SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
If precisely what you quoted occurred with a OPD or OCSO officer, and that officer ventilated the suspect twice, I'll lay even odds there would be hell to pay for that officer.

LOL

-------------------------------------------------------
Really stretching your intellect with that response aren't you. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Where does it say the store owner has a duty to retreat in the FL statute? He’s trying to recover or prevent the theft of his property and the perpetrator moves the hatchet to his right hand from his pants wouldn’t that be seen as a threat of bodily harm?
Again, I think you (and all of us) are Monday Morning QB'ing this a bit too much. First off, no, the Florida law does not require the owner to retreat. But I doubt the law would support escalating the situation to the point of armed conflict. Second, how or why did the hatchet end up in the suspect hand? We don't know because the video provides no answer. Did the hatchet fall out of his britches as he was trying to leave and he grabbed it with his hand? Who knows. Did he threaten the business owner with the hatchet? Not on the video we have, but that doesn't preclude it happening before the video picked them up. Is there addition video footage we haven't seen (i.e. unreleased thusfar)? Who knows.

Way too many unanswered questions so far to come to any final opinion on the guilt or innocence of the business owner.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shiftyvtec
posted Hide Post
I say good shoot. Probably heading to do some MS13 shit with that axe.

Posts: 1568 | Location: Near Austin, TX | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’ve often said that if people thought they might get shot stealing, there’d be a lot less of it going on.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
If precisely what you quoted occurred with a OPD or OCSO officer, and that officer ventilated the suspect twice, I'll lay even odds there would be hell to pay for that officer.

LOL

Yes! an internet rejoinder!!

love it

-----------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

LOL

All right - I'll play.

I don't normally do this.

Can you post 3 or 4 examples of cases where OPD or OCSO LE shot ARMED (this guy had a hatchet) criminals RESISTING arrest (this guy was resisting) and then 'paid hell' for the shootings. I'm guessing by 'hell to pay' you mean they would be indicted.

Not one. But multiple because you seem quite sure - so I am basing your steadfast belief on the fact you have seen it happen on multiple occasions.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
back on topic for Saturday morning--

Charged with Murder:

http://www.tampabay.com/news/p...shoplifter_172793988

LAKELAND — A Lakeland city commissioner surrendered Friday to face a second-degree murder charge in the Oct. 3 fatal shooting of a suspected shoplifter at a military surplus store.

Michael Dunn, who has served on the City Commission since January, arrived at the Polk County Jail in Bartow shortly after 6 p.m., accompanied by detectives in an unmarked car.

At a news conference a half-hour later, Polk State Attorney Brian Haas said he doesn’t believe the killing of 50-year-old Christobal Lopez was premeditated. But he also doesn’t see grounds for a self-defense claim. So he took the matter to a grand jury, which indicted Dunn.

"Let me be clear: It is the policy of my office to comply with and abide by the stand your ground law," Haas said. "However, I have determined that this case and the actions of Mr. Dunn fall outside the protection of the stand your ground law."

Dunn did not answer questions shouted by reporters; nor did he make eye contact. He looked somber, his head bowed. His hands were cuffed behind him. He was fingerprinted, searched and ordered held without bail.

He could make his first appearance in court this weekend. If convicted of the charge, he could face up to life in prison.

The indictment came five days after surveillance video of the fatal encounter was released to the media.

Dunn, 47, reported seeing Lopez pocket a hatchet the afternoon of Oct. 3 inside the Army Navy Vets Surplus store that the commissioner co-owns in Lakeland. Lopez, an agricultural laborer, had entered the store with his father, police said.

Dunn asked Lopez if he was going to purchase the item, police said.

Video from inside store shows Dunn holding a gun in his right hand as Lopez tries to advance toward the door. Dunn pushes Lopez with his left arm, and Lopez tries to leave again.

Still pointing the gun at Lopez, Dunn grabs at Lopez’s shoulder from behind, as Lopez makes it out the door, the video shows. Lopez raises his left arm in an apparent attempt to break free, and Dunn appears to fire.

Lopez falls to the pavement.

Dunn’s attorney, Rusty Franklin, has previously told reporters that Dunn was justified in shooting Lopez because he was holding a hatchet during the scuffle. In the video, an object is visible in Lopez’s right hand.

Just nine days passed before the Lakeland Police Department referred a criminal complaint affidavit to the State Attorney’s Office, Police Chief Larry Giddens said, joining Haas at the news conference.

"In those few days," Giddens said, "the scene was processed, all witnesses were interviewed, the victim’s family was interviewed, the defendant’s statement was obtained, multiple reports were written.

"The Medical Examiner’s Office conducted their investigation, the surveillance video was downloaded and then compiled so it could be viewed."

The arrest came 16 days after the shooting.

Giddens said the two agencies exercised the "utmost care" and strove for transparency.

"Although this investigation may have taken longer than some would have liked, we had an obligation to do it right and that is what we will always do to ensure that the citizens of this community can continue to have faith and confidence in us that we have earned over these past few years," he said.

Giddens said the commissioner was taken into custody at his attorney’s office Friday afternoon and was cooperative. The Bartow Police Department assisted two Lakeland detectives with the arrest.

Dunn is an adamant supporter of gun ownership who hosted a July rally at his store to counter a nearby March for our Lives rally on the same day.

His attorney has not responded to telephone calls, e-mails and messages about Dunn from the Tampa Bay Times.

It was not immediately clear whether Dunn would remain on the City Commission while he fights the criminal charge.

Haas said the governor’s office was notified of Friday’s charge.

Florida statutes allow the governor to suspend an elected official arrested on a felony or misdemeanor charge "related to the duties of office" and remove them if convicted.

=======================================================================