SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    older single wide mobile living
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

older single wide mobile living Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
This thread is not about bashing anyone who lives in one or the type of people that might be sterotyped as someone who lives in one.

I do not or have not but wonder if I might. I know I could though. Know people who have and did well.

We are thinking of an area to maybe spend some time in the future and buying a place. A mobile on an 6-8k sqft lot is plausable and fits the budget more than something that would be a step up for like 3x or 4x the price.

When talking to the Miss' she was luke warm but it was not totally a no.

We are not talking about in a park or space rental deal. This would be own the lot and home.

I would like to hear some thoughts.

But lets keep it out of gutter please.

Thank you.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
A new doublewide in a small California foothills town was the nicest place I've lived. Except there was a heating duct in the kitchen floor right in front of the fridge. I dropped a bottle of salsa over it once.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Can't imagine why it would be a problem. If it makes sense financially, a new single-wide can be very comfortable. We toured several when we were contemplating selling this place.

Two caveats:

1. If you go that way, DO pay for the drywall upgrade. The units with the paneling are noisier and there's a very distinct odor from the materials that is not present in a unit finished with dry wall.

2. If it's not going to be occupied year around (like a vacation home) I'd be worried about security and deterioration. Unoccupied homes don't do well, and I would suspect that would be amplified in a manufactured home.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
If its nice and suits your needs then go for it. Sounds like it maybe a second home and or a place to get away too, I say do what you want and don't worry about what others think.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
My parents live on a place that is about 40 acres NE of Houston. My grandparents sold their home and moved out there over 20 years ago, having a single wide mobile home placed to live out their golden years close to my parents who could help out as they got older. My grandfather passed several years ago. My 93 year old grandmother still lives an active lifestyle, driving to the senior center daily for social time, and the home still meets her needs. She has had no structural issues and the home is still in very good condition after 20 years of daily habitation.

If you can get over the concern of whatever stigma you perceive about a mobile home it is a viable option for a long term home at a fraction of the price of site built. It will not appreciate though like a site built home and after 20 years it will be worth very little to resell.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
One other possibilities is five or six shipping containers welded and remodeled.

Either way, there are several tax advantages. Don't be surprised if your taxes would be 1/3 of a conventional property. That money would be better spent on a Roth IRA instead (just in case you can't find an X-Six or P210 somewhere Wink ).

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
We are not talking new. More like a 1970's version of a single wide.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Tornados never miss a trailer park...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8343 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Growing up in NJ my grandparents had several acres in rural Pennsylvania with a mobile home on it. They used it to get out of town on the weekends and my grandfather hunted on the property A LOT during hunting season. I can still remember every aspect of that place in Orson, PA. They sold it in 1983 or so. It was good times and good memories.

My grandfather even had a backhoe, dug a hole and lined it with plastic so us kids would have a place to swim, lol!

You do what you can afford. If it's the mobile home or nothing, I'd choose the mobile home. Maybe plan on building something more permanent in the future. Or, just tell your wife that so she'll agree!

Doubt I could ever talk my wife into something like that, but she's kinda high maintenance. Wink

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The single wide itself probably has minimal market value. You should be paying mostly for the land and other improvements like electric service, well, and septic.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
...a 1970's version...

Check the roof & hot water heater. Should be good to go.

Posts: 9142 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, all good thoughts.

Arfmel, along with that is the location, which you do not own. But is important in the grand scheme of a purchase.

Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
just remember to make sure the brakes are set before you go to sleep.

Posts: 5587 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My Pop-pop lived in one up until he had to go to the hospice...

he was born in a dirt floor farmhouse in (beulaville- near Lake City) and lived in a succession of wood framed farmhouses until he joined the USN during WWII. After that he lived in a home he built with my grandmother. Imagine finally having AC in Florida at the age of 40...eventually he divorced and re-married and lived in a wood framed home until she died and he moved into the trailer at Dowling Park in north Florida near the Suwanee River. There was nothing wrong with the home and he enjoyed it as much as he could until he died.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the roof over your head-as long as you are happy with it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
It doesn't matter what it is as long as it's warm in the winter, cool in the summer, dry when it's raining, easy on the pocket book, and has enough room for your gun safe. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As noted earlier they are an inexpensive viable option. They do not hold up well in high winds. I live in a hurricane area and even in a Hurricane Category 1 are advised to seek other shelter. As noted earlier they depreciate in value.

The biggest issue for thousands here who had to live in them after Hurricane Katrina was the chemical odor which made many people ill. This should not be a problem in an older mobile home. Drywall upgrade is worth it.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
We lived in one and did just fine. An older one will need a lot of up keep but they are easy to work on. I replaced the front door/frame, a window, and the bathtub without too much trouble.

Make sure you get underneath it make sure the insulation is good and seal around any pipe/wiring holes.

Putting it on a solid foundation is worth the expense, don't cheap out on that part.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
My old man lived in one while he built his house. Close to two years as I recollect. It was a 70's built unit and served him well. As someone mentioned, a lot can go wrong but they are pretty basic to work on.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
My Mother-in-law lived in her 14x60 home for 30 years and had no issues. My Mother still lives in her double wide she bought 20 years ago and it is cheaper (not taxed as a house, just pays an annual license for the home as it is considered "Mobile" by the taxing authorities), and my wife and I lived in a nice 14x65 on our ranch in Texas for several years until we sold the ranch. We were comfortable.

We now live in a 6,000 sf custom home and sometimes I wish we were still back in the mobile home.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
...a 1970's version...

Check the roof & hot water heater. Should be good to go.

Some early 70's had Aluminum wiring. That is a safety issue to be addressed.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post