SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chicago's Cook County has now set up voting booths in jail so their constituents can vote early and often
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicago's Cook County has now set up voting booths in jail so their constituents can vote early and often Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
No, this is not The Onion.

http://abc7chicago.com/society...county-jail/3199317/

First jail-wide, in-person voting held at Cook County Jail

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Volunteers organized the first jail-wide, in-person voting process at Cook County Jail Saturday.

Organizers said 94 percent of inmates at the jail are eligible to vote. The program is part of an effort to give more people in the criminal justice system the ability to vote.

Reverend Jesse Jackson participated in early voting in the hopes of leading by example. Early voting began last week for Cook County.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Some probably voted for a cell mate.

I understand the Illinois Ex-Governors Association meets at the penitentiary.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Well, there is a reason they call it Crook County

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Dead people, however, are only issued one ballot.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I understand the Illinois Ex-Governors Association meets at the penitentiary.

With the exception of Blago, most ex governors were inmates at Oxford FCI. It was not unusual to see limos heading there on visiting weekends. It was also possible to see the former Governors planting flowers along the roads.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Not too many votes for the "Law and Order Party" obviously.

Their votes shouldn't be counted until each inmate can prove he has fully paid restitution to all his victims.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Of all the things volunteers could be doing in Cook County/Chicago area, this is what they come up with? Sheesh.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
A felony conviction should strip one of one's voting rights, but not every inmate is in there on a felony.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
A felony conviction should strip one of one's voting rights, but not every inmate is in there on a felony.

Yes, they can request an absentee ballot just like anyone else who can't make it to the polls.

It's inconvenient for me to leave work to go vote, but I don't see them setting up a voting booth at my place of work. Also, if my work sends me out of town on election day I have to have the foresight to request a ballot.

If they don't like having to take responsibility for their right to vote maybe they shouldn't commit a crime before the next election.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
They've had polling places set up in Chicago cemeteries for years...this doesn't surprise me...

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Wisconsin's voter-ID now they probably can't just send them up here anymore. Smile

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
They should of kept Jesse Jackson in jail and not let him out.

Posts: 5302 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
what are they voting for? the Thursday menu selection?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post