SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HDMI for Dummies
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HDMI for Dummies Login/Join 
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted
Installing my new security cameras and am having problems with the display. I'm trying to use a television as the monitor because I would like to have all 8 cameras display at once. I have an older Panasonic Viera flat screen but it will not display anything from the NVR, just a blank screen even without the cameras connected. It is an HDMI TV but its probably about 8 ~ 10 YO. The NVR displays fine on a couple of other newer TV's that I have. I was just wondering if HDMI has changed in this time that would be preventing it from working?

NVR Features: 4K UltraHD, 4TB
• 8 IP Video Channels
• 8 PoE Ports (Power over Ethernet)
• 256 Mbps Incoming Bandwith
• Up to 4K Resolution Live & Playback
• 1/4/8 Camera Grid Display Playback
• HDMI & VGA output
• Smart video detection: MD, camera blank, video loss
• 3D intelligent positioning PTZ dome cameras
• Easy backup: USB devices, CD/DVD-RW, cloud & network download
• Alarm triggering screen tips, buzzer, PTZ, e-mail & FTP upload
• 2 SATA Hard Drive, Max Storage 8TB
• Built-in web server, CMS(DSS/PSS) & DMSS

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Maybe the NVR is using an output mode that is incompatible with the TV's input mode?

Like the NVR is sending a 1080P signal but the TV can only handle 720P?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
What happens if you use VGA output to the Tv?
Even if it is not your ultimate output mode ~ at least to test?

quote:
I was just wondering if HDMI has changed in this time that would be preventing it from working?

Actually, it has changed quite a bit.
Coordination of settings, cables, connectors and original material are all required.
Failure usually happens when you push something beyond their limits but most is backwards compatible but not always automatically so.

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-h...ion-problems-1846811

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Remember that HDMI is essentially a network protocol.

There is a problem with network communication here somewhere.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Remember that HDMI is essentially a network protocol.

There is a problem with network communication here somewhere.

No, that's not it.

HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is a proprietary audio/video interface for transmitting uncompressed video data and compressed or uncompressed digital audio data from an HDMI-compliant source device, such as a display controller, to a compatible computer monitor, video projector, digital television, or digital audio device. HDMI is a digital replacement for analog video standards.

Posts: 22898 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Is the "8 ~ 10 YO" "Panasonic Viera flat screen" an old school plasma? I have one, and the max resolution input it supports is 1080i/720p.

I would bet that NVR is setup to output in 4k or 1080p, which that older Viera doesn't support. Can you use one of the other displays to configure the NVR output for 720p?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thanks
Not a plasma.

I didn't try the VGA but I will.

This TV will be a slave monitor for viewing upstairs. I was going to split the HDMI out of the NVR. The NVR is downstairs in the family room and this TV displays just fine.

Does both the VGA and HDMI ports output at the same time? In other words can I leave the one TV on HDMI and the other on VGA and view both simultaneously?

Posts: 1580 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 08 Cayenne:
Thanks
Not a plasma.

This TV will be a slave monitor for viewing upstairs. I was going to split the HDMI out of the NVR. The NVR is downstairs in the family room and this TV displays just fine.

Does both the VGA and HDMI ports output at the same time? In other words can I leave the one TV on HDMI and the other on VGA and view both simultaneously?
Probably doesn't matter if it's a plasma, based solely on age, I'd say it is probably still not 4k/1080p compatible. 1080p, maybe, maybe not, but almost certainly not 4k. If the TV is 8-10 YO, I'd say it is probably input mode limited. So you may still want to look at the NVR video output configuration.

As for simultaneous output capability, it depends on the NVR, and how it's configured. I'll vote that part as a solid, probably/maybe.

Doesn't really matter though, if your objective is to use an HDMI splitter, get the output of the NVR set to 720p and it should be compatible with pretty much anything you might want to use. You're making this more difficult than it needs to be if the NVR output can be changed to a resolution/output mode compatible with all the devices you want to use.

EDIT: Also, if the TVs are a fair distance apart, you may need to use an HDMI extender. HDMI has a max practical distance of ~50 feet.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6211 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks
Not a plasma.

