SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anybody been on a Norwegian Alaskan cruise?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody been on a Norwegian Alaskan cruise? Login/Join 
Picture of fwbulldog
posted
Considering going in July. Seattle to Skagway.

link

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
We did a 10 day land-sea on a Holland-America liner some years ago. It was outstanding.

The itineraries are usually very similar.

The only suggestion I have is to go the last southward voyage, due to weather and mosquitoes. Usually that is in mid-September.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
We have not been on any of the Norwegian ships. We did the same Alaska trip on the Celebrity Solstice in June 2015 and it was wonderful

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Yup. Left from seattle, went to Victoria and 3 AK stops. Awesome. The train into Canada from Skagway is cool.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
In 2007 I did a 20-day Alaska/Yukon/BC land/sea tour that included the 7-day Inside Passage cruise from Seward, Alaska to Vancouver, BC on Holland America. I had a great time. I think all the major cruise lines have very similar itineraries and facilities. You'll enjoy it. (My cruise was the last one in September.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, took the NCL Pearl from Seattle to 3x Alaskan stops plus Victoria BC last July. It was great, beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife. Saw whales, eagles, etc. The three Alaskan ports were Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We're considering going a second time.

Posts: 201 | Location: Boyce, VA | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
my wife, daughter and mother in law did, they all got lice. Eek

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Yes, we did that trip twice with the kids. They all agree it was the best vacation ever. We liked it so much we went back two more times.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:
Yes, took the NCL Pearl from Seattle to 3x Alaskan stops plus Victoria BC last July. It was great, beautiful scenery and lots of wildlife. Saw whales, eagles, etc. The three Alaskan ports were Juneau, Skagway and Ketchikan. We're considering going a second time.

Same trip, even the same ship.
We quickly learned that the shore excursions filled up quickly. We missed the eagle float trip as it filled almost immediately. I did the glacier dog sled trip and and really enjoyed it. The whale watching was also great. The train was reported as fun or "up and back." The tour of Victorian was a dud bore. Just houses own by somebody, then a stop on a hill.
There was a small place that served what can be called "comfort food." Eggs, bacon, omlets, hamburgers etc. It allowed us to avoid the main cafeteria mess and the heavy meals in the resturants.
Shopping was, well, interesting. You soon realized that no matter the port, you saw much the same stuff. Jewelry in particular. There's a on board guide who seems to know the deals for the stuff you want. Also, there are stores that don't appear on the ships guides. Some stores even advertise that they aren't on the list. The ship had art sales etc. the push seemed to be more investment the quality.
I was seasick for much of the trip. Going again I'd stock up on medication.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
I have a friend leaving Sunday. I prefer Norwegian due to the lack of formality.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Did Norwegian approximately 8 years ago on that trip. Also enjoyed the lack of formality. Salmon served at every meal - yeah. Did one paid excursion: helicopter ride to a glacier. Absolutely recommend it. Would love to do it again.

Lots of onboard entertainment, but not the big crowds occurring on Caribbean cruises - don't know why.

Would easily do it again....

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Just got back Monday from a 7 day Holland-America cruise. It was the wife's bucket list trip and I was just trying to keep an open mind. I'm not much of a cruise guy (too many people, too many other ships in ports, too many lines, and too little time in port), despise long flights, and packing winter clothes for vacation in June seemed bonkers. I was generally right about the cruise thing, but it was worth it. Every bit of it. Very, very memorable, and truth is, these places are so inaccessible, it's about the only way to do it reasonably.

We traveled from Seattle to Junneau/Mendenhall Glacier, north to Hubbard Glacier in Desperation Bay, south to Sitka, then Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC with lots of hiking, kayaking, ziplines, whalewatching, etc. I figure we traveled close to 3000 nm for the week. The weather forecast was terrible. I didn't realize it rains about 300 days a year up there, but in the end while blue skies weren't plentiful, we saw very little rain, and none that impacted our activities. High's generally stayed in the mid 50's to upper 60's. Seas were quite moderate, though a few in our party of 11 had some issues.

I have little doubt we will go back.

This is Hubbard Glacier. For scale it is 9 miles wide (about 1/3 of its length extends behind the point) and 350 feet high. Photos do not do Alaska justice.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Sounds very cool. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife and I went last year on Princess on the inside passage tour. Went to all the ports mentioned, I thought the best excursion was the eagle float trip, the others were basically sight seeing for bears, sea lions, seals, etc.
Jigray3 is right, the photos don't do it justice, everything just seems to be on an immense scale. The Mendenhall glacier was one of the coolest things I've seen, chunks as large as houses breaking off and creating waves. The food was honestly great, gained almost 10 pounds, finally got that off. I would do it again. Seattle is a pretty place, but the week we went was hempfest. Never seen so many hippies. Find the kayakers, middle of pic near the shore...

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rch73:

Did this trip with my wife and my mother, except in September. Cold and wet but still very cool. Would do again. My only problem was the 1st day out to sea. Got seasick during the presentation in the nose (prow?) of the ship. Had to spend the rest of the day sleeping off the nausea in our cabin.

Posts: 734 | Location: Tucson | Registered: May 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Never been on a cruise, so I'm confused about the tipping policy. They seem to add 18% to pretty much everything already. Beverage service per day + 18%. Meals per day + 18%, etc....

I don't carry wads of cash. Are you supposed to tip on-board? For stuff that you already paid 18% gratuity? How does this work?

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Your cruise package includes tips. I have tipped an exceptional cabin steward but it is not expected. Your booking agent should explain what is customary

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Went Holland America like JAllen.
No cash used on board at all, no tipping.
Enjoyed it but raining in Ketchikan which is the most scenic part of the cruise; went kayaking anyway, got wet, saw bald eagle.

Posts: 18058 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Head over to Cruise Critic and check out the forums. They actually host forums on each individual Cruise. Very interesting and informative.

Mike

Cruised
Royal C.
Princess
USS Truxton
USS Klondike
USS Jason

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Cruise completed.

What I learned:

1) Alaska is amazing.
2) I HATE being on a cruise ship with 2100 people and 1000 crew.
3) Personal space and hygiene appears to be taboo in non-American culture
4) I don't get sea-sick, but I do get land-sick. I'm still having vertigo and nausea 3 days later.

My dad doing the zipline tour in the rainforest canopy. 150 feet off the ground. Awesome!

Mendenhall glacier

Somebody our host may know:

Glacier outside Skagway: