SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you finish what you start (or plan) or just talk about it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you finish what you start (or plan) or just talk about it? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
It varies.

A "work project" like repairing a piece of equipment, remodeling some part of the house or building something in the shop tends to be in the "work on it until it's done" class.

Some hobby projects get delayed for various reasons. Lack of materials, lack of time, temporary loss of interest, a sticking point that I need to walk away from for a while. I had a brass toy project wind up on the back burner for more than a year because I got so frustrated with it.

Some taper off because the learning curve is too steep or it becomes too much like work. Just not enjoying it. Computers and Arduino projects are prime examples. I keep the stuff around in case interest is rekindled and what the hell, it's all paid for anyway.

And finally, some are seasonal. I'm just now getting back to my farm diorama after taking the Summer off for other pursuits. I have trouble filling my time in the Winter, not being into sports in general and Winter sports in particular. I try to "make it last" and stretch things out with frequent breaks.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was going to join the Procrastinators Club, but just never got around completing the application process.

Turns out I've been accepted by them anyway.

Somethings fishy about that.

I'll think about it lat

Posts: 11836 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I worked delivering snacks for a career. I had to service a number of bars. When I was in those stops there were usually the same people in there always talking about what they're GOING to do one of these days. All talk . Just drinking beer and talking about the great things they will never accomplish. What a waste of a life.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kramden:
I worked delivering snacks for a career. I had to service a number of bars. When I was in those stops there were usually the same people in there always talking about what they're GOING to do one of these days. All talk . Just drinking beer and talking about the great things they will never accomplish. What a waste of a life.
Same people. I rarely ever start a project before finishing the first. Once you have too much started it can overwhelm and you end up doing nothing. It's too mentally draining for me to have a bunch of stuff up in the air. I just have to get it done. I feel the same way when I go into someones home that has a ton of stuff everywhere.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
My wife was a career 'administrative assistant' in the tech corporate world. She prided herself on being able to multi-task. She was frequently gigged for having so much on her desk, but not finishing one assignment before taking on another.

Now she works on her hobby for hours a day. Same issue, starts but doesn't finish one project before starting three more.

I plan and organize what I want to accomplish. I take my time doing the project so it's done to my satisfaction. I get one project done before I take on another. I can do one thing at a time really well, but not half a dozen things without something getting done half ass.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I do not start quickly. Particularly if I am being pushed. But when I do I own that shit. Wife wanted to hang new window treatments on six window. When I got around to it I had a new Dewalt cordless driver, $60.00 tool belt, Full box of the shortest drywall screws you ever saw (but only needed 12), brand new drop cloth.

When will she learn?

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I get everything done eventually. In reality it's triage or late night cramming before finals. I prioritize stuff, highest or time dependant always gets done, less important or time sensitive gets procrastinated on.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20804 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
If I start it, I will finish it.

But sometimes getting me to start it can be a challenge....

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Agreed, If I start it I finish it but I have lots of ideas I never start. That makes me mad.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why did you make this post political with the Biden bit? Curious.

What is finished? I run two orphanages in Kenya and Uganda which will never be finished, how does that fit into this?

Posts: 634 | Registered: March 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I finish them, but most often not before the interrupted by other projects, emergencies, opportunities that pop up, etc. it may be that I have what a friend described in himself as “adult onset ADD”. Sigh...

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Most of my projects get finished, but depends on what gets in the way. As slosig said "I finish them, but most often not before the interrupted by other projects, emergencies, opportunities that pop up, etc." This is me to a "T"! Right now that fall is here, we are in the woods at our hunting shack preparing for deer season in 1.5 months. Just had power run in to it, so we are now in the process of trenching our shack and out buildings for power. No more generators and propane. Plus we have Wifi now too, lol!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Depends... The reality is, most of my projects, at least at work, do not have an end, so they get "tinkered" on, as I have time...

Unfortunately, that has creeped into projects in my personal life, to an extent.

Posts: 5723 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
It may take me a while to get started on a project, but once I start, my wife says that it's like I'm obsessed.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have multiple projects going on all the time.

Wifes projects get some priority most of the time. I often have other smaller projects going on as time permits. Some happen as weather permits.

I am a small contractor, so those have some priority as well. My fees are low so these projects go at my pace.

Then there are the personal projects. These fit in somewhere. One finished today was the removal of a stump. There was a small tree potentially growing in our septic field. It was cut down years ago, the stump was buried and did not re-sprout. Theory was after rotting it would come out without damage to anything else below ground. Today, some 10+ years later, it was dug up and removed. It worked out as planned. Check that one off.
Another of “my” projects - 20’ Chriscraft mahogany runabout. Built to a style of one from 1939. Started in 2001. Currently on a trailer in my barn (built that too). Finished except for some very basic wiring. The boat, Ellie, has never been in the water. At this stage the finish needs renewed. Not on the current list. It is somewhere behind the current work on several motorcycles.
The wife’s list is a hardwood floor in one of the bedrooms. This starts in a matter of days.

My barn is full of projects, waiting for me to get to them. I am now at a stage of thinning the list, as I will not live long enough to get to them all.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I used to put off National Procrastination Week.

I've gotten better over the years, with my wife's help.

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The older I get, the harder it is to finish my-our own projects. My job as a plumber comes first, my customers know this and it really has been good for me.

Our home projects, and rental projects come second and as I get older, the energy level is falling. At the end of my regular workday, I am pretty much spent. So guess what my weekends consist of, more work Mad
Bought a boat this year and haven't used it much, as rentals come first on the weekends.
Our hope is that this year is the work year and then the play year next summer according to my wife---yep. Will believe it when I experience it next year Razz

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Professionally? No. I’m a Construction estimator. It’s my job to give somebody else a project to finish.

At home? Yes, to some jobs may take a while, but not longer than a year.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I'll come back to this topic later.

We must share a common ancester.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgode:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Anytime I start anything, I always fi

I see what you did th

Ha ! excellente.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8655 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post