SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
It was only a shoplifted item, he was in no danger of harm from the man running away.

As much as I hate a thief, if he is retreating, let the police handle it.

He shot him with malice in my opinion.

The store owner or manager has the authority under Florida shoplifting law to take the thief into custody.

I agree with HayesGreener. If the suspect pulled the hatchet from his pants and put it into his right hand, the store owner was in danger. He had the right to detain the thief, so he obeyed the law from beginning to end.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Texas gets it right... you can shoot a crook in the back as he runs away with your old VCR...

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
What is in his right hand around 0:18 - 0:19 into video. You can see something come up in the window. Is that a weapon?

Edit fixed grammar.

You may well axe ...

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Another poor choice by a Mexican to come here... It's probably equally deadly, stealing in Mexico too

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8339 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
In the heat of the moment. Looking at the photo before the shots were fired, he has his finger on the trigger. I have to wonder whether it was an unintentional discharge, however he did fire 2 shots. Looking at it from the perspective of as trainer.

The store owner or manager has the authority under Florida shoplifting law to take the thief into custody.

If the guy uses force to commit a theft before, during, and after the theft in Florida, it is a robbery. (Chapter 812) Robbery is a forcible felony in Florida and Chapter 776 permits deadly force to counter the imminent commission of a forcible felony. If it is determined that he was within the parameters of 776, he cannot be arrested or sued in Florida. The prosecutor may see it as an armed robbery since the decedent had armed himself with a hatchet during the theft. The prosecutor may also see this as an unnecessary use of deadly force, but being in Polk County I doubt it. If he ends up being charged I don't think it will get past an immunity hearing, since the prosecutor must prove that he was not in fear or there was not the imminent commission of a forcible felony to prevail. This will be an interesting case to follow as it is right at the edge of the law.

I think you may be correct in your analysis. If you try to stop a shoplifter and he pushes past you that is considered force and escalates the misdemeanor shoplifting charge to felony robbery.

Found this on justica:
quote:
Robbery—Strong-arm—Hands, Fists, Feet, Etc.
The category of Robbery—Strong-arm—Hands, Fists, Feet, etc., (3d) includes muggings and similar offenses in which only personal weapons such as hands, arms, feet, fists, and teeth are employed or their use is threatened to deprive the victim of possessions.

In the absence of force or threat of force, as in pocket-picking or purse-snatching, the offense must be classified as larceny-theft rather than robbery. However, if in a purse-snatching or other such crime, force or threat of force is used to overcome the active resistance of the victim, the offense must be classified as strong-arm robbery (3d).

The following scenarios illustrate incidents known to law enforcement that reporting agencies must classify as Robbery—Strong-arm (3d):

10. During a purse-snatching, a thief shoved a woman to the ground and took her purse. The thief escaped.

11. A juvenile was observed by a store security guard concealing compact discs under his shirt. When he was confronted, the youth punched the security guard and fled the store, leaving the compact discs behind.

Posts: 103 | Registered: April 19, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
But that law has limits, and shooting a suspect who is not actively attacking the business owner, but rather simply trying to get away, is likely to exceed the limits. The prosecution will no doubt argue the hatchet wasn't being wielded in a threatening manner, but rather, was just being carried by the suspect. And what if the hatchet had a scabbard on it, like so many for sale do? I can't make out in the video if that's the case, but if it is, the hatchet becomes little more than a blunt object. I am all in for protecting oneself from harm, but it appears the business owner could have de-escalated this incident very easily, which likely will be what costs him jail time in the end.
quote:
I agree with HayesGreener. If the suspect pulled the hatchet from his pants and put it into his right hand, the store owner was in danger. He had the right to detain the thief, so he obeyed the law from beginning to end.
Regardless what HayesGreener, or you (or I) think, trying to convince a jury of that is likely going to be a tall order.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
In the heat of the moment. Looking at the photo before the shots were fired, he has his finger on the trigger. I have to wonder whether it was an unintentional discharge, however he did fire 2 shots. Looking at it from the perspective of as trainer.

If the guy uses force to commit a theft before, during, and after the theft in Florida, it is a robbery. (Chapter 812) Robbery is a forcible felony in Florida and Chapter 776 permits deadly force to counter the imminent commission of a forcible felony. If it is determined that he was within the parameters of 776, he cannot be arrested or sued in Florida. The prosecutor may see it as an armed robbery since the decedent had armed himself with a hatchet during the theft. The prosecutor may also see this as an unnecessary use of deadly force, but being in Polk County I doubt it. If he ends up being charged I don't think it will get past an immunity hearing, since the prosecutor must prove that he was not in fear or there was not the imminent commission of a forcible felony to prevail. This will be an interesting case to follow as it is right at the edge of the law.

