SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Superior pickled beets
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Superior pickled beets Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I like pickled beets, and found a superior product a few weeks ago: “Cook’s Pantry Beets”. They’re less sweet than any other brand that I’ve tried (I don’t have a sweet tooth), and they have wonderful red beet flavor. They have a bit of crunchiness, another plus. They’re organic too, if that matters to you.

There are two varieties, whole and sliced. I suspect that the sliced variety is packed more efficiently – more beet, less liquid, so I buy that kind. After opening the densely packed jar, I’m sure that I’m right about that.

BTW, there’s very little vinegar in these beets – almost like canned beets. And they’re better than any canned beets that I’ve tried, too.

They’re from Poland, but I bought them at Bristol Farms, my grocery store. Give ‘em a try if your store has them.

https://cookspantry.com/products/organic-sliced-beets

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Big fan of beets. I'll have to look into these.

I just finished harvesting my beets last week. Sliced and freeze-dried them this year rather than canning and/or pickling. The final product was not at all unlike beet potato chips. They are really good as is and rehydrated. Next year I might put a little oil and salt on them prior to drying.

Us Poles know and love our beets.

Posts: 20100 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I will look,love those things.I do not like what I have been buying too much vinegar.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift, but a guy I used to work with would buy the one gallon glass jar of jalapeños and removed about 90% of the jalapeños, leaving the jalapeños liquid. Then he would add beet juice saved from after eating beets. Finally he would fill the jar with pieces of carrots, cucumbers, onion chunks, a few boiled eggs and whatever else was at hand. Put in the fridge for a week or so then munch.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I enjoy fresh garden veggies and a neighbor often shares. Yesterday it was a large ziplock bag of cherry tomatoes of various colors (the orange are particularly sweet and tasty), lemon cucumbers (wish grocery stores had them too), and beets.

I enjoy beets, especially prepared as gazpacho and borscht (although I've never tried making any). I prefer to steam beets for 30-40 minutes or until tender where the skin all but falls off. Beet greens are great too. Parboiled and then sauteed in EVOO and garlic, topped with salt, pepper and served with a huge lemon wedge. Yum!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16217 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
Pipe Smoker, thank you for posting this thread.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
These Cook’s Pantry beets just appeared on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B...cp_api_9GMOBbXNB2MAX

A pack six jars of sliced beets. Oddly, the whole beets are offered too, but as a single jar rather than a pack of six jars. Search on Amazon for:

“Cook’s Pantry beets”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post