SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A range report on the results of a plant based diet.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A range report on the results of a plant based diet. Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
He didn't do that.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
Glad you’ve found a solution to your diabetes issue. Had to feel good when they told you that you could eliminate/cut down on the meds.

Posts: 3519 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be healthiest to add in the good oils such as olive, avocado, and coconut to provide the essential fatty acids you need as well as free range eggs which not only have a good Omega 3 to 6 ratio but the whites are pure protein.

Wild caught fish is great as well, call yourself "pescatarian" based eater. The "plant based" diet movement is driven by hard core animal activism, not nutrition. My wife and I turned "Forks over Knives" off after just a few minutes when an MD. said something early on we knew to be false making it an outright lie at worse and a deliberately misleading statement at best.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
It would be healthiest to add in the good oils such as olive, avocado, and coconut to provide the essential fatty acids you need as well as free range eggs which not only have a good Omega 3 to 6 ratio but the whites are pure protein.

Wild caught fish is great as well, call yourself "pescatarian" based eater. The "plant based" diet movement is driven by hard core animal activism, not nutrition. My wife and I turned "Forks over Knives" off after just a few minutes when an MD. said something early on we knew to be false making it an outright lie at worse and a deliberately misleading statement at best.

Unfortunately, all those good oils and the latest conventional medical wisdom just wasn’t doing me any good.
Please understand that I’m not enthusiastically fond of dialing way back on animal protein, but if I have to, I’ll drink muddy water and live in a hollow log to survive. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would just caution you to do more research and put in more effort to isolate true causes of your formerly higher blood sugar and weight and current lower blood sugar and weight.

I'd bet any amount of $ that depriving yourself of the essential fatty acids found in healthy oils (or consuming them) was not a causal factor in either direction.

I don't know your height and muscle mass, so I can't say what a good healthy weight range for you would be, but for the sake of argument, let's say 180 lbs. Since you don't want to rock the current boat you are in that is working...don't! But, when you reach your healthy weight range of around 180lbs (Or whatever that would be), feel free to add those healthy oils back in so you are getting the nutrients you need. Find out if it causes you to gain weight or increases blood sugar. If you are reducing calories from other things to account for the added calories from the healthy fats, there is no reason at all why it would have an adverse effect. Fats don't raise blood sugar at all on their own. Carbs do of course, protein does only in conjunction with carbs and doesn't by itself or with just fats.

Congrats BTW, your results and attitude are great. Type II diabetes and all these related metabolic syndrome related "illnesses" are reversible if caught in time and a healthier diet adopted before it's too late and things go totally off the rails. It may put a lot of MDs out of business though...

Another thing to explore having nothing to do with what you eat (that also saves $ and time) is intermittent fasting. Just start skipping breakfast (and not eating after 8p at night), it can be as simple as that.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I went from an HbA1c of 10.7 to a 4.6 on a hardcore keto diet. Zero intentional carbs. Just goes to show that everyone is different. I produce very little insulin, so unlike most T2's insulin resistance isn't my problem. Zero meds. If I went on a 100% plant based diet they'd be cutting my toes off within a year or 2. My cholesterol is good, but I just found out with my latest blood work that I was low on vitamin D. I hadn't been taking any supplements but I will be adding a multi vitamin and a dedicated D. So if you are diabetic you may want to get it checked. I'm 6'2" and have only hit 200 lbs a couple of times in my life with a lot of weight training, so diabetes wasn't a weight thing with me.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I would just caution you to do more research and put in more effort to isolate true causes of your formerly higher blood sugar and weight and current lower blood sugar and weight.

I'd bet any amount of $ that depriving yourself of the essential fatty acids found in healthy oils (or consuming them) was not a causal factor in either direction.

I don't know your height and muscle mass, so I can't say what a good healthy weight range for you would be, but for the sake of argument, let's say 180 lbs. Since you don't want to rock the current boat you are in that is working...don't! But, when you reach your healthy weight range of around 180lbs (Or whatever that would be), feel free to add those healthy oils back in so you are getting the nutrients you need. Find out if it causes you to gain weight or increases blood sugar. If you are reducing calories from other things to account for the added calories from the healthy fats, there is no reason at all why it would have an adverse effect. Fats don't raise blood sugar at all on their own. Carbs do of course, protein does only in conjunction with carbs and doesn't by itself or with just fats.

Congrats BTW, your results and attitude are great. Type II diabetes and all these related metabolic syndrome related "illnesses" are reversible if caught in time and a healthier diet adopted before it's too late and things go totally off the rails. It may put a lot of MDs out of business though...

Another thing to explore having nothing to do with what you eat (that also saves $ and time) is intermittent fasting. Just start skipping breakfast (and not eating after 8p at night), it can be as simple as that.

Keto + intermittent fasting will knock the weight off fast. That’s another thing. I’m not Keto but have cut out sugar and the vast majority of carbs. Very little if any processed food. I go from 6 pm to 10 am fasting. I eat when hungry during the eating time. Higher fat and a lot of cooked greens. I’ve lost a pound a day for the past 9 days. I’m not calorie restricted at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I know I’ve triggered alarm bells and stall warning horns here, but I have been doing my homework. Losing weight is not my primary goal. I’ve lost weight on the Rotation diet, the Zone diet, the Grapefruit diet, and used Lille calorie books to keep track of the number of calories I ate. I even did the Adkins diet 30 years ago before it became the Paleo or Keto diet. Frankly, roughage and regularity is much more appealing to me than trying to lose 30 lbs. in two weeks or peeing on Keto sticks.
This guy has done more to help me live a normal life than anybody. Link
My efforts to keep my caloric intake in the 5-600 calories per pound range has been a little sloppy, but I’m more than pleased with the results. Your concern is earnestly appreciated.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post