SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First Time Phesant Hunting in GA
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Time Phesant Hunting in GA Login/Join 
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted
So I am going to Sea Island for Thanksgiving and the hotel offers a pheasant hunt. I signed up, but there is a kicker. I have never hunted anything. I have shot years of ATA Trap, I'm a good shot at sporting clays, skeet is average I guess. Guns and ammo are included. They talked about shooting from a blind? Any idea what kid of setup they might use.

I don't really fuss about anything, give me bang stick and I'll have fun.

Any tips I should know? Any must haves. I was going in khakis, light boots and a light jacket I guess. I'm winging it here (shitty pun intended)

Thanks

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
They do a continental pheasant shoot. That involves releasing birds, usually from a tower, and there is a ring of blinds 100 yards or so out from the tower. The blinds are usually hay bales at various clock positions. Anybody's guess which direction each bird will go. Every so many birds the shooters will rotate blinds so that everyone gets a chance to shoot from multiple positions on the clock. Usually retrievers are on hand to pick up the pheasants. The birds will usually be pretty high by the time they get to the outer ring. Think skeet station 1, 4, and 7. Comfortable casual clothes and boots. I would wear a wide brimmed hat, hunter orange. I would bring a camp chair so you are not standing the whole time and water to drink. A few dog biscuits in your pocket for the retrievers (with the handler's permission) is a nice touch.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
They do a continental pheasant shoot.

Is that what is called a canned hunt?
To me on the same level as bull fighting

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
That's a skeet shoot with live targets!

We do it a bit differently out here! Involves a lot of walking and wild birds!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I was going to give my experience of hunting pheasants in South Dakota, but based on what Hayes says, I think my experiences were quite a bit different.

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Just curious but how much does one of those hunts cost?

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1864 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There are all types of 'hunts'. Walking for wild pheasants in GA would be fruitless. No matter the cost it's cheaper than driving to SD.

I just returned from a grouse hunt in Upper MI, bird numbers were low, lots of walking, we got a few.

I'd have no qualms against a 'released bird' hunt if that's what was set up. Try it out, shoot safely.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
If you hunt ring necks just about anywhere and you paid, you can bet you are hunting some wild birds and a bunch of pen raised birds. That's just the way it is these days.

A tower or driven shoot is a hoot, so who cares where the birds came from.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
You will have a blast if you like pass shooting. Don't use too much of a choke. I'd go Improved cyl at most. I find too many folks use TOO MUCH choke in their shotguns. Have fun!!

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:

Any tips I should know? Any must haves. I was going in khakis, light boots and a light jacket I guess. I'm winging it here (shitty pun intended)

Thanks

Check weather forcasts for clothing choices.

Shoot your 'lil heart out.

Enjoy Pheasant dinner!

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I was going to give my experience of hunting pheasants in South Dakota, but based on what Hayes says, I think my experiences were quite a bit different.

I just got back from a week of hunting wild birds in SD. Continental shoots are an entirely different game but fun just the same

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No advice here, but please take some pics, I've been to Sea Island before and shot with them, the guns will be top notch and the instruction was solid. Go to the Lodge one night and watch the bagpiper .....

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Continental shoots are ablot of pass shooting. Fun stuff not extremely unlike dove hunting. You'll have a blast.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
To me on the same level as bull fighting

Well that's simply wrong.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I prefer 5 chill lead shot when hunting pheasant. If you are shooting fairly close, you may want to go even smaller so as not to chew up the birds so much. If you can’t use lead, then I believe the conversion is 1-2 sizes larger for steel to have the equivalent energy. Remember that lead and steel also use chokes differently. When hunting with lead, I usually use a modified choke. With steel, I would open the choke to improved cylinder.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
I guess tastes differ, and to be honest I don't hunt. But I'm with 45 Cal on this - I wouldn't go fishing at a place where they kept fish in a barrel, and this sounds like more like shopping with a shotgun. Note that they don't actually call this activity hunting, it's a 'pheasant shoot'.

They have a lot of other shooting activities

For instance, they have a half-day quail hunt where it sounds like some actual hunting would be involved.

Posts: 15022 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
45cal and Joel 9507, there are places in this world where there are hunts with wild birds that are exactly the same as these tower shoots. It's similar to a deer drive. There's pushers and shooters. Just in this case there's someone tossing the bird from a tower.

I've never done one. But, I don't see any reason to shame someone for enjoying it. It's a shoot, and you get to take some game home.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Yes, this seems like a fish in a barrel situation but I am ok with that as it is my first "hunt" despite the lack of hunting.

Ill be sure to take photos and report back when I can, thanks for the help
Tim

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5131 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Have fun!

I haven't shot a sporting clay that was hauling ass as fast as the pheasants I've missed.
If you don't connect, double your lead...miss again, double it again.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to ask about good boots. I want to find good waterproof variant, can you help me? I read some reviews and top picks, and I found such boots Lowa Men’s Tibet GTX Trekking Boot( here it is), is it good variant? How much it heavy and thick?

Posts: 11 | Registered: November 09, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post