SIGforum
Anyone else dealing with Crohns

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1300009954

August 13, 2019, 11:34 AM
08 Cayenne
Anyone else dealing with Crohns
Just diagnosed yesterday, actually I'm not that upset, was worried it was cancer. Got a colonoscopy recently, they saw some issues, and they were not sure what it was. It took 3 weeks to get the results, longest 3 weeks of my life. All the doc did was give me steroids to take for 2 months and then come back to see him afterwards. Pretty sure they will give me another colonoscopy at that time and develop a plan. I've googled the hell out of it and know the basics. Anyone dealing with this have any advice?
August 13, 2019, 11:51 AM
tk13
I was diagnosed when I was 40 and am 55 now. I fortunately have a pretty mild case that does not require a lot of lifestyle changes. I treat it with medication (Entocort)and have regular colonoscopies.

It was quite literally a pain in the a$$ to get diagnosed. My (former) primary care physician kept dismissing my symptoms as other things. It finally took a colonoscopy to get to the cause. My 25 y.o. son also was recently diagnosed with a mild case and has been treating it with steroids. He is active duty Navy, and although he does not want a discharge, the docs have told him it could result in one.

We are overall lucky, though. My 35 y.o. nephew was diagnosed with a severe case about 10 years ago and had to have a large section of colon removed. Autoimmune diseases seem to run in my family. My mom had severe rheumatoid arthritis, a brother has M.S., and there are several relatives with thyroid issues such as Graves disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis.
August 13, 2019, 11:55 AM
f2
search: crohn's disease and ketogenic diet.
August 13, 2019, 12:16 PM
zipriderson
My wife does. It's manageable at best - never great.
August 13, 2019, 12:18 PM
FlyingScot
Yup. Light case diagnosed when 40. Changed diet, lost weight and manage symptoms w/Imodium. Not on drugs now, watch what I eat. Mine is upper small intestine so had to swallow a camera to get diagnosed.

I get flareups on occasion that put me down for 2-3 days, but infrequent. Diet discipline, exercise, stress management, weight control are key.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb
August 13, 2019, 01:00 PM
Jimbo Jones
My sister has/had it but treating it with Prozac or sim SSRI made it go away.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.
August 13, 2019, 01:24 PM
ZSMICHAEL
quote:
My sister has/had it but treating it with Prozac or sim SSRI made it go away.

Doubt diagnosis was Chrohns, maybe IBS. Those drugs are not typically prescribed for an autoimmune disorder such as Crohns.
August 13, 2019, 01:38 PM
GA Gator
My 13 year old daughter has Chrons and I have Ulcerative colitis. Similar diseases just different locations in the colon.

She gets a infusion of medication every 7 weeks. I take oral drugs but those are becoming less effective.

There are tons or resources on line and there are pretty big differences between patients.

Good luck.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo
August 13, 2019, 06:58 PM
c1steve
quote:

We are overall lucky, though. My 35 y.o. nephew was diagnosed with a severe case about 10 years ago and had to have a large section of colon removed. Autoimmune diseases seem to run in my family. My mom had severe rheumatoid arthritis, a brother has M.S., and there are several relatives with thyroid issues such as Graves disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

Most of those AI diseases are caused by a cross reaction to either a bacterial infection or possibly to gluten. Treatment with immune suppressing drugs typically give short term results but accelerate the course of the disease.

If your relatives were to change their diet alone, that would greatly improve their life. However, and older woman typically would rather die than give up carbs and sugar.

-c1steve
August 13, 2019, 08:20 PM
smschulz
How did they come to the diagnosis ~ routine tests or were there symptoms leading up to the diagnosis?
Glad it was not as serious as some of those other things mentioned.
Just curious?
August 13, 2019, 08:38 PM
MikeinNC
I’m sorry dude. One of my shipmates had it. He was transferred to a ship and the symptoms came on him while at sea. He was around 23-24 at the time. The CG had no idea what was wrong with him and he was discharged.
Brad Rogers died on the operating table in Newbern NC in 2014. I miss my friend, he was far to young(40)

I hope you get good treatment. Sorry To be morose.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
August 13, 2019, 09:04 PM
08 Cayenne
I had what I thought was the flu, but very bloody stool. 3rd time this has happened to me in the last 10 years. Would have to stop eating for a week to get it to clear up. After every episode I had a colonoscopy but they wouldn't find anything. I threw a fit this last time before the colonoscopy and low and behold they found it.

It could be worse, diagnosed as a moderate case, which isn't so bad. I had a boss that would always say "you have to piss with the dick you got".

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
How did they come to the diagnosis ~ routine tests or were there symptoms leading up to the diagnosis?
Glad it was not as serious as some of those other things mentioned.
Just curious?

August 13, 2019, 09:13 PM
ZSMICHAEL
Like any disease there are severe,moderate and mild cases. There are many new treatments available in addition to the old standby prednisone. Managing stress and your diet are very important. For most people it is NOT a disabling condition. Proper diagnosis from a gastroenterologist is essential. As with any disease, having a positive outlook is very important.
August 14, 2019, 02:54 AM
f2
also, borrow this from the library: Healthy Gut, Healthy You.
August 14, 2019, 06:40 AM
OldMick
I was diagnosed in 2003 with Crohn's/IBS. It took almost two years to find the right combination of medication.

Since 2005 I've been taking 6-MP (Mercaptopurine) and Balsalizide Disodium.

That combination has kept me symptom free. But I tried quite a few other options first; steroids, other drugs etc.

It can be a very debilitating disease. At one point, early on, I almost had to take temporary disability.

But the good news is there are several drugs that work very well. Just remember it may take time to find the right combination for you.
August 14, 2019, 07:26 AM
downtownv
I have had a lot of people w crohns report success with this:
https://www.cbddispensaryshop....oduct_cat=sublingual

https://www.teampython.com