This. It does not make to a trial.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And what if the hatchet had a scabbard on it, like so many for sale do? I can't make out in the video if that's the case, but if it is, the hatchet becomes little more than a blunt object.

try that with a cop and see what happens

---------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The video shows the thief putting an object under his shirt, and inside his belt line. So at some point the thief takes it out and has it in his right hand, probably as he is getting dragged down by the shop keeper.

Therefore he goes from trying to escape to stopping his arrest with a hatchet.

-c1steve

Posts: 4052 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
His attorney has a lot of work to do.

Hope the guy has deep pockets, otherwise...he's fooked.

Posts: 20064 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My initial reaction after watching the video was it's a bad shoot. No question about it. But after reading some of the comments here and considering other factors such as the law and what constitutes a felonious robbery, I'm no longer sure where I fall in this case. I just don't know.

What I do know is that often facts are rarely as clear as we are made to believe from a newspaper article or news clip, even when there is video evidence.

Hmmm, well, I'll let the DA and the jury decide this one.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30398 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
And what if the hatchet had a scabbard on it, like so many for sale do? I can't make out in the video if that's the case, but if it is, the hatchet becomes little more than a blunt object.

try that with a cop and see what happens

---------------------------------------------
If precisely what you quoted occurred with a OPD or OCSO officer, and that officer ventilated the suspect twice, I'll lay even odds there would be hell to pay for that officer.

No where in the video does it show the suspect threaten or attack the business owner with the hatchet. It 'may' have happened and the video didn't reflect it, but from what we have to work with now, it will likely be an uphill battle trying to convince anyone the business owner was in "fear for his life and/or safety" as the reason he popped this guy.
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
The video shows the thief putting an object under his shirt, and inside his belt line. So at some point the thief takes it out and has it in his right hand, probably as he is getting dragged down by the shop keeper.

Therefore he goes from trying to escape to stopping his arrest with a hatchet.
There is no video evidence of any of that other than that the suspect had the hatchet in his right hand when the owner tried to drag him back into the store. The video we've been provided shows no effort on the part of the suspect to attack or endanger the business owner. Not saying it didn't happen, but the video doesn't support it.

You're getting ahead of the story. Let's wait and see what other evidence surfaces to support either of the two participants in this incident. I for one am not ready to call this one yet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
One thing for sure is the asshole won't be stealing again!

Posts: 13085 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My initial reaction after watching the video was it's a bad shoot. No question about it. But after reading some of the comments here and considering other factors such as the law and what constitutes a felonious robbery, I'm no longer sure where I fall in this case. I just don't know.

What I do know is that often facts are rarely as clear as we are made to believe from a newspaper article or news clip, even when there is video evidence.

Hmmm, well, I'll let the DA and the jury decide this one.

Maybe you fall into the same camp as me.

While i think it will fall within the letter of the law i have a hard time considering it a good shooting. Killing someone who would have not been a threat if you have not been trying to detain them over what is probably petty theft doesn’t sit well with me. The old “just because you can doesn’t necessarily mean you should” train.

Maybe there are details we don't know about.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Pushing the clerk/owner to escape turns a simple shoplift into robbery, let alone adding a weapon to the mix. Not saying what he did was smart, but I'll bet he walks, although he'll pay for it.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
Subject resisted, subject was shot. I don't see the problem.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4617 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If precisely what you quoted occurred with a OPD or OCSO officer, and that officer ventilated the suspect twice, I'll lay even odds there would be hell to pay for that officer.

LOL

-------------------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Where does it say the store owner has a duty to retreat in the FL statute? He’s trying to recover or prevent the theft of his property and the perpetrator moves the hatchet to his right hand from his pants wouldn’t that be seen as a threat of bodily harm?

Posts: 2769 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
He’s probably done a lot worse, and the odds caught up to him.

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Where does it say the store owner has a duty to retreat in the FL statute? He’s trying to recover or prevent the theft of his property and the perpetrator moves the hatchet to his right hand from his pants wouldn’t that be seen as a threat of bodily harm?

Yup. Do not see a bad shoot, based on the video.

Q

Posts: 26322 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post