SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    alternate browser choices to Google Chrome pls
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

alternate browser choices to Google Chrome pls Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
Hello, I am wondering if there are browsers and search engines NOT tied to google or chrome so that each time I "search" anything it does not flood my FB page with ads and stuff..any suggestions ??

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
What search engine are you going to use? Because they're teaching you also.

quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
Hello, I am wondering if there are browsers and search engines NOT tied to google or chrome so that each time I "search" anything it does not flood my FB page with ads and stuff..any suggestions ??

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
http://duckduckgo.com for search.

Firefox, Safari, or Opera as mainstream browsers. There are others showing up in "best browser" searches like Vivaldi. Never used it though.

Stop using FB. That's probably your issue. FB is like a damn virus on phones and browsers.

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Within the past week Chrome has really been bogging down on my Android.
It's a Galaxy S6, pretty old, so I don't know if it's the phone or the browser. Have dumped cache and cleared browsing history, yet it persists.

Switching over to Dolphin for now.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas, i will try the duck duck, i tried Firefox and the same thing happened, its like they are al l in cohots to sell me stuff LOL

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
You can browse in private mode.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
i tried that comet, but it still creeps in, its weird, its like if i shop for coffee, all sudden 10k coffee ads come up, a little nerving

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I just use an ad blocker and never see any ads. I also delete my cookies every time I close my browser and never sign in to Google when doing searches.

Posts: 3369 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I've heard good things about the brave browser. Brave

Alternatively you could use firefox and install the extensions privacy badger (from EFF) and ublock origins.

Search engine wise, duckduckgo as other members have stated.

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
http://duckduckgo.com for search.

Firefox, Safari, or Opera as mainstream browsers. There are others showing up in "best browser" searches like Vivaldi. Never used it though.

Stop using FB. That's probably your issue. FB is like a damn virus on phones and browsers.

^^^^^^ THIS

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like a problem with FB. I'm using google chrome but don't use FB so I have no problems.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
+1 on Brave.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on Facebook being the culprit.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
Give www.ghostery.com a try some time. It's an add-on for Chrome, or as a stand-alone mobile browser.

Posts: 3804 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Edge and IE of course

Posts: 172 | Registered: August 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From Wiki:
"In 2016, Opera Software AS was sold to a Chinese consortium. The parent company, the similarly named Opera Software ASA, changed its name to Otello Corporation."

hmmmmm.....

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Vivaldi is another new browser. Most are based on the same engine that's in Chrome, but with their own modifications to the gui, how they phone home, etc.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 769 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm using DuckDuckGo for a search engine, Firefox for most web browsing and Vivaldi in private mode for Facebook.

For Firefox and Vivaldi in normal mode I've advert blockers (uBlock Origin) and tracking blockers (Privacy Badger).

I see little-to-no adverts on FB reflective of my other browsing habits.

I use Safari on my mobile devices (iThings), but FB gets nothing there, either, because I use the FB app on those. (Which is relatively safe, because FB doesn't get the free reign on iOS it gets on Android.)

Firefox, on the desktop, at least, has profiles, you know. You can fire-up a separate profile for FB and that way FB can't see you've been with the browser under another profile. That's the theory, at least.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
this,

and I run adblocker on chrome too

quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
Sounds more like a problem with FB. I'm using google chrome but don't use FB so I have no problems.

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas, DuckDuck seems to be doing the trick, i SWEAR i am gonna delete FB when i finally canget web service at my home..smh

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,