SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you finish what you start (or plan) or just talk about it?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you finish what you start (or plan) or just talk about it? Login/Join 
Picture of az4783054
posted
Are you a 'talker' or a 'doer'?

I know to many people who talk about completing projects for years but never complete them. They've got unfinished projects cluttering up space. The projects won't finish themselves and they're not getting any younger.

Finish your projects...or in biden's case, finish your thoughts. Wink

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
For major projects, definitely a doer. My wife and I are really good at that.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I recognize I've got too many unfinished projects in the works. I've got multiple "hobby" interests, and sometimes that leads to the lack of completion. Sometimes other things get in the way -- unexpected expenses, a job change, changes of interest.

Having recognized this, I'm making a conscious effort to not take on any new projects before some existing ones get finished.

It happens... I don't get to uptight about it. Winter will be a good time for some de-cluttering.

God bless America.

Posts: 13497 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm a doer, though also a planner, so there's usually a lengthy research/planning stage leading up to the actual start of the project.

But once started, the project gets completed.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I finish 'em all. Eventually Wink

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Once I start it’s getting done. My wife is even more driven than me.

Her brother and wife are the opposite. The stop everything they start and then start and stop the next thing never getting anything done while having multiple projects “in the works” most of them for years. It drives my wife nuts just by visiting them and seeing it.

Posts: 3919 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I finish them. I'm sure if I racked my pea brain, I could recall some deal I gave up on but none jumps out at me. I have however taken some short cuts towards the end of a project if I've lost interest. That's not very often. Since retiring, my wife and I have teamed up on several home improvement projects, and she approaches them the same way I do. "getter done"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I take the Lincoln approach: "Give me six hours to chop down a tree, and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."

Accordingly, I might have a bunch of projects that are in the planning phase--parts and tools accumulating, research done and redone--but once the project starts, it continues until completion. I cannot stand to have anything below 100% operating capacity, including work spaces that might be taken up by incomplete projects, so I work diligently to minimize downtime.

The downside to this is that I will not dive into a project until I am reasonably sure I can work continuously on the project until it's completion. So, things get out off that might have already been done if I just spent a couple of hours each weekend working on it.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll come back to this topic later.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107577 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’m sometimes slow to start. Working night shift and lots of overtime kills most of the extra “project” time. I put a leveling kit on the Jeep two weeks ago that had been waiting for most of a year, for example.

I’ve got a few hobbies that would open up greatly if my schedule changed. We’ll see...

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Anytime I start anything, I always fi

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doer / planner. When I wake up, I lie in bed for a short time planning out the entire day.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Depends on my motivation. My wife and I complement each other. Between the two of us, we get the job done.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm a serial procrastinator. I'll have a need to start a project and put it off and put it off again and again. When I finally get going on it I will keep going till it's done. Thank goodness I didn't work this way on the job before I retired.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely a doer/finisher, after many a night contemplating, planning, revising...

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get'er done!!

Posts: 6617 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Sometimes I think I like planning it better than doing it. I'll plan, revise, let the plan percolate and review with fresh eyes in a few days, revise again, etc. However, once I start physically doing the project I'll work hour after hour on it.

With all of the restrictions/shutdowns for this year I've completed so many projects. For example, when I moved here in 2016 I blew out my 10-days after moving in so I definitely was not yet unpacked plus had ordered stuff for projects. I've made it a point to either complete the project or sell the supplies on eBay.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you finish what you start (or plan) or just talk about it?

Hmmm yes or no !!
Priority of current affairs always proceed accomplished projects !

Posts: 4410 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Yes. My job and ethics require it

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Anytime I start anything, I always fi

I see what you did th

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post