SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So it has been one month with the minivan...here are my thoughts
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So it has been one month with the minivan...here are my thoughts Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Let's see if I can summarize what I read.

"I bought a van. I spent a lot of money modding it. I still own a van. I put toilet paper in it."

Boom!

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No matter how much money you drop on fancy mods, I bet it'll still smell like old Cheerio dust and spoiled milk within 3 months. Big Grin

You really shouldn't be so focused on tricking out your minivan... You're just taking valuable time away from what should be your true priorities: perfecting your Dad Bod, memorizing enough corny jokes to last at least the next 18 years, and finding just the right socks and fanny pack to go with your shorts and sandals.

Off the top with flying elbow to the throat!!!

quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
"it's OK grandpa, that guys soul dies a little bit every time he starts that thing!". Big Grin To this day when we see a Sienna someone in the family refers to it as "the soul killer".....

And from the mouths of babes!!!
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
Everyone needs to step back. Yes, he's now a minivan driver. He needs to learn how to go slow, stop before turning (right or left), and how to navigate all sorts of mall parking lots.

And the hits just keep on coming....

I don't get the pimp your ride really, much less so on a Mini-van your wife is going to drive and in 2 months it'll look like the inside of her purse and smell like old milk, spilled coffee, and have an assortment of random clothes / shoes / utensils / strewn throughout... not to forget old happy meals, fries between the seat, candy wrappers, and snotty fingerprints all over the windows.

See you're halfway there already...

And even after all those mods, its just a minivan.

YMMV.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Nice van. I'm a van lover from way back and keep a Ford Transit 150XL in inventory just in case I ever want to live (or love) down by the river. Wink

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
In subsequent years, I started requesting a van when I needed a rental. One year in France, we had a Plymouth Voyager turbo diesel 4speed OD. I loved that one. I would have bought one here if they had been offered.

Not a diesel, but they did offer a turbo minivan here:
http://www.cheatsheet.com/auto...ivan.html/?a=viewall

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Lots of hate here!

quote:
I don't understand the grief for the minivan.

Just some good-natured ribbing. Wink

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I said in the other thread you would be a fool if you didn't get it - I stand by that statement Smile

If you have kids it's a no-brainer, the utility is unbeatable.

In keeping with the spirit of the ribbing in the thread...doublesharp, what's up with the 'free candy' sign on your van?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
What's with the yellow fogs?

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
Let's see if I can summarize what I read.

"I bought a van. I spent a lot of money modding it. I still own a van. I put toilet paper in it."

I don't really have much in it.
The most expensive so far are the all weather mats. They cost less than 1 full interior detail to remove all the crap from the carpet.
Well worth every cent. I just wish I would have seen the Lloyds mats first.
Snow, rain, sand, and gravel stay right in all the grooves an vacuum out nice and easy. No scrubbing carpet or dealing with stains.
Same goes for the Neoprene seat covers I will have spotless leather seats because of it.

As for the lighting, I drive a lot of dark dark country roads and the visibility is 100 fold over the terrible factory lighting Toyota offers.

Window tint was cheap as only the front 2 windows needed to be done. Summers hang in the 90s here for weeks on end. Couple a black vehicle to that weather tint keeps the interior down a few degrees which is a very big plus.

Pretty much the only pointless modification was the antenna. That was strictly cosmetic but it cost me a whopping $4.95.

So far everything pretty much serves a purpose.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
From that pic, you should be out looking for the nekkid kids running around your neighborhood!

We put the kiddos in their jammies prior to heading home since they usually fall asleep. That way we just take them on to bed and don't have to wake them up. Plenty of room on the floor their to lay the kiddos down and change them.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
No matter how much money you drop on fancy mods, I bet it'll still smell like old Cheerio dust and spoiled milk within 3 months. Big Grin

I hope to keep that to a minimum. We have 2 cars the kiddos ride in and each week one gets vacuumed and cleaned. So it does not get too bad.

quote:
Originally posted by Seotaji:
Next up for the mod list:

http://st.motortrend.com/uploa...nt-three-quarter.jpg

If it were not a one off kit that is actually a Toyota Tacoma that cost probably twice as much as what I paid for this van just to do the modifications I would do it in a heartbeat.

quote:

One year in France, we had a Plymouth Voyager turbo diesel 4speed OD. I loved that one. I would have bought one here if they had been offered.