How long of a cable are you using? HDMI is digital, you'll get either all or nothing, not a crappy fuzzy picture if you have it too long. You might also try turning the NVR to 720P output or so - might gain a few ft of transmit capability, but probably not a huge gain..
I have a 100' HDMI cable that works, but not on all source devices - cheaper, smaller, lower-power usage ones don't work. A Satellite TV box will work, but a chromecast won't, for example.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's probably more in the Output Settings of the NVR than the TV itself.

Some computers/NVRs also struggle with simultaneous output to multiple devices (and most importantly - via different output formats) more than others, also, and even when you get it to work its more finicky, which all comes back to the Video Card itself.

If it were me I'd haul the old TV down near the NVR to make the experiments easier, and I'd monkey with the Output Settings of the NVR.

Will it work with just the old TV?
Will it work with both but a short cable run?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the troubleshooting link.

All I did was connect to the HDMI on the old TV, it wouldn't work so I moved to a newer TV and it worked fine. I never tried to hook to multiple TV's at the same time.

The HDMI cable is 6'.

If I change the output of the NVR to 720P, will the digital image quality be reduced? I'd rather buy a new TV if it is. Just bought sweet 4K motorized zoom cameras.

I'm ignorant when it comes to this, I have no idea how to configure anything. Will have to research this.

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What's the model number of the old Panasonic TV?

And the make and model number of the NVR setup?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Panasonic Viera TC-26LX60

There is no make on the NCR. I bought it from Backstreet Surveillance.
Model Number is NVR302A-08/8P 4KS2

Googled it, looks like a Dahua

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the troubleshooting link.

All I did was connect to the HDMI on the old TV, it wouldn't work so I moved to a newer TV and it worked fine. I never tried to hook to multiple TV's at the same time.

The HDMI cable is 6'.

If I change the output of the NVR to 720P, will the digital image quality be reduced? I'd rather buy a new TV if it is. Just bought sweet 4K motorized zoom cameras.

I'm ignorant when it comes to this, I have no idea how to configure anything. Will have to research this.

Will the resolution be reduced, yes. Will you notice a difference, probably not. Maybe you'd notice on the newer TV (assuming 4k vs 720p).
Doesn't cost anything to try & at least you'll know what to try if that new TV doesn't work either....

6' HDMI cable negates everything in my previous post, but you might keep it in mind once you start splitting & running longer distances.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Panasonic Viera TC-26LX60

Quick duckduckgo search says that model only supports up to 1080i input.

Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
There have been several versions of HDMI over the years. If you have seen it work on newer sets, it's not the cable itself causing it. Chances are, that TV only supports an early version of HDMI and simply won't support what the NVR is spitting out.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I have 7 of 8 camera ports on my DVR connected. Goes by HDMI to an HDMI splitter then to 4 different 720 monitors (all TV's). 6 cameras are 4 mg and the other is 2 mg. Good pictures on each monitor. Longest run is 75'. I bought a splitter from either Newegg or Amazon (don't remember which) 1 port in and 4 out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: molachi,

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
At the risk of stating the obvious, many TVS have multiple hdmi ports. Have you scrolled thru all your hdmi inputs and nothing on any of them?

Posts: 1824 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the age of the monitor places this with an earlier version of HDMI. The pixel clock rate and some video/audio standards changed. Potentially causing incompatibility. I tried to verify which version of HDMI on the model but didn't see it listed on the manual. A little more sleuthing could match the HDMI version and monitor based on the year of being manufactured.

So, I'd try the VGA output as suggested. You could also try the HDMI again. Just make sure to thoroughly go through the menu items on both devices and make sure the output/input signals are compatible if you have options to change this. It is possible that the devices are just incompatible via HDMI.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everyone.

There is only 1 physical hdmi connection on the tv and in the menu for selecting the output it has TV, HDMI, and 4 different selections for aux. Hopefully the tv has a vga socket and its one of the aux's.

I just found the manual on-line and it does not have a VGA input.

I called technical support where I bought the equipment and they say that both the hdmi and vga outputs are usable at the same time. So if the vga works on the old tv I'm good, no need to split.