SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Motorcycle vacation to Flagstaff, AZ advice wanted
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Motorcycle vacation to Flagstaff, AZ advice wanted Login/Join 
posted
I'm planning to haul my BMW R12GS out to Flagstaff, AZ to take a motorcycle vacation from 2-15 September and I'm looking for suggestions of good roads to ride, restaurants and things to see while I'm out there. I'm looking at day trips of 300+ miles so I'm not afraid to ride some miles. I've already planned a trip to the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Lake Powell and Valley of the Gods but I'm sure there's some hidden gems that only locals or people who have visited there are aware of. Since I'm riding solo I'd like to stick to paved roads as much as possible, also are there any areas I should avoid? I'll be staying on military bases so bringing a firearm isn't an option.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Well, it's 319 road miles from Flagstaff, AZ to Moab, UT so that might be within your range criterion. Moab is near 2 National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands, both of which would be accessible.

Zion NP is about 280 miles from Flagstaff using US-89 (which looks to be an interesting road in Utah). Bryce Canyon NP is about the same distance. US-89 runs through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument to get to both NPs.

It's only 43 miles east to the Meteor Crater--I've not been there, but I'm told it's definitely worth a see.

It's 311 road miles NE to Durango, CO using US-89 (uninteresting superhighway) and US-160 (much more intresting). From Durango you can ride the railroad to Silverton and back, a very nice scenic experience.

Just some suggestions in addition to your existing plans.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Route 66 to Kingman. Be careful when riding thru the Reservation of horses on the roadway.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Well, it's 319 road miles from Flagstaff, AZ to Moab, UT so that might be within your range criterion. Moab is near 2 National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands, both of which would be accessible.

Zion NP is about 280 miles from Flagstaff using US-89 (which looks to be an interesting road in Utah). Bryce Canyon NP is about the same distance. US-89 runs through the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument to get to both NPs.

It's only 43 miles east to the Meteor Crater--I've not been there, but I'm told it's definitely worth a see.

It's 311 road miles NE to Durango, CO using US-89 (uninteresting superhighway) and US-160 (much more intresting). From Durango you can ride the railroad to Silverton and back, a very nice scenic experience.

Just some suggestions in addition to your existing plans.

flashguy

Thanks for the input, just to clarify my ride criteria, I'm willing to ride 300 miles round trip, 300 miles one way is a bit much and would require a overnight stay. I will definitely checkout the meteor crater. I'll be riding Durango next summer as a part of a month long motorcycle vacation.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
Bluff UT, and Hovenweep National Monument. Both are worth seeing if you are near them.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
89a from flag to Sedona is fun, if you do it before the tourists fill the canyon.

Cottonwood to Prescott via 89a is a pretty good trip as well.

Breakfast in Sedona at The Coffee Pot restaurant is highly encouraged. Fantastic breakfast spot.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Observer
Picture of phxtoad
posted Hide Post
From Flag head south and get on 89A through Oak Creek Canyon on the way to stop in Sedona. Then keep taking it south to stop in Cottonwood and Clarkdale. Then keep taking it up Mingus Mountain, and stop in Jerome. Then the road gets fun and take it over the top of Mingus and down into Prescott. From there you can head back the way you came, or loop to the north on 89 via Paulden and Ash Fork to stop in Williams, then back on 40 to Flag. Or from Prescott, take 89 still farther south to Yarnell and on to Wickenburg if you want to drop into the lower desert.

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I'm an AZ native. Which ever route you chose to take, pay attention to the weather reports. AZ monsoon summers can bring torrential rain, lighting strikes and hail. Monsoon extends into September although this year has been drier than the past.

In northern AZ you won't experience the heat, humidity, dust storms or crazy traffic congestion of the valley. Go to far south into the 'valley of the damned' and you'll wish you had a/c on your bike.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Well it's about an hour to Winslow AZ, so go there
stand on a corner and get your picture taken...

Take 40 to 99, looks like a decent road...

Posts: 23383 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I would take a couple bottles (quarts) of water!

It is hot and very dry in that area. If you should have a mechanical you will be glad of the water.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
I'm an AZ native. Which ever route you chose to take, pay attention to the weather reports. AZ monsoon summers can bring torrential rain, lighting strikes and hail. Monsoon extends into September although this year has been drier than the past.

