SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    IP Security Camera Monitoring System
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

IP Security Camera Monitoring System Login/Join 
Picture of fpuhan
posted
I read several threads related to this topic here, but none addressed my specific need/query.

I just bought a home that is equipped with three exterior IP (dome) cameras. The system includes an appliance, a monitor, a micro-CD and three Ethernet cables emitting from the wall into the appliance. The system works (i.e., it boots up, I can see the three camera images on the monitor, etc.). I just had FiOS installed, and it may be that the cameras "see" and join the single network (the Verizon tech unplugged from the co-ax on the plate with the Ethernet jacks and plugged into the single Verizon co-ax, and the cameras still work just by changing the source input on the monitor. So far, so good...

I'm mostly a Mac guy, so finding a computer that would mount the micro-CD was a bit of a challenge, but I found an old Win7 laptop and copied the software and manuals onto a USB drive. Well, here's where it gets a little tricky: The software is Windows-only, and the manuals were written by someone (probably Chinese) without knowledge of the English language. Seriously. Trying to decipher the manuals is painful!

So, here's what I'd like to do: Use a Mac as my camera monitor and recorder, and make it so I can connect via the Internet from my office to view via browser.

Did I make that clear? Anything I missed?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
In order to answer your question you either need to post your setup/configuration or better yet maybe call your mfg support team or look it up on their support site.
I can decipher configurations but reading minds - not so much.

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
You could possibly use Sighthound on the Mac for IP surveillance.

But as smschultz stated, we really need to know the model of *at least* the DVR and cameras.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
It's doubtful there's a Mac version of the software you have that allows camera viewing and recording. You could try running it on the Mac via Windows Boot Camp or Virtual PC maybe?

Posts: 33750 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use SecuritySpy for both home and office surveillance. It allows you to record and browse video.

You can also setup your router to direct certain requests on your home IP address to display the camera.

https://www.bensoftware.com/securityspy/index.html

They have live demo cameras on their site.

I highly recommend them.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

You can run a Mac Virtual Machine to run an instance of Windows (whatever version). Or, if the Windows software is a single .exe file, you can use WineBottler to convert it to a Mac executable bundle, and not have to fool with Windows at all.

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SecuritySpy is Mac software and should be able to do what you want without having to mess with windows software at all.
Download a demo version and try it.
You will just need to figure out the IP addresses of the cameras.

Posts: 134 | Location: Southern Arizona | Registered: September 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, all. I have been reading the Ben Software info on SecuritySpy, and it's so far the best source of information I've seen. For those asking, the device is a Network Video Recorder (NVR) made by LTS. The model is LTN8708K-P8. After searching their site extensively, I've found the manual to the device, and there are instructions for resetting it, which means I should be able to set it up as a brand new configuration. I've written to the company for assistance but have yet to receive a response. I don't know the model of cameras yet, but they appear to be all the same. They are Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) cameras, so I'll have to climb a ladder to check at least one of them out.

So here's the good news: the entire system conveyed with the house. That included a 42" HDTV! I thought at first that it was just a monitor, but the FiOS installer had it running CATV as well.

To be clear: I don't *need* for this system to be Mac-specific. If I can get a fully-functioning system with the equipment on hand, I'm okay with that. My problem is that without a system admin password, I can't configure anything!

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
So the issue is that it is a used system and the administrative password may have been set?
I see no other issues ~ just let the NVR do all the work and view on whatever device you want.
I am sure you already found the software link > HERE

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
LTS is a good product. We use it in-house (private labeled) as one of our entry-level lines.

You may want to check the age of the HDD, it might be time to replace.

Contact me via email, and I'll give you the secret decoder ring settings and procedure to reset your admin password to default.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: striker1,

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post