SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    neighbors, doing what it takes to insure quality of living
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

neighbors, doing what it takes to insure quality of living Login/Join 
posted
Here:
http://www.thegazette.com/subj...r-own-hands-20171101

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well done. It cost them perhaps $25k per owner, and now they control their own fate. Their homes are referred to as "upscale", which is relative, but I'm sure that nobody that owns a single family dwelling of *any* value wants to see an 8-building apartment complex go up next to them.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2066 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UMMM, If they were that concerned they wouldn't have bought a house that's built 5' from the house next door.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
UMMM, If they were that concerned they wouldn't have bought a house that's built 5' from the house next door.

Right? I feel like I would have bought the 8 acres for myself and built a house on it, getting me away from the rest of them.

Posts: 6349 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
What I find sad is all of these rural farmlands being turned into subdivisions, Section 8 housing, strip malls, etc....

I've struggled with this for a long time. On the one hand, you can hardly blame the owners for selling for the often-times obscene amounts of money. On the other hand, I wish we still lived in a world where they didn't feel the need or desire to sell (be it kids taking over the farm or whatever).

I grew up surrounded by farmland. Many an afternoon was spent hunting pheasants and huns and riding motorcycles and snowcats on those thousands of acres of land. Now? Subdivision after subdivision popped up like mushrooms seemingly overnight.

It's sad to see...and ugly.

I don't blame these folks one bit. Good for them.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
What I find sad is all of these rural farmlands being turned into subdivisions, Section 8 housing, strip malls, etc....

I've struggled with this for a long time. On the one hand, you can hardly blame the owners for selling for the often-times obscene amounts of money. On the other hand, I wish we still lived in a world where they didn't feel the need or desire to sell (be it kids taking over the farm or whatever).

I grew up surrounded by farmland. Many an afternoon was spent hunting pheasants and huns and riding motorcycles and snowcats on those thousands of acres of land. Now? Subdivision after subdivision popped up like mushrooms seemingly overnight.

I lived in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio in the late 90’s. Farmland all around when I moved there, and 3-4 years later when I moved, it was all sold and being built on. It was breathtaking how quickly it happened. I probably wouldn’t recognize it if I ever went back. I’m no farm girl, but I used to take my dog out for runs in those fields near where we lived. I can’t imagine how sad the locals were to see it all turn so quickly. My sis currently lives in Austin, she says it’s changing even faster.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5318 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
The houses went up & the trees were cut down. There went the finest deer huntin' around.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5479 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
7.8 acres for $236k? wow, that's a great deal! I'm not in a big city and the 1 acre lot my wife and I are looking at is basically the same price.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
7.8 acres for $236k? wow, that's a great deal! I'm not in a big city and the 1 acre lot my wife and I are looking at is basically the same price.

There's 55 acres near me that's expected to go for $10k/acre & everyone thinks its outrageous.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
127 acres go up for sale here, tomorrow.

expecting $11,500 - $12,500 per acre

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where are people supposed to live?

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if there was less immigration, illegal or not, there would be less demand for land. Some of this is definitely due to Obama and his policies.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

We call them designer ghetto's. People nowadays want a big big house to show off to their friends and don't want to maintain the exterior or have a lot of it to maintain, because maintaining lawn, landscaping, etc. takes constant money. So they buy a big house plopped on a lot that's 5' away from the neighboring houses on both sides and has a 20' deep backyard.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

Wherever they lived before works for me.

Posts: 20098 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:

More importantly, what are people supposed to eat? I hate seeing productive farmland turned into McMansions. Sure, the farmer wants to retire, maybe the kids don't want to farm, but at least try to find someone who will keep the land in production.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
More importantly, what are people supposed to eat? I hate seeing productive farmland turned into McMansions. Sure, the farmer wants to retire, maybe the kids don't want to farm, but at least try to find someone who will keep the land in production.

If farmers were farmers , like they were in the early 60's, instead of planters, as most are now ,
I completely understand your perspective.

Farmers used to have farms with corn,beans cows, chickens and pigs, hay fields and and 3/4 acre gardens.

Farmers have been bitching about low grain prices, but ! almost none of them want to face the fact that they are growing more than the market is demanding.

If they would zap themselves in too reality and
worry about feeding 54 people , with the old type of farming , instead of hoping to make a billion dollars by just growing corn or beans , they would be as happy as the day is long.
-------but that would be work

Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
quote:

I lived in a suburb of Columbus, Ohio in the late 90’s. Farmland all around when I moved there, and 3-4 years later when I moved, it was all sold and being built on. It was breathtaking how quickly it happened. I probably wouldn’t recognize it if I ever went back. I’m no farm girl, but I used to take my dog out for runs in those fields near where we lived. I can’t imagine how sad the locals were to see it all turn so quickly. My sis currently lives in Austin, she says it’s changing even faster.

Speaking of Ohio, this song pretty well sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wplUBFVsbtw&sns=em

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I foresee problems when any of the owners dies or moves away.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post