SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First time coaching six year old soccer advice?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time coaching six year old soccer advice? Login/Join 
Picture of GarandGuy
posted
So I'm coaching my six year old sons soccer team. I've never coached before. I played soccer growing up so I'm familiar with the sport.

Any advice or input from any experienced coaches would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------
What's the sense in working hard if you never get to play?

Posts: 1074 | Location: On the outskirts of Richmond | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
It's like herding cats! Focus on the basics and don't expect too much. Most have the attention span of a gnat. Keep it fun!

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3625 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same for mine when they were younger. Keep it simple. The biggest thing I tried to get across to them was not to bunch up around the ball but good luck. All in all, it is a lot of fun to do and watch. Just have a good time with them.

Posts: 6864 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Your biggest headache will be the parents, not the kids.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
Random thoughts:

No matter what you do, a few parents will think you did it wrong.

Coaching that age is 99% encouragement and 1% instruction.

If you have enough kids, rotate them in frequently and change positions.

No matter what you do, a few parents will think you did it wrong.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

This X a lot!

You can teach them all about playing positions but when it's time to play you will have one group of kids wearing 2 different jerseys chasing the ball around.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3847 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Patience grasshopper, patience.

Good Luck,

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20317 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great big game of grab ass at that age.
Best advice is to be super organized in communication with the parents.
Schedules, practices, pictures etc. A social media group just for your team is not a bad idea - a virtual billboard if you will.
Kids are easy - the mamas are the hard part.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Cobra21
posted Hide Post
I coach varsity baseball in Texas (in the Fall when real coaches are barred by UIL rules from doing so). As a hobby, I have been coaching one sport or another (including 6 yo soccer) since my son's were little (now in their mid twenties).

I can tell you that it is very rewarding, but I have made tons of mistakes and learned lots of lessons along the way. Hopefully, I helped a few kids develop skills and enjoy t he sport too.

One thing I can tell you about 6 yo soccer is let them have fun by playing "skills" games at their one practice a week. Lots of simple, fun vids on Youtube. The other thing is TRY to teach them ANGLES. 6 yo soccer is still herd mentality, ie everyone runs to the ball because all of the parents and coaches are screaming "Go get the ball!"

Really if you're positioned between the ball and your goal, little Billy/Sally opponent will come to you. When they do, you can just take the ball. Oh, and that's another thing. This is one of the first times that they have to reconcile this horrible concept; "What? No sharing? Take the ball? You just spent my whole life of six years telling me to play nice and share!"

They're six. Give them 2 or 3 concepts for the whole season; ANGLES (move between the ball and where the ball is going then take it away), ATTACK (everyone, but one on their goal), DEFEND (everyone, but one defend our goal).

Risk the consequences of honesty...

Posts: 4498 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Excellent advice by everyone who's already commented. Just make sure you have some of this at the ready, just in case, for after practice. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I've never coached soccer but I've coached hockey from Mite - Collegiate for 18 years. I'll offer you the following:

Coaching the little kids will test your patience, challenge your sanity, and warm your heart.

Little kids have short attention spans, so keep it short

Kids have a lot of energy, keep them moving

Kids tend to zone out with drills, but they love little games. Make every drill that you can into some sort of game for them.

Throw in some sort of fun reward at the end of practice if they're good and pay attention. What ever it is it should be designed to keep them moving and learning without thinking about it.

The parents will really test your sanity and patience. I highly advise you to set ground rules and expectations early and stick to them, regardless. Understand going in that no parent will volunteer to coach but every one of them is an expert in how to coach. Every coach contemplates quitting at least once about 1/2 way through the first season.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37949 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
This guy is an excellent source of after action report counseling:

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I did this for 3 years and my wife for 15 years. Practices are work and games are fun. Plan your practices, if the kids are spending more than a minute listening to you talk you are screwing up. Give instruction during water brakes. It's a game of keep away and passing to your team is how you win. And no, none of your kids are paying for collage with this activity.

Posts: 1088 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Keep it fun. These are six year olds with a six year old's attention span.

For practices make it a "game" not a "drill". Offer encouragement, you want to build interest in the game at this stage not an Olympic team.

If it is "hard", or not fun, many will not return for 7-year old soccer. Lots of time to build strategy and skills, this is an introduction to the concept.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10924 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
20 yr soccer coach here.

At this age as others have said, short talks and lots of little games.

I found that here in the US we try to fit too much into a practice session. Pick one topic or skill and teach it all practice long from warm up, to drills and the games.

If a Kid remembers just one thing from each practice, you have done a good job.

Good on you for doing this and good luck Smile

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3472 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonEuc
posted Hide Post
Long time youth soccer coach here. I love it.

Go here, download, and read:
http://www.mayouthsoccer.org/coaches/u6/

That website has really good resources, at each age level.

Keep it fun, and keep them playing. Don't worry about too many drills. If you do drills, they need to be drop dead simple at that age group. If it takes > about 5-10 seconds to describe, it's too complicated and they'll zone out.

Consider taking the US National F License course (online only, takes maybe two hours). I found the part on "transitions" between activities to be good.
https://dcc.ussoccer.com/cours...ble/1/all/details/1/

Talk to the parents before the season begins about what your expectations are for the players and more so for the parents. Parents should really only say two things in the car ride home from games (especially at that age group!):

1) I love watching you play.
2) Did you have fun?

Good luck!

Posts: 1306 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great advice already given (imho as a long time rec. and travel coach)!

Keep it fun!

Keep them moving / everybody busy / not waiting in line to do 'something'.

Rotate positions.

Try not to go along with the 'everyone wins' bullshit after a game or scrimmage. We as humans are competitive, and even 6 year old's want to know if they won or lost.

Even if the league states that there is no 'keeping score' policy at U7 rec., fuck that. Let them know if they won or lost, and focus on skills they need to improve to win.

The 'everyone gets a participation medal for showing up' thought process is horse shit.

Oh, and don't forget to have a parent helper arrange a schedule for who is bringing 'snacks' and juice after a game. The kids LOVE that!!

Regarding parents -

Set the expectation early for them, that they should cheer positively and enthusiastically from the sideline.

Let them know that coaching or otherwise yelling at their child from the sideline will NOT be tolerated.

They should also refrain from delivering negative criticism to their player for at least 24 hrs. or more following a game or practice.

I have seen skilled players with great motivation, potential and 'killer' attitude, be turned off to the sport because of a parent(s) that's an asshole.

Have fun!!

Rob

Posts: 3474 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Coached for years in your area. Had a great time.

Biggest challenge is designing 'age appropriate' training. Soccer to six year olds is not the same as soccer to you and me.

You have to keep it fun and give them developmental goals appropriate for their age. Do NOT let Mom and Dad get frustrated.

It was a sincere joy watching kids I coached when they were 8-14 go on to play in High School and a couple in College.

Even when they would see me years later they'd still call me 'Coach'.

There is a chance to teach them a lot outside the game of soccer. Big Grin Hard work, perseverance, team work, physical fitness, self-improvement, how to be a gracious winner and not a 'sore loser', etc.

------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:

Yes, the parents should be banned from all sports of children less than 18 years old. Big Grin

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post