SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women with conceal carry who came to the aid of an officer being sued for wrongful death
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women with conceal carry who came to the aid of an officer being sued for wrongful death Login/Join 
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
In Ga its the same, our self defense law states that in the defense of yourself or a third party you can use deadly force. And its a a belief of death or serious bodily harm. BELIEF someone is trying. Wording is reasonably believe such force is required to prevent or stop a forcible felony.

I like Ga self defense laws. It even says the state must prove beyond a reasonable doubt you aren't justified. Meaning you dont prove your innocence, the state has to prove guilt

I also looked it up OCGA code 16-3-22 even covers rendering aid to LEO
These states need to come into the 21st century and protect their citizens. Like Ga has done.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is why the justice system is so worthless. The fact that an attorney took this case, that the courts and everyone else allow it is what is wrong with America. A drugged up POS got what he had coming. Feel sorry for the family of this guy but they're not entitled to shit.

Posts: 2188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with you except for the comments about the family of the deceased. He was a piece of shit and so are they. They are going to sue them women who shot the man that was trying to kill a Police Officer? They get no sympathy from me.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I agree with you except for the comments about the family of the deceased. He was a piece of shit and so are they. They are going to sue them women who shot the man that was trying to kill a Police Officer? They get no sympathy from me.

And that brings up a greater point, my friend.

I cringe each time that I hear the words "government" and "reform". But, the tort system needs to be reformed to a strict "loser pays" system. The only ones who don't see this as necessary are the ones that are currently profiting from it directly, or indirectly.

I don't know anything about this case, but if I had to take a stab at it (from several thousand others just like it we've seen), the family has no stake in this. The attorney that is representing them is working off of contingency. If they loose, he is out a few hundred dollars, and some time. But, most likely he knows that he'll make $35k or more off of it. He knows that the insurance companies will give them $50k in go away money because would cost $200k to fight it and win it. All he has to do is have his paralegal file some paperwork, he has to make a couple of appearances in front of the local TV stations saying that this is not about the money, but it is about "justice" for the family of poor slain Ray Ray. He sets the family up with an interview with the local TV station, they sit crying in front of a camera holding a picture of Ray Ray when he was in the eighth grade, wearing his eighth grade cap and gown, holding his eighth grade "diploma" (which was six felony convictions ago), and they cry about how they want justice, and it isn't about the money. (Likely they had little or no interaction with Ray Ray over the last several years). The insurance company settles, and viola, it may not be about the money, but the lawyer gets about 60 percent, and the family gets the rest. The FREE SHIT patrol strikes again. And they had to be out exactly nothing to get free shit.

We need to change that. LOSER PAYS. And I am sure that the pin striped mafia will be along shortly to hit us up with some euphemisms "It starts with a victim" (Interesting, if that is the case, why am I bombarded with commercials with law firms trolling for clients on TV constantly?) or "That might cause a victim not to file" (Big boy rules. I don't invest money into things that won't give me a return. Why should the legal system be classed different?)

The current ghetto/redneck lottery system of filing lawsuits needs to go. If Ray Ray goes toes up, and the family wants to sue officer friendly, then they need to put up the money to show that they can pay at trial. If not, see ya, wouldn't want to be ya.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Indiana has a "abuse of process" law that allows you to sue for frivolous lawsuits. Hopefully, the judge will toss this out at the first opportunity.

Do any of the attorney's here know, can she sue the other attorney, who likely does have some money and a insurance policy, for damages if this is as unfounded as it sounds to us?

If not, the legislators in that state have some work to do both to prevent this, and also to allow damages to the attorney who should know better.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 220-9er,

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Indiana has a "abuse of process" law that allows you to sue for frivolous lawsuits.

Do any of the attorney's here know, can she sue the other attorney, who likely does have some money and a insurance policy, for damages if this is as unfounded as it sounds to us?

If not, the legislators in that state have some work to do both to prevent this, and also to allow damages to the attorney who should know better.

The problem is, in some of these laws, yeah, you can sue for damages, but most of these turds have nothing for you to go after to recoup the money. They need to get liability insurance first before they sue that will pay for the loss, or put up the money in advance, that way they have a skin in the game.

I'm sure that someone will be along soon to make the argument that "well, now you are making lawsuits for the rich only", and that is not the case. I'm sure that liability insurance for the suit, or a bond would work just fine. And the fee to purchase the bond/insurance could be adjusted by the strength of the case, and the liability involved to make it accessible to everyone.

Attorney's are never going to be on the hook, because who writes the laws in the state house? Yeah, attorneys who look out for their own interests. So, it comes down to the family of Ray Ray being able to pay when they lose.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nasig:
To have to incur a cost of $300,000 to defend yourself against crap like this is some sort of crime in itself.

I concur!

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
To bring this thing back to life, it was just on the 11:00 news. I'm not sure they have anything new, but just to keep it on the front burner. The gofundme page was at $86,000, but that was a a screen shot from who no's when.

The normally lib local12 did a pretty good job of trashing the family trying to win the lottery.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
go after the lawyer...

its what they do to us....

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Her fund is only at $84k and change. I just sent a small contribution and shared her GFM page on FB.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post