old-fashioned way. I also have cameras/security system on the house, so I'm not quite as worried about the security of the deadbolt as I might be without those other systems.

I like the convenience of the keypads a great deal, but I will say the keypads that electronically engage the bolt seem to be finicky. And you'd best install it perfectly square and lined up - there's no room for error when the bolt has to engage electronically. If I were replacing them today, I'd go to this type of Schlage like BBMW and Aileron mentioned. It gives you a keypad and eliminates the key, but you still engage the bolt manually. Less trouble overall.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I have a schlage keypad door handle going into my gun room. Quick four digit pin and I'm in. If the battery fails, its keyed alike with the rest of the house. I usually get 2 years use out of the battery.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
You should begin seeing BHMA certified product in the stores and online soon. BHMA members developed this residential rating systems to assist people in deciding what products to purchase. All products are tested by an independent 3rd party (UL or ITS) for conformance to the ANSI/BHMA standards. This is the junior varsity version of the ANSI/BHMA standards and certification program for commercial hardware that have been in place for decades.

https://securehome.org/why-bhma-certified/

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The amazon linked schlage is what i have on my main door these past five years. No issues. I had a different one in my garage to door house that autolocks but it kept sticking so I switched it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I'm planning to go with one of these, but for different reasons.

Plan to put on interior door, inside garage. I've got keypad on garage doors and have a code that is disposable set to open one garage door in addition to the permanent codes. With this sort of door lock I can have the door to interior locked if needed and while away, but still give someone access to house in the unlikely event needed without getting them a key and having to worry about where all that key to all my exterior doors now ends up. Also give me an option to get in if I lose all keys other than those locked inside.

Don't really have a need for one on exterior doors, but it doesn't scare me that someone is going to be smart enough to hack this, but not care about the cameras and alarm they can see is armed through one exterior door.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12408 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Anything that can be programmed and functions using some form of NFC/Wireless/Bluetooth function can be hacked, and easily.

I would go analog here.

A year ago, I was locked out of the house (family member left for trip, locking the deadbolt).

Called locksmith and a kid not older than 20 showed up, opened up his kit, which consisted of tools looking very similar to straightened paper clips and proceeded to pick the deadbolt and opened the door in 30 seconds - $120.

Yeah I don't think much of analog.

That is not a good example of analog locks....I would like to see the same kid give it a go with my Abloy locks, no lock is pick proof but some are certainly harder than others.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I manage 2 houses that have the keyless ones. Both kwikset and Schlage. The kwikset is easier as you hit one key on the pad to lock it. The schlage you have to re-enter the code and turn the deadbolt to lock it. They both work well and have a standard key also. I don't know about blue tooth, but they're really convenient and you can change the code anytime you want.

Another thing you can do is put a coded electronic passage lock, and still use a separate keyed deadbolt. That way if you're only going for a walk around the neighborhood or something you don't have to carry keys with you, and you still have the security of a keyed deadbolt if you want that piece of mind.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
quote:
quote:
Anything that can be programmed and functions using some form of NFC/Wireless/Bluetooth function can be hacked, and easily.

I would go analog here.

A year ago, I was locked out of the house (family member left for trip, locking the deadbolt).

Called locksmith and a kid not older than 20 showed up, opened up his kit, which consisted of tools looking very similar to straightened paper clips and proceeded to pick the deadbolt and opened the door in 30 seconds - $120.

That is not a good example of analog locks....I would like to see the same kid give it a go with my Abloy locks, no lock is pick proof but some are certainly harder than others.

I guarantee no kid is going to pick an ABLOY, Mult-T-Lock or Medeco cylinder. My part of ASSA ABLOY includes those 3 brands for the Americas :-)

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I manage 2 houses that have the keyless ones. Both kwikset and Schlage. The kwikset is easier as you hit one key on the pad to lock it. The schlage you have to re-enter the code and turn the deadbolt to lock it. They both work well and have a standard key also. I don't know about blue tooth, but they're really convenient and you can change the code anytime you want.

Another thing you can do is put a coded electronic passage lock, and still use a separate keyed deadbolt. That way if you're only going for a walk around the neighborhood or something you don't have to carry keys with you, and you still have the security of a keyed deadbolt if you want that piece of mind.
That's odd I've had Schlage locks with the keypad for more than a decade. To lock the deadbolt all I do is press the button with the Schlage logo, and then the knob. It's this one: https://www.schlage.com/en/hom...cts/BE365CAMFFF.html

I've used it on every exterior door for over a decade, and several friends do the same, and we use non locking knobs, so only the code and no keys are required.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ASSA ABLOY hotel key system has been hacked.

I am not sure the hack works on the home models.

Any wifi can can hacked with basic equipment.

I am not sure its any worse than getting your door kicked in.

Locks are to keep almost honest people out.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
No, locks are part of a system to encourage dishonest people to pick a softer target.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would go analog here.

I must disagree. It’s an excellent example of an analog lock. How many houses are secured with Schlage locksets using an SC1 keyway? Even worse - whatever the Kwikset equivalent is? They’re ubiquitous because the big box stores sell them and residential builders buy them by the pallet.

You must know as well as I do that once you’ve had a little training and practice as a locksmith, normal doors and locks start to look more like mere visual barriers rather than physical ones.

That’s why I use locks with your Protec2 cores. Big Grin

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I would go analog here.

I must disagree. It’s an excellent example of an analog lock. How many houses are secured with Schlage locksets using an SC1 keyway? Even worse - whatever the Kwikset equivalent is? They’re ubiquitous because the big box stores sell them and residential builders buy them by the pallet.

You must know as well as I do that once you’ve had a little training and practice as a locksmith, normal doors and locks start to look more like mere visual barriers rather than physical ones.

That’s why I use locks with your Protec2 cores. Big Grin

-Rob

Good point and well stated and totally agree

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post