SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage door opener light bulbs
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage door opener light bulbs Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
One of the light bulbs in my garage door opener had went out, so on my next trip to Lowes I bought some new ones. I was super excited by my find, LED bulbs each putting out 2,300 lumens. I took them home, installed them and "poof", my garage had more light then ever.

But then my wife's garage door opener in her car got a little wonky. And then I got a new car and had to program the integrated garage door remote. And after some trouble shooting, I read something about LED bulbs creating interference. I removed the bulbs and "poof", no more problems. My remote programed on the first try and hers quit having issues. Apparently LED bulbs and garage door interference is a thing.

So now I need new bulbs, again. Which would be easy if I wanted to buy 800 lumen non-interference LED bulbs which can be found on Amazon. But now that I have had 2,300 lumen bulbs, going back to 800 lumen might be hard.

What should I put in my garage door opener? Am I stuck going back to dimmer bulbs? Are CFL's the answer? Something else?

Posts: 2291 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Do not exceed the wattage rating of your garage door opener, or "poof", you'll be buying a new one. The garage door opener is not intended to be a source of illumination other than to get to the light switch.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I had similar problems. I'm using LEDs tested with garage door openings w/out issue. I think I'm using a lower wattage but brighter bulb than the original incandescent.

I can't remember the brand off hand but I think it's a fairly common brand (Amazon, HD, etc).

It was a pretty frustrating experience before figuring out it was the light bulb.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
saw these on Amazon.....never tried them myself but thought perhaps they might prove suitable

https://www.amazon.com/AmeriLu...s+garage+door+opener

Posts: 5900 | Location: southern california | Registered: April 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Most garage door openers are limited to 60 watts or so, and almost all less than 100 watts. There is a table online estimating lumen to watts. 800 lumen is close to 60 watts. 2300 lumen is something like 150 watts.

That probably isn’t related to interference, directly. The power units for some of these LED bulbs are the problem. If separate, putting ferrite coils on the power leads often takes care of the interference. The easiest is going with non interfering LEDs.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Led bulbs are much lower wattage for their equivalent lumens than the incandescent bulbs openers are rated for, so exceeding your opener’s wattage shouldn’t be an issue. It’s not suitable for a garage door opener due to size, but I have 10,000-lumen led corn lamps screwed into my garage ceiling and the wattage on one of those lamps is 100 watts. Your 2300 lumen is likely around 20 or 25 watts which most openers should have no trouble using.

Posts: 1179 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
One of the light bulbs in my garage door opener had went out, so on my next trip to Lowes I bought some new ones. I was super excited by my find, LED bulbs each putting out 2,300 lumens. I took them home, installed them and "poof", my garage had more light then ever.

But then my wife's garage door opener in her car got a little wonky. And then I got a new car and had to program the integrated garage door remote. And after some trouble shooting, I read something about LED bulbs creating interference. I removed the bulbs and "poof", no more problems. My remote programed on the first try and hers quit having issues. Apparently LED bulbs and garage door interference is a thing.

So now I need new bulbs, again. Which would be easy if I wanted to buy 800 lumen non-interference LED bulbs which can be found on Amazon. But now that I have had 2,300 lumen bulbs, going back to 800 lumen might be hard.

What should I put in my garage door opener? Am I stuck going back to dimmer bulbs? Are CFL's the answer? Something else?

"But then my wife's garage door opener in her car got a little wonky. And then I got a new car and had to program the integrated garage door remote. And after some trouble shooting, I read something about LED bulbs creating interference. I removed the bulbs and "poof", no more problems. My remote programed on the first try and hers quit having issues. Apparently LED bulbs and garage door interference is a thing.

LED INTERFERENCE - I had same problem -
I switched back to incandescent lamps and problem stopped.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
This is very common. Typical LED lamps cause interference that can mess with your radio receiver, and cause "wonky" performance.

Honestly, I think this is a good place for a standard incandescent or halogen rough service bulb in 75W to 100W. Your garage door opener only comes on for 3-5 minutes, so the energy use over an LED bulb would be minimal.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ge...2CkN0CFdEPhgodlwcPFg

https://www.1000bulbs.com/cate...service-light-bulbs/

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First I have ever heard of this. I put LED’s in mine and have never had a problem.

Posts: 3920 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:

LED's did the same thing to my garage door opener a few months ago, as well. Wife mentioned it and then I noticed it, and I realized the only thing that changed was that I'd replaced the bulbs with LEDs. It only did it while the bulbs were on... so if you were gone all day and came home it would work, but when you left in the morning after just opening the garage, it would not.

I just went back to conventional a-shape bulbs.

I agree with above that it is probably better to upgrade or add other sources of light.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Invest Early, Invest Often
Picture of TomV
posted Hide Post
I put some of these Genie LED Bulbs in about 2 years ago. Good light, no interference problems, and haven't burned out.

Posts: 1347 | Location: Escaped California...Now In Sunny, Southern Utah | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I used CF several years ago then upgraded to LED's a year or so ago. Never had any problem.
I bought whatever Home Depot had at the best price.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
But then my wife's garage door opener in her car got a little wonky. And then I got a new car and had to program the integrated garage door remote. And after some trouble shooting, I read something about LED bulbs creating interference. I removed the bulbs and "poof", no more problems. My remote programed on the first try and hers quit having issues. Apparently LED bulbs and garage door interference is a thing

Having the same issue with the factory opener in the new Explorer. From time to time it stops working. Odd part is sometimes the door is down and the light is out, sometimes up- with it on.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put new chamberlin openers in recently. The manual states do NOT use led bulbs due to interference with operation of the remote. I googled this and found a list of brands to try. I happened to have sylvania brand and they work ok.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, got a new garage opener for my pole barn and the book said; Do not use LED bulbs.

I told the garage door guy and he said he never knew. He has been doing this for 10 years too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just put a new LED light bulb into my garage opener(Guardian model) last week. I used a 100wt rated LED that draws only a small amount of power to light it. I have not experienced any interference yet. Now, I can actually see where I am going once the door closes!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I'm sticking with the basic 75W incandescent. There is no way I'm risking having the operation of my wife's opener becoming "wonky". Believe me, she would NOT be impressed.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want your garage to light up, get a Big Ass Fans Garage Light. It's totally separate from your door opener. Be warned, though, planes may start landing in your driveway.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
When I needed to replace the lights in my garage door opener, I went to Bulbs & Batteries where I found they actually sell garage door opener bulbs! So I bought two. They work, my remotes work, and I can actually see in my garage. I also have a regular overhead lamp and a work lamp, so if I need extended light in my garage, those two get all the work.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomV:
I put some of these Genie LED Bulbs in about 2 years ago. Good light, no interference problems, and haven't burned out.
These have been flawless 8 months and counting

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post