SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pipe Smoker, here is your (previously) new avatar:
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pipe Smoker, here is your (previously) new avatar: Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Looks like my edit and your posts crossed. jpgs and gifs seem to work but scaled svg formats may indeed be problematic.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
bumpity bump.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Is my avatar okay?

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Is my avatar okay?

No, it's 600×480 pixels. About 100x bigger than it needs to be.

I've resized it. You can download it from here and rehost it.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
When you shrink an avatar down to required size it often becomes blurry. While it may seem counterintuitive, sometimes applying a blur to the image before shrinking it to size will make the shrunken image to seem more focused.

Gaussian blur seems to work well for me but the amount depends on the change in size. Experiment with it.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
Is my avatar okay?

Thanks, Storm. That does make it too fuzzy so I have picked another placeholder for now, but I really appreciate you trying to help me out.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Now to get mew on board.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
Is my avatar okay?

Thanks, Storm. That does make it too fuzzy so I have picked another placeholder for now, but I really appreciate you trying to help me out.

You're Welcome. I have image viewing software on my machine with only some basic editing functions. Wish I could have done better.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
Now to get mew on board.

Wow, mew paid the $400/year?! Also, I can't dl it because it's on PB.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
Thanks Orguss! My apologies for the delay in hoping over here. Been so busy with work and kids my SF time is minimal. (Also, my pro CCW workplace blocked weapons websites. Figure that out.)

Also I snipped and rehosted Mew's avatar for resizing.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Thanks for grabbing it. Also, I would have been perfectly happy to host your avatar for you. Smile

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Is mine too annoying? I'm on the fence about it.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Ouch! Sets off epileptic fits. Just kidding. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16208 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:

Since you asked, yes. I'm reading and there's this flickering to the side.

And it's only $90 a year now for photobucket for 100gb. I just downloaded all of my pictures from them. I paid $2 for a chrome app to do batch downloads. Otherwise, photobucket only lets you dl one pic at a time. Photobucket Album Downloader (Unlimit) on Google store.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
LOL I see Pipe Smoker has gone back to using his original, "it's super big but I don't see it as an issue so it must be your problem" avatar.

I still have yours hosted:
http://superdimension.net/gifs...forum/pipesmoker.jpg

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
well if it's a problem because of internet speed, because it's outside of spec, just block him, then you won't see the image at all...

Surprised the board software simply just disallows imaged over the size limit. it would solve the problem...

My high speed internet fixes dealing with the problem, but can see where it would be an issue on slower networks.

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

well if it's a problem because of internet speed, because it's outside of spec, just block him
Blocking the offender is one option. Another is the setting in your SIGforum profile, personal preferences, that disables transmission of avatars.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

well if it's a problem because of internet speed, because it's outside of spec, just block him
Blocking the offender is one option. Another is the setting in your SIGforum profile, personal preferences, that disables transmission of avatars.

yep, anyone having an issue can just do this,

I had forgotten that was an option in addition to blocking the user.

So instead of pushing for others to change their image size, you can simply just block them when you're on slow bandwidth or a phone etc.

Sounds easier than trying to get images into compliance...

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
easier than trying to get images into compliance
Especially when dealing with a compliant-resistant member. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sorry. Long ago I replaced my original avatar with a small ImageShack-hosted avatar – thought that made it legit. Apparently not. I’ll redo the ImageShack avatar.

Let me know if that does it. It’s not easy for me to know of a size problem because all SigForum avatars appear exactly the same size to me, since I don’t use an archaic browser. And, no, that’s not because I have a fast Internet connection – my sole Internet connection is Sprint’s cellular service.

BTW – Even my old avatar would’ve caused no bandwidth problems for anyone, because its pixels were 8-bit grayscale, rather than the 24- or 32-bit color pixels that most folks use. Not to mention the multi frame color GIFs that some folks use for their avatar.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8942 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post