SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fully automatic guns, other weapons stolen from Central Iowa gun store UPDATED Dec 19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fully automatic guns, other weapons stolen from Central Iowa gun store UPDATED Dec 19 Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We has a local burglary where several vintage automatics were taken. The police were all aflutter even though the owner pointed out that the brain surgeons forgot to take any magazines.

Without those, all they had were very expensive single shot rifles.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15717 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
...all they had were very expensive single shot rifles.

That crime should be easy to solve: Just tell all the local ER's to keep an eye out for cases of M-1 Thumb! Big Grin

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If you own a gun shop and are not securing firearms in a theft resistant safe every night, you are out of your mind.
I agree and think it’s also extremely irresponsible. In St.Louis there was 5 gun stores hit within the same one week timeframe.

Come on that’s ridiculous and gives the gun grabbers an actual reasonable bullet point. If we as gun owners can do it at home certainly a gun store can lock theirs up.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1s1k,

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
...But I don't recall hearing about auto weapons used in a crime...

There are rumors (i.e. News Stories by Professional Journalists Roll Eyes) that the Chicago gangs have used them in drivebys a couple times.

They will use them to "GREET" the UN peace keeper forces as they enter Chicago.

Posts: 4625 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:

They will use them to "GREET" the UN peace keeper forces as they enter Chicago.

I'm reminded of Rick's warning to Maj. Strasser in Casablanca, that there were parts of New York that he'd advise the Nazis not to invade.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be impossible for them to lock up ALL the guns. But me thinks if 2 people can break in and get out in 2 minutes with automatic rifles there's a problem. Inside job?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s not necessary to have a machine gun to knock over a convenience store or even a bank. The only thing automatic fire gives to the average shooter is the ability to miss faster. And I doubt that the average DarShawnchlamydia has the scratch to purchase such a gun on the underground market in any event.

I would bet a nickel that most machine guns stolen in thefts like these end up in private collections of people already known to the thieves. There may be a few exceptions, but they must be so minor as to be meaningless. I’m not aware, for example, of any mass shootings in this country involving stolen machine guns.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
It’s not necessary to have a machine gun to knock over a convenience store or even a bank. The only thing automatic fire gives to the average shooter is the ability to miss faster. And I doubt that the average DarShawnchlamydia has the scratch to purchase such a gun on the underground market in any event...

I seriously doubt that any gang member would have the brainpower to figure this out, so I'm guessing the odds are good that gang members stole them in the first place.

But, you're right about their usefulness. In my limited experience, they're only good for their cool factor, and for me, that wore off after one magazine through each.

-- H L Mencken

-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I’m not aware, for example, of any mass shootings in this country involving stolen machine guns.

Crimes committed with full auto weapons are uncommon as it is, and of those, nearly all are done with illegally converted guns.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
On Tuesday I left a Garand there for consignment. I then read the news article on Friday and called them. "So.... I heard you guys had some late night visitors, is my Garand still there?" "Yup." No gangsta love for the weapon that won WWII. Probably because it uses a clip and not a magazine. It's a nice range and they are nice guys, but the consignment rifles are on a far wall from the full auto stuff. I was surprised they hadn't locked at least the full auto up. I wasn't aware, but one news article said they were hit a couple days before.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The perps are in custody, but not all of the guns. Their photos are on the link.

Note they went straight to federal court.

https://www.desmoinesregister....robberies/966489001/

Authorities arrest 2 Des Moines men connected with gun store robberies

Aaron Young, ayoung2@dmreg.com Published 5:19 p.m. CT Dec. 19, 2017 | Updated 7:54 p.m. CT Dec. 19, 2017

Authorities have arrested two Des Moines men connected to a string of recent gun store robberies around the metro area.

David Marken Aikoriegie and Myles Jordan Maricle Pena appeared in federal court Tuesday before United States Magistrate Judge Celeste F. Bremer on charges related to a series of gun store burglaries in Urbandale and Clive, according to a news release.

In total, 31 handguns and seven automatic weapons were stolen during the three burglaries. In Clive alone, 28 handguns and the seven automatic weapons were stolen.

Clive Police Chief Michael Venema told the Register Tuesday night that only six weapons have been recovered so far from the two Rangemasters burglaries. And despite the two suspects being caught, more weapons out on the streets worries him.

"In one way, it feels really good that our suspects are in custody," Venema explained, "but the downside is that there are still a lot of these weapons on the street."

Aikoriegie's criminal complaint states that between Nov. 16 and Dec. 14, he burglarized and stole firearms from JLM Gun Shoppe in Urbandale as well as Rangemasters in Clive on two separate occasions. The complaint also alleges he sold some of the stolen firearms.

Aikoriegie is charged with three counts of theft of firearms from a federal firearm licensee and one count of unlawful possession, receipt and sale of a stolen firearm.

Pena's criminal complaint alleges that on or around Dec. 14, he sold a stolen firearm to another individual, which had been previously stolen from one of the burglaries alleged to have been committed by Aikoriegie.

Additionally, the complaint states during a search warrant at his home, Pena was found in possession of a firearm and marijuana. He is charged with unlawful drug user in possession of a firearm.

In both criminal complaints, it states how Pena met with a "cooperating defendant" on Dec. 14 in a Walgreens parking lot, located on East 14th Street and University Avenue, where a black Smith and Wesson M&P was sold for $600 in exchange for $150 and "a quantity of marijuana."

The handgun, which was stolen from Rangemasters, was later seized by Des Moines police during an encounter with the defendant on Dec. 16, the complaint says. Venema credited the "attentive" Des Moines officers' work.

In the Dec. 14 Rangemaster's burglary, Aikoriegie was accompanied by a 17-year-old male who is in custody for theft and possession of weapons charges, Venema said.

His identity is not being revealed at this time, he added, but Clive police is seeking additional charges.

With dozens of other remaining stolen weapons on the streets, however, Venema stressed the importance of notifying local law enforcement if any are located.

"Get them off the street before someone gets hurt by them, before their loved
ones get shot or their loved ones shoot someone else," he said. "They may be saving a loved one's life."

How you can help:
Anyone with information about the stolen weapons is urged to contact the following:

Clive Police, during business hours at 515-278-1312
Clive Police, 24/7 through Westcom at 515-222-3321
ATF tip line 24/7, at 1-800-ATF-GUNS (1-800-283-4867)
ATF online 24/7, at atf.gov/contact/atf-tips

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Solid looking crew.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Execute them

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Solid looking crew.

Yep, two of Des Moines finest citizens.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

Solid looking crew.

Real tough guys.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3110 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the second one is a guy?!...

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
If we as gun owners can do it at home certainly a gun store can lock theirs up.

Do you have all of your firearms out on display daily?

No idea what kind of gun stores you frequent but those around here have several hundred on display. they would have to start securing them ten minutes after they put them on display.

By the time they were placed back in the boxed and stored in what would have to be one hell of a large safe, it would be morning.

I wounder what third world craphole we got those losers from? MYLES JORDAN MARICLE PENA doesn't sound like he's a local.

The one mutt has at least one prior.

https://www.findmugshots.com/a...gie_id_31246890.html

5'1" and 220 pounds. He's a weeble.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess wearing their new shirts to the Rotary Christmas party was a bad idea.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:

I wounder what third world craphole we got those losers from?

Chiraq, it is where all of Des Moines' fun comes from.

When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chiraq

By way of Guatemala ......

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post