SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fully automatic guns, other weapons stolen from Central Iowa gun store UPDATED Dec 19
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fully automatic guns, other weapons stolen from Central Iowa gun store UPDATED Dec 19 Login/Join 
posted
When I saw the headline I was skeptical, but they were really full auto, seven of them.

Clive is a city on the west end of Des Moines. The link has surveillance photos.

https://www.desmoinesregister....lics-help/955640001/

Fully automatic guns, other weapons stolen from Clive gun store. Police, ATF asking for public's help

Mackenzie Ryan, mryan@dmreg.com Published 11:16 a.m. CT Dec. 15, 2017 | Updated 11:44 a.m. CT Dec. 15, 2017

Seven fully automatic weapons, two semi-automatic rifles and nine handguns were stolen from a gun store in Clive on Thursday evening.

Police are searching for two suspects who broke into Rangemasters Training Center, a gun store and shooting range located at 10520 Hickman Road.

Both were wearing gloves and had their faces and heads covered. They were in the store for less than two minutes.

Fully automatic weapons are not sold to the public, but were available at the Clive store to rent and use on their range under the supervision of a trained firearm instructor, Clive Police Chief Michael Venema told the Register.

"Any time that guns fall into the hands of criminals, it’s dangerous enough," Venema said. "When we have a number of fully automatic weapons out there, it ups the level of danger to the public and law enforcement."

Clive police are working with the Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco Firearms and Explosives to investigate this "dangerous crime," Venema said in a news release.

Police responded to a burglary alarm Thursday at 10:07 p.m. at the store, where they found the front door glass and interior vestibule glass broken. The suspects had already fled.

Security footage showed that two suspects, their faces covered, broke into the store and split up.

One suspect went directly to a handgun display case, broke it and took nine handguns.

The second went to a wall display of long guns took two semi-automatic rifles and seven fully automatic weapons.

Police are asking for the public's help in any information about these suspects. Anyone with information can contact the following:

Clive Police, during business hours at 515-278-1312
Clive Police, 24/7 through Westcom at 515-222-3321
ATF tip line 24/7, at 1-800-ATF-GUNS (1-800-283-4867)
ATF online 24/7, at https://www.atf.gov/contact/atf-tips

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not storing guns in safe after closing = dumb

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

And that's a fact, Jack!

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Are we sure it's not Obamas' ATF trying to get more guns to Mexico?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Just think, every gun shop customer is potentially casing the place for a burglary.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Occasionally we hear about a theft like this. But I don't recall hearing about auto weapons used in a crime. Perhaps they are sent out of the country to places that ban guns all together.

Posts: 1746 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:

And that's a fact, Jack!

hard to do in most LGS's, most around here treat the entire building as a safe

wondering if the alarm was activated and how secure the building was

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My LGS makes a potential customer display a concealed weapon permit or a pistol purchase permit before you can enter.

It has eliminated the city center dwellers from being Able to case the place.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
My LGS makes a potential customer display a concealed weapon permit or a pistol purchase permit before you can enter.

It has eliminated the city center dwellers from being Able to case the place.

That kind of sucks. Not everyone is there to buy a gun, what if youre there to buy ammo or something and don't have a CCW?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:

unless you frequent a local mom and pop store, how does a gun shop lock in a safe the several hundred firearms on display?

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know one store that does... or did when my friend worked there. Not the long guns, but a couple hundred handguns went in the safe every night.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

This is why I shop online. If they asked for that at the door I'd walk away. I'm not going to be treated like a criminal because I want to look at firearms.

At least back in Massachusetts you could look but in order to handle one you had to show a permit. This is way worse.

But their business, their rules. And my money, my rules, and it wouldn't get spent there.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
quote:

unless you frequent a local mom and pop store, how does a gun shop lock in a safe the several hundred firearms on display?

The answer would seem to be reinforcing the store as a whole- bars on the windows, heavy steel doors, etc. Safes would be cheaper

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
The current way is usually to steal a car or truck and drive it through the side of the building. Steel doors and bars aint cutting it anymore.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
The current way is usually to steal a car or truck and drive it through the side of the building. Steel doors and bars aint cutting it anymore.

Exactly why I said a safe would be cheaper. I was giving a few base examples. Constructing or retrofitting a building to withstand that is beyond the abilities of most gun shops.

It would be interesting to build a reinforced hobbit hole for gun shop.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is easy to do. A friend that had a gunshop in Goleta used boxes and foam to separate the handguns that were locked up each night.

They still broke in several times and took the rifles. A CA HWY Patrol office was right around the corner. Some of the guns were later found in LA.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you own a gun shop and are not securing firearms in a theft resistant safe every night, you are out of your mind.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
That kind of sucks. Not everyone is there to buy a gun, what if youre there to buy ammo or something and don't have a CCW?

If you say you want in for that, he allows it.

It's a filter to keep out the local thugs who stole a truck a few years ago and drove it into the building. The fencing and giant rocks kept the truck out but he found the suspected thief had posted a photo f the interior of his shop on FB next to a AR with the guy saying he was gonna get that gun...few weeks later...attempted B&E

quote:
If they asked for that at the door I'd walk away. I'm not going to be treated like a criminal because I want to look at firearms.

If you told the guy you only wanted to see rifles or shotguns-he would let you in...because you know that a PPP is not required to buy a long gun in NC. See answer above.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend of mine owns a gun shop, keeps 3000+ weapons in stock all the time. No way in hell to put that many in a safe every night. His entire building is a vault. Would take a LOT of high explosives to get in. I know, for I have had the Guided Tour.

Posts: 1638 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
...But I don't recall hearing about auto weapons used in a crime...

There are rumors (i.e. News Stories by Professional Journalists Roll Eyes) that the Chicago gangs have used them in drivebys a couple times.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post