Rented one in Italy drove that beast all over Italy, Croatia, and Bosnia.

quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
FYI - the little hooks on the backs of the third row seats are for hanging plastic grocery bags on.

I had no idea. Though I did not load the groceries. This was my first time using the Kroger ClickList service so they loaded them for me.

quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:
Sweet minivan! The headlights look a little too blue though...

but yellow lamin-x over the fogs is usually my first priority.

Luckily the headlights on this one are pretty amazing out of the box (adaptive bi-xenon that point where you point)

I thought the same when I installed them when looking at the housing. Though the light that is projected is white as white can be it is a 6000K kit.

quote:
Originally posted by billnchristy:
What's with the yellow fogs?

Visibility is improved substantially over a white especially halogen bulb.
Using HIDs in both the headlights and foglights and create some wicked reflection in heavy snow, rain, or fog.
Having the yellow (these are LEDs) really light up the lines on the road if there are any but really show a distinction between the edge of the road and whatever is off to the side.

I do quite a bit of driving out on our dark county roads. I will take all the visibility I can get.

Keep the ribbing coming fellas I can take it.
Plus I still have a '32 Model A, '69 GTO, and '92 Turbo Mustang (still in the rebuilding phase but I'll get it all back together. If I can get these house projects knocked out.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
In keeping with the spirit of the ribbing in the thread...doublesharp, what's up with the 'free candy' sign on your van?

That is obviously photoshopped. My van says

Ass, Grass or Gas, Nobody rides for free. Cool

Same motto I've used, with questionable success, since the 1960s.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dbltap
posted Hide Post
Looks good Black. Only thing missing is a soccer ball sticker, then no one will suspect you're packing that USP9 Tactical. Cool

Posts: 458 | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep the ribbing coming fellas I can take it.

As you just demonstrated, way better than many would. Another testimony to my CUT....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12411 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:

Same motto I've used, with questionable success, since the 1960s.

Shouldn't "questionable" be changed to "Surprised the hell out of me!"?

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
What's the front approach angle? How's she do at forging creeks?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Hey, the factory rims look just right on it. I wouldn'the replace those. It'seems very nice ride. Drive safe and good luck with your Sienna.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
FYI - the little hooks on the backs of the third row seats are for hanging plastic grocery bags on.

I had no idea. Though I did not load the groceries. This was my first time using the Kroger ClickList service so they loaded them for me.

We had our Odyssey for over a year before I found out what they were. My brother's F-150 has them on the bottom of the rear seats. At first I thought they were for bungeeing an AR-15 to the bottom of the seat, but they point the wrong way.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
So when are you dropping in the V8 Twin Turbo?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:
That Mini-van is just part of the screwing you get for the screwing you got to get the kids in the first place. Wink

This. We had several. While I had to admit after a while there was a great deal of utility to them, full sized plywood, etc, something about driving a minivan, even driving a pimped out minivan, feels emasculating.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Well, feeling a little left out, why not raised white letter Hoosier and baby moons around? Maybe side pipes.. Big Grin

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Black,

May I suggest a set of these:

http://www.weathertech.com/toy...e-window-deflectors/

I get them for all of my cars. I keep the windows cracked while parked so fresh air can circulate.

Posts: 13104 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Bought a van in December. Came down to the Toyota and the Pacifica. We got the latter. Learned the Sienna is due for a major remodel next year. We had a 2002 Sienna and I didn't find much of a difference.
What sold me was the "stow n go" seating. Lift up the floor, pull the strap and the middle seats disappear into the floor. The rear ones are powered and do the same thing.
February we drove to Phoenix and back to the PNW. No problems, great ride, lots of room.
My only complaint is that there are 4 dealers in the area. Three of them were duds and I wouldn't trust their service. Example, the top of the line model has a middle seat in the second row. It fold and has a space in the left rear. The salesperson swore it folded into the floor. She dropped both seats the tried to fold the third seat into the floor! Last place had a bunch of good old boys in gimme hats. It also had the highest satisfaction rating in the region.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Black,

May I suggest a set of these:

http://www.weathertech.com/toy...e-window-deflectors/

I get them for all of my cars. I keep the windows cracked while parked so fresh air can circulate.

I am looking to get some.My research so far says the WeatherTechs do not fit the Sienna so well. I found a set on vankulture.com that most people tend too like and they look pretty decent.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post