SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pipe Smoker, here is your (previously) new avatar:
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pipe Smoker, here is your (previously) new avatar: Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

well if it's a problem because of internet speed, because it's outside of spec, just block him
Blocking the offender is one option. Another is the setting in your SIGforum profile, personal preferences, that disables transmission of avatars.

yep, anyone having an issue can just do this,

I had forgotten that was an option in addition to blocking the user.

So instead of pushing for others to change their image size, you can simply just block them when you're on slow bandwidth or a phone etc.

Sounds easier than trying to get images into compliance...

Or members could just do what is asked of them when they create a custom avatar. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
since I don’t use an archaic browser. And, no, that’s not because I have a fast Internet connection – my sole Internet connection is Sprint’s cellular service.

lol... what kinda crap is this?
I'm on fully updated chrome with almost half a gb download speed.
When I first load a page, if a user has a stupidly large avatar - it loads that size.
Then CSS (cascading style sheets) and HTML take over and mush it down to the appropriate visible size.
However that doesn't change the fact that the client must first download the full size image.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

It’s not easy for me to know of a size problem because all SigForum avatars appear exactly the same size to me, since I don’t use an archaic browser.
It has nothing to do with which browser you use. Nothing.

The reason that they all appear to be the same size, SIGforum software (php? not sure what language it's in), repeat, forum software, causes the avatar to re-size AFTER it has been downloaded to whatever browser the forum member is using.

Therefore, the avatars will appear to be the same size, but if it's not 60 x 60 (or smaller) to begin with, there is extra bandwidth used, and extra processing time.

If a forum user is unfortunate enough to be on a really slow connection, the whole process is very apparent.

I use a moderate speed cable internet connection, 25 MB download speed, and I can see a flash of a very large avatar on some members' posts, before the avatar is resized to the standard 60 x 60.

I just took a look at your avatar. It now seems to be 60 x 61 pixels. That's probably close enough to the recommended maximum 60 x 60.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Or members could just do what is asked of them when they create a custom avatar. Roll Eyes

yes they could, but they don't, or this conversation wouldn't exist.

More interested in a solution to the problem than working to get people to change images.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker must be That Guy on the road who doesn't turn his headlights on in fog or rain because his eyes aren't "archaic" even though everyone else on the road is doing it. Unbelievable that he's still spouting the same elitist nonsense about browsers and internet connections.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Ha! I’m not the only offender!

Yesterday bald1 posted his “got trout” thread:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5810003864

I noticed his avatar:

It appears to be 74x90 pixels. Larger, in both dimensions, than my (now downsized) avatar that caused the recent ruckus. Heh, heh!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
How in the hell do you consider your avatar downsized? It's still the original 408x412 pixels. You're daft.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

How in the hell do you consider your avatar downsized? It's still the original 408x412 pixels. You're daft.
Pipe Smoker's avatar is now 60 x 60. He is not daft.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Didn't realize I was an offender of this as well with my new one.

Can I request s hosted resize of the below?

https://66.media.tumblr.com/7c...Np1snbxmfo1_400.gifv

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
done and sent you a link. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Thank you sir.
Can someone let me know if it's better now?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
SM! I just sent you an email with a humble avatar request. (At your convenience, of course)

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Thank you sir.
Can someone let me know if it's better now?

Yes, it is 109x60. Great avatar!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
SM! I just sent you an email with a humble avatar request. (At your convenience, of course)

Done. Smile

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
Thank you! Smile

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9154 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post