SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can I do this w/o an accessible junction box?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I do this w/o an accessible junction box? Login/Join 
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted
Here's the issue - I had an old mechanical doorbell & chime setup. Replaced the old bell with an Arlo video doorbell. Didn't change the transformer or any of the wiring, just installed Arlo's bypass module in the old chime box per their instructions. Worked great.

Did a little remodeling in the room and removed the chime box (and disconnected the doorbell) for painting. Now Mrs.BurtonRW (and myself, for that matter) would just as soon not put the old mechanical chime back on the wall.

The Arlo bypass module still does it's job and the doorbell works perfectly. No problems there. What I'm wondering though, is whether there's a code-compliant product (either a tiny box or other splice/connector device) that I can use for this low-voltage pair that I can just tuck behind the drywall and patch/paint over.

Do I really have to mount a box and cover for this little thing? Is there any real danger to not? I understand the theory behind the requirement for access and when I ran a second low power line for a new doorbell, I certainly put the transformer in a covered box, per code. But this is an in-line low-voltage connection. Probably more dangerous to lick a 9v battery.

So... what are my options? Everything is off the record, of course, but if there's a compliant way to put this behind the wall w/o having a cover plate on the wall, please let me know what product I need to use.

** Before you say it, this barely-adequate mechanical connection was for proof of wiring only. I'll strip the wires on the power kit and either nut or splice the connections as appropriate. **

Thanks.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't speak to the current code, but none of my low voltage devices (20 year old house) are mounted in boxes. Hole through the drywall

Posts: 8956 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Personally (and I'm not an electrician) I'd bug nut and tape it and shove it in the wall. I might be more inclined to hang something over the hole so I could retrieve it more easily when it dies. Because it WILL die if you bury it behind the drywall. It would for me anyway. But I don't think I would have any safety concerns.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I commend you for wanting to do things the right way , but I have never seen doorbell circuits treated like line voltage . Maybe some jurisdictions check that kind of thing but not around here .

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I would connect the wires better and tape it or have the wires from the wall go directly into the white part.

I am not an electrician but it seems to me that low voltage lines for thermostats and door bells dont need boxes.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3865 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Would something like this work for you?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ca...et-SC100RR/100160916

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Low voltage connections are not code- required to be in j boxes.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would consider a newer wireless doorbell system as an alternative.

Posts: 9513 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I would consider a newer wireless doorbell system as an alternative.

Doesn’t get a whole lot newer than Arlo, and half the reason for leaving the wireless Ring doorbell at the old house and installing wired Arlo doorbells at the new house is to avoid having to change batteries, and also because I invested in Arlo Ultra cameras - which I’m very happy with, so keeping video surveillance in the same ecosystem seemed to make sense.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
What are you going to do with the white thing (I assume that's your chime?). I'd contact the manufacturer as ask if they sell a new construction version or some kind of finished looking version. Is your intention to tuck the two leads into the wall they use two sided tape to attach the white thing?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Personally, given how easy it is to simply cut in and install a new blue plastic box, I'd install one of those to allow me future access to the wiring, and then cover it up with a solid faceplate. I've even painted a couple of these blank faceplates the same color as the wall, and they all but disappear. Lot faster than patching, sanding, priming, and painting. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
What are you going to do with the white thing (I assume that's your chime?). I'd contact the manufacturer as ask if they sell a new construction version or some kind of finished looking version. Is your intention to tuck the two leads into the wall they use two sided tape to attach the white thing?

The white thing is Arlo’s “power kit”, which serves to bypass the mechanical chime (now removed) and while I didn’t think it was necessary with the mechanical chime removed, it seems to make the doorbell happy (vs not functional w/o it in place).

I wanted to tuck the whole thing in the wall and be done with it, but others make a good point about accessibility in the event of device failure. I might just end up boxing it after all.

-Rob

A=A

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

The white thing is Arlo’s “power kit”, which serves to bypass the mechanical chime (now removed) and while I didn’t think it was necessary with the mechanical chime removed, it seems to make the doorbell happy (vs not functional w/o it in place).

I wanted to tuck the whole thing in the wall and be done with it, but others make a good point about accessibility in the event of device failure. I might just end up boxing it after all.

-Rob

If I understand you correctly then you still need it to bridge the connection and make a bell ring and that device does not emit any sounds. If that is the case, just replace the chime with one that is more desirable for looks ($20 at HD). Throw away the button, and save the transformer incase you need it in the future for a failure. Then take the white piece and zip tie or two side tape it to a void in the replacement chime.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Low voltage?

Snip that shit and shove the rest in the wall and patch over it and be done with it.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post