In northern AZ you won't experience the heat, humidity, dust storms or crazy traffic congestion of the valley. Go to far south into the 'valley of the damned' and you'll wish you had a/c on your bike.

Thanks for the tip on the weather, how long do the storms last? I don't mind heavy rain but hail and lightning and motorcycles don't mix well. I don't think I'll be venturing south past Wickenburg.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I would take a couple bottles (quarts) of water!

It is hot and very dry in that area. If you should have a mechanical you will be glad of the water.

Every few hours or so on the bike, down a bottle of Gatorade or another power drink. Sometimes water alone won't replenish the body's lost electrolytes thru excessive heat.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Lived in the neighborhood for quite a few years. Sure you need water, but Flag is right around 7,000’. The weather should be pretty nice in September.

I would head west from Flag on I-40 for <20 miles and exit at Parks. On the N side of the interstate there’s a nice stretch of Route 66 between Parks and Cool Pines Rd. There’s a Forest Service Helibase up the road after it turns N and becomes state hwy 74. Probably want to get back on I-40 right there. Cruise another 15 miles or less into Williams. They play up the Route 66 thing big there. Most weekends during the summer there are car clubs displaying their cars along 66 through town.

Back on the interstate, head west, down off the Coconino Plateau to Ashfork. There’s a stretch of old Route 66 that runs all the way to Kingman, if you’re up to it. Otherwise, a least go as far as Seligman, make the obligatory stop at the Snow Cap Diner. It will be warmer down off the plateau.

I think the best place on the Rez to shop for rugs and jewelry is straight N of Flag in Cameron. That’s up Hwy 189 as I recall. Have a great trip.

Posts: 13233 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out Jerome. Rescued mining era ghost town. Worth the trip.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are feeling adventurous, ride from Jerome, AZ to Williams, AZ via the Perkinsville Road. Dirt and Gravel the whole way, but beautiful and remote scenery abounds.

Ride out to Kingman, but when westbound on IH-40, take the Crookton Road exit. This is the original Route 66 cutoff into Seligman, AZ. Take the old Route 66 all the way into Kingman, AZ. It is a beautiful trip.

In Seligman, AZ - the hands down best place to eat is Westside Lilo's Cafe. I've had many meals here and always left happy.

While in Flagstaff, eat at The Lumberyard. Right in downtown near the old Amtrak passenger station. You will likely see a few BNSF freight trains roll by during your lunch or dinner. They have a really good green chile burger.

Flagstaff has turned into a hippy uber-liberal college town. Be prepared for heavy vehicle traffic due to student rush hour, and all those annoying college kids buzzing around like mosquito's at a family BBQ.

Posts: 489 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I can't add much to what's already been suggested but have a good time! I'd take some warm clothing because it may be cool around Flagstaff, north rim, etc, in the morning and evenings.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Well it's about an hour to Winslow AZ, so go there
stand on a corner and get your picture taken...

Take 40 to 99, looks like a decent road...

Do not stand next to the statues on the corner, the natives use them as an outdoor urinal and vomitorium at night. Do however go to La Posada and have a meal. Restored hotel built by the railroad to bring tourists to the Grand Canyon. The restaraunt is great with things like elk and buffalo on the menu. Also check out The Rootbeer stand in Winslow. Dives little drive in but they have homemade root beer that rocks!

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Check out Jerome. Rescued mining era ghost town. Worth the trip.

A good side trip. They have the mine's equipment set up in working order, so you can see how the crushers, etc. worked.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:
From Flag head south and get on 89A through Oak Creek Canyon on the way to stop in Sedona. Then keep taking it south to stop in Cottonwood and Clarkdale. Then keep taking it up Mingus Mountain, and stop in Jerome. Then the road gets fun and take it over the top of Mingus and down into Prescott. From there you can head back the way you came, or loop to the north on 89 via Paulden and Ash Fork to stop in Williams, then back on 40 to Flag. Or from Prescott, take 89 still farther south to Yarnell and on to Wickenburg if you want to drop into the lower desert.

Ha! I was going to recommend this EXACT trip. Took it many times on my 2006 R6. Nothing beats Jerome. Love that place. The Mingus mountain is such a cool ride.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the great tips. I'll be launching out from PA Friday night 30 August and arriving in Flagstaff four days later. Looking forward to get some good riding in and take advantage of the time I have since I'm 2+ years into my retirement.