SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    350,000 job openings
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

350,000 job openings Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Hundreds of thousands of service workers are planning an anti-Trump labor strike for May 1, BuzzFeed reported Saturday.

Nearly 350,000 workers plan to strike President Trump’s agenda on International Workers’ Day on May 1.

More than 300,000 food chain workers and 40,000 unionized service workers will walk off the job that day, according to a coalition of groups leading the strike.

Multiple thousands of employees from the Service Employees International Union and United Service Workers West, led by David Huerta, will strike.

“We understand that there’s risk involved in that,” Huerta told BuzzFeed News, “but we’re willing to take that risk in order to be able to move forward in this moment, while the most marginalized are in the crosshairs of this administration.”

A statement announcing the strike says that participants will be rejecting Trump’s policies on immigration and what they say is his “agenda of hate and greed.”

“We need to show this Administration, Congress and large corporate interests that our human and economic worth is more powerful than their agenda of hate and greed,” the statement reads. “Opposing Trump is not enough. We must stop him.”

The last time there was a major strike of this magnitude was when the first Day Without Immigrants took place in 2006.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-g...-trump-labor-strike/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yawn...

They can do this crap because they work at fast food restaurants. It's not like any of them have real careers.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
They have scheduled this "walkout" far enough in advance that workers can take the day as a vacation day, and not be fired.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a vacation day to protest?

No balls.

Posts: 7011 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
Yawn...

They can do this crap because they work at fast food restaurants. It's not like any of them have real careers.

^^^^ This..... BFD

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It they didn't publicize these events in advance- no one would notice.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olfuzzy:
The last time there was a major strike of this magnitude was when the first Day Without Immigrants took place in 2006.

What...2006 ? where was I - to not remember such an important moment in US history.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Key question is, Will they be missed?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
It'll probably cause me to lose weight.

Good for them.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
International Workers Day. Hmmm. That sounds communist.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
International Workers Day. Hmmm. That sounds communist.

RMD

That's because it is.

Posts: 8144 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
They'd probably still walk out if they were making $15/hr.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I honestly have no idea what this is all about. A strike? About President Trump's agenda?

Roll Eyes Stupid lemmings

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nighthawk
posted Hide Post
I'm buying stock in the burger making robot company, think it's going to have a high demand in a short time.

"Hold my beer.....Watch this".

Posts: 5933 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Those jackwads don't know their history do they? How did it go for the air traffic control workers under President Reagan. 11,000 fired.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I honestly have no idea what this is all about. A strike? About President Trump's agenda?

Roll Eyes Stupid lemmings

Multiple thousands of employees from the Service Employees International Union and United Service Workers West, led by David Huerta, will strike.

From Wikipedia.......

David Huerta, born in Mexico City in 1949, is a Mexican poet and the son of well-known poet Efraín Huerta.

Born: October 8, 1949 (age 67 years), Mexico City, Mexico

Nationality: Mexican

_______________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 95 | Location: Southeast Michigan -- Downriver | Registered: May 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
So we can slow down on the deportations. We will need them to take the vacated jobs.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Those jackwads don't know their history do they? How did it go for the air traffic control workers under President Reagan. 11,000 fired.

Reagan used that opportunity to make one point to two entities, the unions, and the Soviets.
Trump is also in a position where he needs to show the Russians that he will do what he says.
I don't think Trump can fire any of these service workers unless they are employed by the federal government or their jobs are critical to public safety.
I don't know much about it, however I believe there was a general national labor strike in the thirties. A handful of dead, lots of unrest, hatred. It was in fact orchestrated by communists.

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paragon:
So we can slow down on the deportations. We will need them to take the vacated jobs.

Nah, speed up the deportations. Let these angst-ridden union folks go too.

It is not that hard to teach a robot to say "You want fries with that."

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Not that it bothers me, but it seems to cover more than just burger flippers.

Service Employees International Union

https://www.opensecrets.org/or...ry.php?id=d000000077

United Service Workers West

http://www.seiu-usww.org/category/about-us/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post