SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida city commissioner shoots, kills alleged shoplifter, surveillance video shows Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
This case is rather interesting. Kind of falls on either side of the line depending on the state. I can understand the shooter's frustration and concerns but he should have been more been more restrained in his actions. I'm not sure how the Florida courts will view this, but I'm guessing he'll have some legal troubles.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/flo...eillance-video-shows

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Unless there's a whole lot more to this story than what was shown in the video, the commissioner is going to jail for a very, very, long time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
That's gonna be a bad shoot if the video represents the situation accurately.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing a hatchet in the decedent's hands as mentioned in the article. I agree unless there's more to the video/story it's a bad shoot.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Yep he thought it was a good idea to kill the fellow instead of let him get away with disobeying an order.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
He's as the Brits would say, "proper fooked"

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He'll find that the cost he'll soon bear far outweighs the lifted surplus hatchet. Frown

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bigdeal:
Unless there's a whole lot more to this story than what was shown in the video, the commissioner is going to jail for a very, very, long time.[/QUOTE

My thoughts as well.

I suppose the "HK" sticker next to the door didn't do much to dissuade the before-he-was-dead guy from committing a crime.

Posts: 3475 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
What is in his right hand around 0:18 - 0:19 into video. You can see something come up in the window. Is that a weapon?

Edit fixed grammar.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In the heat of the moment. Looking at the photo before the shots were fired, he has his finger on the trigger. I have to wonder whether it was an unintentional discharge, however he did fire 2 shots. Looking at it from the perspective of as trainer.

The store owner or manager has the authority under Florida shoplifting law to take the thief into custody.

If the guy uses force to commit a theft before, during, and after the theft in Florida, it is a robbery. (Chapter 812) Robbery is a forcible felony in Florida and Chapter 776 permits deadly force to counter the imminent commission of a forcible felony. If it is determined that he was within the parameters of 776, he cannot be arrested or sued in Florida. The prosecutor may see it as an armed robbery since the decedent had armed himself with a hatchet during the theft. The prosecutor may also see this as an unnecessary use of deadly force, but being in Polk County I doubt it. If he ends up being charged I don't think it will get past an immunity hearing, since the prosecutor must prove that he was not in fear or there was not the imminent commission of a forcible felony to prevail. This will be an interesting case to follow as it is right at the edge of the law.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
What is in his right hand around 0:18 - 0:19 into video. You can see something come up in the window. Is that is that a weapon?

It does look like he has something in his right hand, part of which can be seen through the glass.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
agree - doesn't look good

but the above info is interesting - he was known to be in possession of the hatchet - a deadly weapon - and clearly is resisting apprehension by the shopkeeper

we definitely get into the weeds of the wording of the state statutes which of course may differ greatly from state to state

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
quote:
What is in his right hand around 0:18 - 0:19 into video. You can see something come up in the window. Is that is that a weapon?

It does look like he has something in his right hand, part of which can be seen through the glass.
Good catch Jelly. Slow the video down and that does indeed appear to be a hatchet. I still think the store owner is likely screwed, but his lawyer will have something to build a defensive use of force case on.

HayesGreener makes some excellent points in his post, but I believe the store owner likely went way beyond his authority under Florida law to take the suspect of the crime into custody, even in Polk county. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
HayesGreener has posted much better and more detailed analysis of the event than I can come up with.

My thought was that with current laws in many places the store owner would be at significant legal peril. On the other hand, were the laws such that the store owner (and everyone else) knew his biggest risk was an overly enthusiastic pat on the back, we’d probably have a lot less crime.

It sure feels like the criminal justice pendulum has swung to the point that the criminal has more rights than anyone else. Still, that is the world we live in, and it is on us to weigh our potential actions with their likely consequences in that world.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stick a fork in him.

Hope he has a damn good attorney.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
If I was on a jury and seen the video when the hatchet went from down his pants to his right hand I would not convict the store owner. He could have dropped the hatchet. Hatchet in right hand makes me think he is getting ready to use it.

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Guy was armed with a hatchet in his right hand. The councilman has that going for him. I don’t see all 12 jurors convicting him.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3968 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Tueller drill ...

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I was on a jury and seen the video when the hatchet went from down his pants to his right hand I would not convict the store owner. He could have dropped the hatchet. Hatchet in right hand makes me think he is getting ready to use it.
But the question will be posed, as well it should be, what if the business owner had simply turned loose of the robbery suspect and remained in the store? We all have a pretty good idea what would have occurred. That's going to be a tough nut for the business owner's attorney to crack.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It was only a shoplifted item, he was in no danger of harm from the man running away.

As much as I hate a thief, if he is retreating, let the police handle it.

He shot him with malice in my opinion.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post