SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    E-bikes! Excellent Way To Get Some Weight Off
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

E-bikes! Excellent Way To Get Some Weight Off Login/Join 
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted
When I was a kid, I rode my bicycle A LOT. My legs were YUGE! I put over 4000 miles on one bike alone.

Then, something horrible happened: I bought my first car. I still rode from time to time, but no where near as much as I had before the car. After 3 years, I met my wife. She would remark about how big my legs were, and I would tell her, "That's only what's left over from my pre-car bicycling days."

15 years later, I purchased a really nice mountain bike. "I'm gonna get back in shape!" was my reasoning. But, I would drive my truck to the store instead of riding my bike. The thought of climbing the steep hills to get home just turned me off to riding. I just looked at bicycle riding as a thing from my youth.

Then, I found out about e-bikes. E-bikes are what an old guy like me was looking for! With an e-bike, you still get a work-out, but climbing steep hills isn't as ridiculously difficult as they are with a regular bicycle.

Since I got my e-bike, I've lost 10 pounds, and my goal is to lose another 20.

Here's the bike I bought and received just on January 8th:

I did a lot of research before I bought this one, and found this one to be the best buy. If money wasn't so tight, I'd want to get something more like this one:

But, I'm very happy with the one I have.

I just thought I'd share this with you guys. Maybe some of you might be interested in a bicycle that gives you a little help with climbing hills.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10695 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Cool! Coast downhill, Electric motor uphill.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I thought this would be a peloton thread Wink

Posts: 13791 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I thought this would be a peloton thread Wink

Hahaha, my thought too.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I bought a motorcycle. Strangely, I haven't lost any weight yet.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
What is that 2nd one?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
What is that 2nd one?

Not sure the model but it a hiabike.

https://www.haibikeusa.com/2018-xduro-nduro-8-5.html

Posts: 7720 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I got into Randonneuring (read: non-competitive, long-distance cycling.) Dropped many pounds, got back into better shape than I've been since I was 20 when, like you, my legs fell off courtesy of a car.

I love my long rides, but gotta say... an e-bike may be just the ticket for shorter rides around town, quick errands, where a less-serious workout can still be in the cards.

Is yours a "pedal assist" or "throttle assist" deal?

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
What is that 2nd one?

Not sure the model but it a hiabike.

https://www.haibikeusa.com/2018-xduro-nduro-8-5.html

Yikes!

I'll just stick with pedal power.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25999 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmtgsx
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2018 Haibike Trekking 4.0 in November. I still don't have 20 miles on it, mainly due to a wet and cold winter so far, but I am excited about the prospects. I did a lot of research and got lucky on the bike. I ordered a 2017 close out but his distributor sent an 2018. I got it for just over $1800 out the door. Still a lot of scratch for a bike, but I really wanted one! Mine is a pedal assist and it really helps on the hills! Makes you feel like you have bionic legs.

Redeemed!

Posts: 314 | Location: Broken Arrow, OK | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Link for the one you bought?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Pedal assist. What a great idea. I went biking with my kids and my dad and the one hill had my dad stopping while we went ahead. I'm not there yet, but if it gets my dad out and moving...

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice. We have some pretty good hills in our neighborhood. Ideal for getting through them to the flatter surrounding area. Think I’ll keep my eyes open for someone buying new and not using it. Could see both my wife and I using it on occasion.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had one for about two years now. Mine is a fat tire MTB e-bike. It is very hard to tell that it's got a battery etc. So I'm at a local park cruising, doing my old man ride. A group of about ten bikers fly past me, you know the group... all in spandex, shaved legs, and Oakley shades.

I let them get about 50 yards in front of me and then I ghosted them for a bit. We went about three miles and then I caught up to them and stayed in the pack, peddling and looking relaxed. Those fat tires make a LOT of noise. They lost their collective minds that I was on a fat tire MTB with unshaven legs and blaring 70s rock.

I try to do that every now and then.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I'm considering retiring and one of these will be high on my list. I've been looking at the Rad Power models, specifically the Radrover. I like that they're useable in National Parks, seems they have a power limit on e-bikes.

https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/2019

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:
I have had one for about two years now. Mine is a fat tire MTB e-bike. It is very hard to tell that it's got a battery etc. So I'm at a local park cruising, doing my old man ride. A group of about ten bikers fly past me, you know the group... all in spandex, shaved legs, and Oakley shades.

I let them get about 50 yards in front of me and then I ghosted them for a bit. We went about three miles and then I caught up to them and stayed in the pack, peddling and looking relaxed. Those fat tires make a LOT of noise. They lost their collective minds that I was on a fat tire MTB with unshaven legs and blaring 70s rock.

I try to do that every now and then.

Hilarious!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

JP

Posts: 2041 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:

Both. And, the Juiced also has "cruise control." I don't think any other e-bike vendors offer cruise control.

quote:
Originally posted by craigcpa:

Sure

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I'm considering retiring and one of these will be high on my list. I've been looking at the Rad Power models, specifically the Radrover.

Juiced will match or beat Rad's price AND with the Juiced, you get hydraulic disc brakes, and a higher capacity battery.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10695 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jmtgsx
posted Hide Post
quote:

https://www.elektrofahrrad24.d...ike-sduro-trekking-4 if you're up on your German...
https://www.freewheelingfrance...g-electric-bike.html English review (in France)

Redeemed!

Posts: 314 | Location: Broken Arrow, OK | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

Both. And, the Juiced also has "cruise control." I don't think any other e-bike vendors offer cruise control.

quote:

Sure

quote:
I'm considering retiring and one of these will be high on my list. I've been looking at the Rad Power models, specifically the Radrover.

Juiced will match or beat Rad's price AND with the Juiced, you get hydraulic disc brakes, and a higher capacity battery.

Got it bookmarked, thanks.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
quote:

quote:

Sure

quote:

Got it bookmarked, thanks.