SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    EQUIFAX Security Breach
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EQUIFAX Security Breach Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here is some additional information you can use regarding the Equifax breach and identity theft in general:

1. Make sure you are getting your free annual credit reports as provided in the Fair Credit Reporting Act. Everyone is entitled to get one free credit report each year from each of the 3 main repositories. You don't have to take them all at one time - and I recommend people spread them out over the year. IE...get one from Transunion around April, one from Experien in July, and one from Equifax in October or so. The website for getting these credit reports is: http://annualcreditreport.com

If you see unauthorized transactions, you should then notify the respective repository.

2. If you have concerns that your identity has been compromised, you can place a 90 day initial fraud alert on your credit file at each of the repositories. This will place an alert message on each credit report that is pulled on you and will advise companies to contact you before extending credit.

3. If you know that your are a victim of identity theft, you can place a 2 year extended alert on your credit file at each of the bureaus. This is similar to the 90 day alert, but goes for 2 years. Basically, the 90 day alert is a short term alert for people to do their research to determine if they have been a victim and then the 2 year alert is for people you figure out that they are actually a victim.

4. If you are really concerned, you can put a block or freeze on your credit file at each of the bureaus. This will basically lock down your credit profile and in order for someone to access, they will have to get your express permission. However, there may be a minor charge to place these blocks on your files.

5. Also, if you find you have been a victim, you can start changing your account and card numbers.

Here is a link to the FTC website on Identity theft that has detailed information on what to do to protect yourself and also what to do if your identity is stolen:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/f...-0014-identity-theft

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the alert! My wife and I are both affected and received appointments to sign up. Went ahead and put a freeze on my credit while I was there.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Clark Howard has a video out on FB. Not sure if it's on youtube or whatever.

BUT, he says NOT to enroll in their 'free' credit monitoring. Doing so will not allow you to be part of any lawsuit if your identity is stolen.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I come up as possibly compromised. I've been frozen for years though, hopefully they can't get much.

My CC's have alerts too, as I try to catch things early.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

BUT, he says NOT to enroll in their 'free' credit monitoring. Doing so will not allow you to be part of any lawsuit if your identity is stolen.

Just saw this:

"Equifax's requirement that affected customers sign up for arbitration also drew a backlash. Democrats in the House and Senate called on the company to pull back its requirement that anyone who signs up for credit monitoring give up their right to sue Equifax in a class-action lawsuit." - From Kansas.com story

I don't suspect that this will stand up for very long or the pitchforks are going to come out.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. Got me too.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
I just put a fraud alert on all 3 agencies. As soon as I lease my next car I'm changing it to a freeze. Hackers need to be hung by their balls & beaten...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
Mine says they may have my info. My enrollment date is 9/12. I pulled my TransUnion report and nothing looks odd. I don't expect any activity to show up immediately. I'll check my other credit reports over the next few months.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
quote:

A class action has already started from two people in Oregon.

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is a bunch of BS. They screw you by not securing your information then put something in the link to find out if you are a victim that releases them legally?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
My wife was showing as not affected.

Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
My cousin initiated a credit freeze at all 3 bureaus. Equifax didn't charge, and the other 2 charged $10 each.

I checked my credit today and all is clear. Not sure if I'm going to freeze or not.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
I got had by Equifax...between the two OPM breaches, credit card hacks and now Equifax I'm sure every piece of information about me is somewhere on the web.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
quote:

Assholes.

Equifax, the victim of massive hack that exposed personal information of as many as 143 million Americans, including Social Security numbers, offered help on its Web site — but by clicking on a button to seek the credit monitoring service persons automatically waived their right to sue the company over the security breach.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/s...fax-for-tricky-move/

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Yarchin:
quote:

Assholes.

Equifax, the victim of massive hack that exposed personal information of as many as 143 million Americans, including Social Security numbers, offered help on its Web site — but by clicking on a button to seek the credit monitoring service persons automatically waived their right to sue the company over the security breach.

http://nypost.com/2017/09/08/s...fax-for-tricky-move/
That is still not as egregious as a July 29th breach not reported until Sept 7th.

Equifax is really screwing the pooch with their slow notice, delayed free service, and trying to protect themselves instead of their customers.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Since Equifax reports my info was snagged, I just put security freezes in my name for all three credit reporting agencies: Equifax, Experian and TransUnion.

Monday morning I'll be looking into how to recover the $30 in charges that incurred.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
CNBC is reporting that three top execs at Equifax sold their stock holdings in the company, the day after the breach was discovered, and of course, long before today's announcement.

Insider trading? Hard time in the slammer?

It may depend on how the sales are set up. Many execs have standing sell orders set up years in advance, in which case there'd be nothing wrong. That said, if these weren't pre-programmed sales, they may need to lawyer up and start thinking about how they'll look in orange.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Equifax is really screwing the pooch with their slow notice, delayed free service, and trying to protect themselves instead of their customers.

I hate to tell you this, but you are not really their customer. The lenders who rely on their credit reports being accurate to make lending decisions are. You are merely the product they sell.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
It may depend on how the sales are set up. Many execs have standing sell orders set up years in advance, in which case there'd be nothing wrong. That said, if these weren't pre-programmed sales, they may need to lawyer up and start thinking about how they'll look in orange.

None of them were pre-arranged. I think they are in some trouble...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...er&utm_medium=social

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all these hacks and breaches, it bothers me that there are those who want our medical records available in the Cloud, or other globally accessible storage medium. Maybe that's already the case and I'm behind the times - but I hope not.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post