SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Stink from well pressure tank.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stink from well pressure tank. Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
The pipes from my irrigation well to the pressure tank froze this winter, so I had to shut off the pump. I left the hose bibs open, so when the pipes thawed the tank drained. Now that I turned it all back on, the water stinks of sulpher. I assume there's something growing in the tank. What do I kill it with? Would bleach hurt the tank? And how can I prevent this on the future?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Last time I had that issue I put 3 gal each in a 60 gal tank. Then I filled it up and let it sit. Then opened a drain and let it out. Then turned the water supply out flush it out. A big black gob came out, then the problem was gone.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We use a weak bleach solution routine for our camper's fresh water tank and lines, but...it's solid poly so isn't harmed. Even if your pressure tank has some exposed metal, I'd think if you do the deed over a short period of time you should be OK. After all, it doesn't hurt your washing machine tub, pump, or plumbing with normal usage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And it's time that particularly, some of our corporations learned, that when you get in bed with government, you're going to get more than a good night's sleep."
- Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5785 | Location: Pegram, TN | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
does it have a rubber bladder?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
does it have a rubber bladder?
This is the tank:

https://www.flexconind.com/pro...allenger-well-tanks/

quote:
Water Chambers: Top chamber is 100% butyl rubber, lower water chamber is copolymer polypropylene
So I think yes.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sometimes that rubber smell is from the bladder deteriorating

if I recall my chemistry (from about 30 years ago), sulfur is added to the rubber to increase its flexibility, if that sulfur leeches out, the rubber becomes more brittle

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53179 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
Iron algae can cause a sulfur smell. Where I live it is not uncommon to have to bleach a well every year or so.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
I had my local water expert explain that the sulfur smell (and the spurts of black water) was caused by magnase.
Installed an "iron" filter and our water is great now.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
This is irrigation water? Why not just run the well irrigating, and see if it doesn't flush the smell out.

The hot water at our cabin gets a sulfur odor if it doesn't get used for several weeks. I just let it run for 10 minutes or so and the stinky water smell goes away.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post