SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wish me luck! Taking my boys 4 and 3 fishing for the first time tomorrow. UPDATE: Complete success!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wish me luck! Taking my boys 4 and 3 fishing for the first time tomorrow. UPDATE: Complete success! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Well the weather has finally turned into actual spring weather around here. About a month late but what can one do. So we are headed down to open up the cabin for the season. Got a little bit of work to do but if the rain holds off we’ll do a little fishing.
I took my 4 year old last year and he had a blast. The 3 year old has been itching to go ever since.
So Thursday took them out to Cabelas and got them a couple of Shakespeare rods and reels and a nice little tackle box.

We’ll be hitting the road at 7am. Hopefully the rain holds off. Got a bag full of puzzles, paper markers, and their Leap Frog learning books if weather is bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Good times Black, good times!!!!

Have fun. These are the kind of trips you and your Sons will remember for a lifetime!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I always looked for action with youg’uns. That was usually worms, a bobber, and panfish. Don’t worry about fishing yourself, you’ll have plenty to do.

One of my ‘secrets’ is a small hook, to actually hook the fish when they are on the tiny side. I like thin line too.

Another idea is a trout farm of sorts. Yes, it costs a bit, but guaranteed action, and good eating when done. Don’t let them hook each other.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time and memories being made

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck! It'll be tough but you won't regret the time spent with your boys. Make sure to make the day for the boys only. Don't even bother taking your rod and focus only on them.

Posts: 708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
That's great. Teaching a child to fish is a gift that can truly last a lifetime.

That being said, it's best to not expect much actual fishing to be done. The main goal should be to have fun. If that means one of them holding a rod for 5 minutes, playing with a toy for the next 30 minutes, then holding the rod for another 5 minutes, so be it. Be sure and have some special snacks and drinks, too. The whole experience should be unique and enjoyable regardless of how many fish are caught and how long the bait is actually in the water.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love to hear that. My father took me fishing as a very young boy. It ended up a real passion of mine. I now get to take my 83 yo father fishing a few times a year. We even do an overnight boat camping trip. We still love it.
It may end up the same for one of your little ones. What a great adventure that awaits. Enjoy it!

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Keep it fun!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
They had an absolute BLAST!!!
Kept me working that is for sure. We got about an hour of fishing in before the downpour hit.
I’d say each took about 15 or so casts and got about 10 each.
I’d put a worm on for one boy then they’d be reeling one in as I was worming the other boy’s hook. Finish worming that hook and then take a fish of the other an just kept the cycle going.

————————————————

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Sounds fun dad. No pics of the fish??

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
That's awesome! Sounds like you have a great spot to take them to.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Sounds like y'all had a blast! And, did better than me. But hey, it's a fish ain't it? Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great experience.

It's awesome when the kids can catch 1 fish after the other.....the size of them doesn't seem to matter so much at that age, it seems to be all about the numbers.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Had my hands full with the two so did not get too many pictures but here is one.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Awesome family experience!! My son is older (15 yrs. old) but I really look forward every time to spending time fishing with him and enjoying the outdoors. Your boys will get bigger and so will the fish!!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
They had an absolute BLAST!!!
Kept me working that is for sure. We got about an hour of fishing in before the downpour hit.
I’d say each took about 15 or so casts and got about 10 each.
I’d put a worm on for one boy then they’d be reeling one in as I was worming the other boy’s hook. Finish worming that hook and then take a fish of the other an just kept the cycle going.

What an awesome start. Reminds me of the first time I went fishing (that I can remember) as a little boy. Sitting on a dock, using worms, blue gill striking like piranha. Good times and hooked for life.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
My dad taking me fishing for the first time many years ago is a memory that I still hold on to to this day. You are a good dad for pushing through the weather to give your sons some fishing time. The fact that you got them casting at 3 & 4 years of age is amazing.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great!! My sons and I would take off for several days as soon as school let out. It was our "lost boys" time. Fishing, camping, good movies and zoo's.
Same as taking off with my Dad and Grandpa.

Wishing you many grand adventures.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Great to hear, and see! I hope to get the boys out soon too. That's a lot of work, but man is it worth it, those boys will remember that forever. Great job Dad!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post