SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone use a keyless/bluetooth deadbolt lock?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use a keyless/bluetooth deadbolt lock? Login/Join 
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted
I'm looking to change out the lock on the door from my garage to the house. I want to stick with a deadbolt but would like something that doesn't require a key. A digital keypad would be ideal. I see Nest has one with a Yale lock, Schlage has a version and there are a few others as well.

Anyone with any experience with these?

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Anything that can be programmed and functions using some form of NFC/Wireless/Bluetooth function can be hacked, and easily.

I would go analog here.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
I concur with reloader. I work for ASSA ABLOY, parent of Yale and can purchase the Nest/Yale/August/Emtek wireless versions at 85% discount... but I use a brass key. Big Grin

The electronic keypad versions (non NFC/Bluetooth/Zigbee) are secure; I use them on my shop and hangar. Both the Allegion (Schlage) and ASSA (Yale/Emtek) versions are good locks

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We have a Yale digital keypad deadbolt, no BT or other “smart” connectivity. Have been very happy with it.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
I concur with reloader. I work for ASSA ABLOY, parent of Yale and can purchase the Nest/Yale/August/Emtek wireless versions at 85% discount... but I use a brass key. Big Grin

The electronic keypad versions (non NFC/Bluetooth/Zigbee) are secure; I use them on my shop and hangar. Both the Allegion (Schlage) and ASSA (Yale/Emtek) versions are good locks

Sir, is it programmable for a temporary code? I ask because my garage door I can access from phone, it’s about as secure as it gets with rolling codes, etc, and I have people watch the house when I am not here. But I use Schlage double sided deadbolts on every door and I’d like to re-keythis deal to use the same key and use a temp code when I’m not home in case of emergency. That way I can open garage door and give a friend the temp access code to get in the door from garage to the house.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I don’t think absolute security was the question. Any door lock short of a bank vault with about 50 bolts is probably vulnerable and at that I could be mistaken. Even locks that use brass keys can be defeated with a couple of paper clips.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Anything that can be programmed and functions using some form of NFC/Wireless/Bluetooth function can be hacked, and easily.

I would go analog here.

A year ago, I was locked out of the house (family member left for trip, locking the deadbolt).

Called locksmith and a kid not older than 20 showed up, opened up his kit, which consisted of tools looking very similar to straightened paper clips and proceeded to pick the deadbolt and opened the door in 30 seconds - $120.

Yeah I don't think much of analog.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The only way I'd ever have such locks is if no alternative existed.

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I don't have a smart door lock yet, but with one, I'd get a notification if someone hacks it and opens the door. There would be a digital trail. With my current analog dead bolt, that kid could've gone in and out, relocks and there would be no trace of him.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by saigonsmuggler:
While I don't have a smart door lock yet, but with one, I'd get a notification if someone hacks it and opens the door. There would be a digital trail. With my current analog dead bolt, that kid could've gone in and out, relocks and there would be no trace of him.

Not if it’s done correctly Smile

Think of it this way - there are only a few different ways of programming these locks, and I can easily see a cheap Chinese jammer being produced and sold on the streets for next to nothing.

Now, anyone can get in to that house with nothing more than a press of a button, and you won’t get any notification.

Yes, any lock can be picked... but try doing that at night, with tools, etc. The average person won’t be able to do that, but they can easily press a button on a remote.

Hard pass from me.

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I just installed 2 of them.

One a deadbolt with a keypad. The other a door handle lock with keypad.

I will never go back to ones without.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve had the Schlage deadbolt/keypad locks for five years now with no issues. I should probably change the batteries soon.

No “smart” locks here.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
My digital also has keyed entry.

Yes, you can set multiple codes or set a secondary code for say a house sitter and then delete it afterwards.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
I use the Schlage. I find it handy to be able to remotely lock and unlock my door without giving up the code, and to be able to verify the door is locked from anywhere.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I put one of these on my sister's house (electronic keypad but not internet/nearfield enabled.) She loved it and had no problems.

I like the Schlage deadbolt over others. When the Schage is locked, the outside knob disengages from the deadbolt and spins free. When the correct code is entered, the knob engages the deadbolt, and the user turns it to open. So other brands use a motor to actually move the deadbolt itself. This strikes me a likely to eat through batteries much quicker.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I’ve had the Schlage deadbolt/keypad locks for five years now with no issues. I should probably change the batteries soon.

No “smart” locks here.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Seotaji
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I put one of these on my sister's house (electronic keypad but not internet/nearfield enabled.) She loved it and had no problems.

I like the Schlage deadbolt over others. When the Schage is locked, the outside knob disengages from the deadbolt and spins free. When the correct code is entered, the knob engages the deadbolt, and the user turns it to open. So other brands use a motor to actually move the deadbolt itself. This strikes me a likely to eat through batteries much quicker.

quote:

No “smart” locks here.

I installed one of those for a friend. It was made of the cheapest pot metal, while the deadbolt she was replacing was solid. I wasn't surprised, but I was disappointed, especially due to it's cost.

Posts: 6917 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:

Both the Yale and Emtek digital keypad locks work like this too. Entering the correct code engages a mechanical clutch for a short period of time, allowing you to manually throw/retract the bolt before the clutch times out and disengages. This is the type of locks I have on my outbuildings. I still have restricted keyway Medeco deadbolts on our house - and intend to keep it that way.

Schlage is a good product, but I'd put ours as equal. Blondes & brunettes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The cover containing the keypad was sheet metal. I don't recall the structural part of the lock body being that way. The bolt was the same construction as their consumer grade key locks.

quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
quote:

quote:

No “smart” locks here.

I installed one of those for a friend. It was made of the cheapest pot metal, while the deadbolt she was replacing was solid. I wasn't surprised, but I was disappointed, especially due to it's cost.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen them. Cant bring myself to do it though. I have a keypad for one of my front door locks. Its nice when ducking out of the house for yard work or running to the mailbox and I dont ever have to wonder if I locked my door. Not the same thing but as close as I currently think I'd get.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
We have a Yale digital keypad deadbolt, no BT or other “smart” connectivity. Have been very happy with it.
Same here, but Schlage, not Yale. I Love not having to worry about key control, the ability to change codes frequently, add temporary codes, etc. I also love that it's NOT connected to the phone.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post