SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Women with conceal carry who came to the aid of an officer being sued for wrongful death
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Women with conceal carry who came to the aid of an officer being sued for wrongful death Login/Join 
thawed out,
thrown out
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:
quote:
What if the officer is incapacitated and can’t actually ask for help?

I heard him / her ask for help. It was clear as could be!

Bingo. History is written by the victor.

Posts: 124 | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing I could find in a quick search of Indiana law is that refusing to assist a police officer when requested is a class B misdemeanor. So far, haven't found any language regarding rights/responsibilities of those who do assist. Indiana Code 35-44.1-3-3

A competent attorney in that state should be able to find something.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If a family/member does this and takes her to court, we need to put them on trial ( as far as I'm concerned with the same crime the perpetrator did), in order to put a stop to this ridiculousness. The perp was a piece of garbage and got what he deserved.

I also like the idea of having the attorney pay court costs for a loss. Too many bloodsuckers leaching off of the rest of us.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope she counter sues and wins.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Is there any law that requires an attorney, in this case the plaintiff's attorney, to disclose the source of funding for his fees?

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
New law proposal.

The jury gets to also decide if the losing attorney gets publicly tarred and feathered and shot out of a cannon for being a bullshit lawsuit.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
In Florida if it is ruled a good shooting you are immune from civil charges.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

implied consent?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
You guys are cruel. He was a good man, he often went to Sunday school as a youth. He helped his aunt go shopping and carried in her groceries. If she needed medication in the middle of the night he answered his phone and would go to the all night pharmacy to retrieve it and take it to her. He was often seen helping his elderly grandmother across the road. So in this one incident he had his life taken by a bystander who wanted to show she could shoot if she wanted to. He was only wrestling with the officer to keep him from taking him to jail. He had no real intention of actually hurting the man, thinking he was only a conservation officer with a grudge against guys with pickup trucks.

The shooter cold have shot him in the hand or foot. No need to shoot him in a place that she knew or should have known could kill him. She had no "iron" in the fire. She acted for the fun of it.

Besides, the families lawsuit was only filed to get the state to acknowledge they were wrong and could have saved a life. Maybe all the family wants is a small settlement from the outrageous actions of a local woman who stuck her nose into something she had no business butting in.

Oh, and in his truck he had enrollment materials for the local seminary, hoping to achieve his life long goal of entering the ministrty. Also in his truck as notes on how he planned to cure cancer in his spare time.

There, have I missed anything? Frown

After I wiped the Mt Dew off my kybd, I realized most of my neighbors would believe what you just said. Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Arizona too!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
Doesn't this fall under the Good Samaritan law?

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pessimist:
Doesn't this fall under the Good Samaritan law?

Which “the” Good Samaritan law are you referring to? Is there one in Indiana? If you don’t know, do you realize that laws like that are enacted at the state level and apply only in that state? There is no overarching national law that governs such things.

And even if there is one that applies, that doesn’t prevent someone from suing. The lawsuit against the woman may not go far, but there’s a good chance that the insurance company for the agency (assuming there is one) will agree to some payout that will make a few bucks for the plaintiffs’ attorney for minimal work—which is the entire reason for most such ridiculous actions. The primary reason for including the woman in the suit is that she fired the shot. It would be difficult to contend in court that the officer’s actions alone resulted in the death.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
We have a few good laws in Missouri.

As far as helping the officer is concerned:

quote:
563.051. Private person's use of force in making an arrest. — 1. A private person who has been directed by a person he or she reasonably believes to be a law enforcement officer to assist such officer to effect an arrest or to prevent escape from custody may, subject to the limitations of subsection 3 of this section, use physical force when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes such to be necessary to carry out such officer's direction unless he or she knows or believes that the arrest or prospective arrest is not or was not authorized.

  2. A private person acting on his or her own account may, subject to the limitations of subsection 3 of this section, use physical force to arrest or prevent the escape of a person whom such private person reasonably believes has committed an offense, and who in fact has committed such offense, when the private person's actions are immediately necessary to arrest the offender or prevent his or her escape from custody.

  3. A private person in effecting an arrest or in preventing escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only:

  (1) When deadly force is authorized under other sections of this chapter; or

  (2) When he or she reasonably believes deadly force is authorized under the circumstances and he or she is directed or authorized by a law enforcement officer to use deadly force; or

  (3) When he or she reasonably believes such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to arrest a person who at that time and in his or her presence:

  (a) Committed or attempted to commit a class A felony or murder; or

  (b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon.

  4. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section.

And as far as regular immunity goes:

quote:
563.074. Justification as an absolute defense, when. — 1. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 563.016, a person who uses force as described in sections 563.031, 563.041, 563.046, 563.051, 563.056, and 563.061 is justified in using such force and such fact shall be an absolute defense to criminal prosecution or civil liability.

  2. The court shall award attorney's fees, court costs, and all reasonable expenses incurred by the defendant in defense of any civil action brought by a plaintiff if the court finds that the defendant has an absolute defense as provided in subsection 1 of this section.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dusty78:

Hopefully Indiana has loser pays rules.

It doesn't. The 8 states that do seem to focus on "deceptive business practices."
However, Indiana has a "Good Samaritan law"This states:
"What Does the Indiana Good Samaritan Law Say?

The Indiana Good Samaritan law states that a person who comes upon the scene of an emergency or accident and who in good faith, gratuitously renders emergency care, is immune from civil liability for any personal injury that results.

Under the Indiana Good Samaritan Law:
You cannot be sued for helping out of good faith
You do not have to help at the scene of an accident
You cannot be sued for failure to help"

Still, it would seem that lawyers and court costs are nvolved.

https://www.legalmatch.com/law...s-system-states.html
https://www.wkw.com/faqs/what-...-good-samaritan-law/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

implied consent?

Yes. The law states:
"If the injured person is able to communicate, he can turn away help. Unlike conscious victims, unconscious victims can be helped on the grounds of implied consent."

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
ANYONE can sue for ANY reason.
One reason I have Texas Law Shield ~ also in many other states.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Given that the perp had the officer down on all fours, that was damn good shooting on her part.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Even if so, I suspect that the dearly departed's family will turn out to have very little to pay with.

This is where I'm OK with a little legal reform.

If the family has little or nothing I'm assuming the attorney has taken the case on a contingency basis. The attorney only collects if they win, so he's assuming some risks.

Part of that risk should be putting the attorney on the hook should they loose. Don't want to accept that risk? Then don't take clients on contingency, or make sure your clients will put up the resources in the event you loose.

Amen. Make them put up a bond in the amount they are seeking. How many of these BS lawsuits would disappear?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KMitch200:
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:

Arizona too!

And NC

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Even if so, I suspect that the dearly departed's family will turn out to have very little to pay with.

This is where I'm OK with a little legal reform.

If the family has little or nothing I'm assuming the attorney has taken the case on a contingency basis. The attorney only collects if they win, so he's assuming some risks.

Part of that risk should be putting the attorney on the hook should they loose. Don't want to accept that risk? Then don't take clients on contingency, or make sure your clients will put up the resources in the event you loose.

If only the 99 percent of lawyers would make sure the 1 percent of them couldn't ever practice law again....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post