SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Viofro a119s dash cam owners, please step in...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Viofro a119s dash cam owners, please step in... Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted
I purchased one of these very highly rated cameras as I do a lot of driving. The Chinese to English directions suck on a very comprehensive the first question I have is does the camera go to screensaver mode and continue to record and apparently The screen saver to off.

The second issue I'm having is to try to shut the time to East Coast time which is four hours difference from GMT time however it never reflect my actual time. Which means if I ever needed The recording for any evidence the recorded time would be an accurate.
So I would like somebody to confirm even though the screen goes black that it is still in fact recording and any advice how to set the time properly.
Thank you in advance

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
I purchased one of these very highly rated cameras as I do a lot of driving. The Chinese to English directions suck on a very comprehensive the first question I have is does the camera go to screensaver mode and continue to record and apparently The screen saver to off.

The second issue I'm having is to try to shut the time to East Coast time which is four hours difference from GMT time however it never reflect my actual time. Which means if I ever needed The recording for any evidence the recorded time would be an accurate.
So I would like somebody to confirm even though the screen goes black that it is still in fact recording and any advice how to set the time properly.
Thank you in advance

On my 119, the unit continues to record when the screen goes to black. To confirm, simply pull the card at home and verify that the card has video. Setting the time has always been a bitch for me. I can set it to Pacific time, but it soon loses two hours, i.e. I can set it to 10AM, and within a day or two it says 8AM Mad

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I'll check the card tomorrow a.m
The manual is terrible and there is NO customer service. Also should be an option to turn screensaver "off"
Thanks for the info, the time/clock is just Chinese stupid...

Posts: 8347 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a time issue with my A119 (1 version prior to A119S), but I have the GPS adapter, and I think it pulls time from that. You can get one for around $20.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I have tha gps adaptor but not the gps module.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
I haven't had a time issue with my A119 (1 version prior to A119S), but I have the GPS adapter, and I think it pulls time from that. You can get one for around $20.

This is what I have. Coordinating the time to GMT is necessary to get things right, factor in daylight savings or not when setting up. Probably a good idea to get a polarizing filter, check eBay. Convert and save any worthwhile vids in good HD, makes a big difference in quality. The camera can produce nice vids.

Decent enough dashcam forum with dedicated Viofo section - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/categories/viofo.100/

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:

This is what I have. Coordinating the time to GMT is necessary to get things right, factor in daylight savings or not when setting up. Probably a good idea to get a polarizing filter, check eBay. Convert and save any worthwhile vids in good HD, makes a big difference in quality. The camera can produce nice vids.

Decent enough dashcam forum with dedicated Viofo section - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/categories/viofo.100/

The gmail is what's screwing me up I live eastern time so I entered +4 hrs. , still wrong....

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
downtownv, once you get the settings squared away, here's an idea you can choose to use or not. The Viofo has a button to let you capture a worthwhile event. It marks back several seconds and saves that point in a different file you'll find on the SD card.

Using a standard hole punch, I cut a dot from some skateboard tape, sticky backed coarse sandpaper essentially. I don't have to look at the Viofo, I can quickly feel the right button if I need it.

Posts: 8336 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley:
downtownv, once you get the settings squared away, here's an idea you can choose to use or not. The Viofo has a button to let you capture a worthwhile event. It marks back several seconds and saves that point in a different file you'll find on the SD card.

Using a standard hole punch, I cut a dot from some skateboard tape, sticky backed coarse sandpaper essentially. I don't have to look at the Viofo, I can quickly feel the right button if I need it.

Thanks ripley!
Where is this button located?
I got everything squared way except the actual time of day, fooled around with the gmt setting still off by an hour (ahead) ugh.

Btw the link help a lot!

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where is this button located?
I got everything squared way except the actual time of day, fooled around with the gmt setting still off by an hour (ahead) ugh.

Btw the link help a lot!

I think the A119 and the A119S are the same with different sensors. The button I mention is at the bottom of the face, center. There are other buttons around it, easy to hit the wrong one.

FWIW I had trouble getting my clock set right too. It should be simple, don't know what the problem was but I finally got it done. The GPS needs it to get things right.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You can turn the screen saver off. I don't remember off hand which menu option it is though.

Posts: 10931 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thank you in advance

I have 2 a119's.

The screen does go to screensaver after booting up and you can tell its still recording as the bottom left button will glow red. Like others have said you can check the recordings on your memory card which is something I do every now and then just to be safe.

As to the time on the recording, first you have to set your time based upon GMT. For example in St. Louis MO we are GMT -5 hours. Then once you have that set go ahead and set the time/date as well. Now both your display and the time on your recordings should match.

Posts: 3720 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post