SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Here's something that you don't see everyday (nautical)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here's something that you don't see everyday (nautical) Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted
http://gcaptain.com/us-navys-d...8a&mc_eid=94bc1ac706

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Holy shit. That's quite a sight.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that is the definition of "Boat" and a "ship"

john

Posts: 476 | Location: Greensboro, NC | Registered: November 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Never seen anything like that before.

That is impressive!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
anyone know what this says?

@Syke_Minadzuki
DDG-56「ジョン・S・マケイン」を積載した重量物運搬船TREASURE、予定より大幅に遅れて本日到着。

錨泊地にはDDG-62「フィッツジェラルド」を積載し米国へ向け出航待機していたTRANSSHELFの姿が。

損傷したDDGを積んだ同じ会社の重量物運搬船が同一地点で顔を合わせるという前代未聞に事態に。

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

@Syke_Minadzuki

"You should really be embarrassed."

Big Grin

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Wow! That's really something! I hope they don't hit rough seas on the way home!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My Navy son said that if it's surface it's a ship and if goes under water on purpose it's a boat. That's a Navy Nuke Petty Officer telling Dad. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Anchor:
My Navy son said that if it's surface it's a ship and if goes under on purpose it's a boat. That's a Navy Nuke Petty Officer telling Dad. Chris
A couple years ago we were touring the Wisconsin. As we were heading to gangplank my girlfriend turned to my daughter and said "This is a really big boat." Well there happened to be a retired sailor walking just ahead of us and he turned and sternly said "This is a ship. Do you know what's the difference between a boat and a ship? You can put a boat in a ship but you can't put a ship in a boat." He started to crack a smile when he saw the "Oh shit" look on her face. LOL

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

DDG-56 "JON.S.MCCAIN" o sekisai shita juuryou butsu unpan fune TREASURE, yotei yori oohaba ni okurete Nihon touchaku.

Ikai Jinoshima Tomari ni wa DDG-62 "Fitzgerald" o sekisai shi Beikoku e muke shuukou taiki shite ita TRANSSHELF no sugata ga.

Sonshou shita DDG o sekin da onaji kaisha no shuuryou butsu unpan fune ga dou-chiten de kao o gowaseru to iu zendaimimon ni jidai ni.

Heavy goods carrier TREASURE, loaded with DDG-56 "John S. McCain", arrived today significantly behind schedule.

In the anchorage area, it appeared to rendezvous with the TRANSSHELF, loaded with DDG-62 "Fitzgerald", which was waiting for departure to the US.

It is unprecedented for heavy goods carriers of the same company, loaded with damaged DDG (guided missile destroyers), to appear at the same point.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
What does a "heavy goods carrier" normally carry besides these destroyers or other smaller ships? Oil rig equipment? I'm just wondering what other types of outsize cargo would they be designed to carry.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:
What does a "heavy goods carrier" normally carry besides these destroyers or other smaller ships? Oil rig equipment? I'm just wondering what other types of outsize cargo would they be designed to carry.

Pretty much anything it wants to Razz

But seriously, they transport everything from oil rigs to wind generators.
There is a big business in transporting private yachts between the US and the Med. they will load up a bunch at once.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

There is a big business in transporting private yachts between the US and the Med. they will load up a bunch at once.

Yeah, I can see that being the case. I didn't think of that, but it makes a lot of sense. Transporting a bunch of yachts to the Med, the Caribbean, Middle East, etc.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
A time lapse video of them loading the ships would be really cool.

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Wow. There's no hype in your thread title.

I thought I'd already seen some impressive nautical sights: the USS Enterprise from top to bottom in dry dock and many submarines from top to bottom in dry dock.

But seeing them destroyers being carried piggy back on ships across open sea, that really is a sight.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that would be a fearsome sight to the enemy to see them attacking headlong at you like that.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoseyWales2:

Most of Dockwise ships were origionally built for BP to build 1 deepwater oil rig. They were then sold by BP to dockwise. Dockwise Yacht Transport uses most of them for shipping yachts all over the world. I have loaded and unloaded well over a 100 yachts on their various ships over the years. Basically the transom of the ship goes down on most of them, the ship takes on ballast and sinks 7-12' depending on the depth of the yachts, divers then weld cradles underneath each yacht, ship pumps out ballast water and refloats and yachts are high and dry sitting on cradles, and then strapped. Think of the rear of the ship like a pickup truck bed.......Shipping yachts is a huge business and I have personally loaded/unloaded close to 1000 yachts from freighters for companies such as Dockwise, Sevenstar, United, etc. It's not just the med. South Florida to Med is one of the major routes. The other major route is South Florida-Costa Rica-Mexico-Victoria-Vancouver-Japan. But I have loaded yachts that have gone all over (aside from those places) Guam, Vietnam, China, Dubai, and on and on. If a yacht is shipped from Med to say Victoria, it goes on 2 different ships, so I'll unload it from the one ship, take it to a marina, then load it on the 2nd ship when it comes in......usually 40-70 yachts go on a ship and the ship is usually packed to the brim with the yachts 1' apart. If anyone wants pics, let me know. Dockwise, most of their ships ONLY carry yachts. The other shipping companies such as Sevenstar and United, use traditional freighters and they carry raw material in the hold (steel, grain, etc.) and the yachts on the deck. This is one of the things I specialize in.

http://www.yacht-transport.com/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post