SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians, is this acceptable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians, is this acceptable? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Which part?

Fact they didn't use strippers to strip wires? Insulation under the screws? Wires not completely under the screws? Nah, that all looks fine to me.

An electrician did not do that. I can understand the backsplsh as the granite guys did that. There is no way an electrician is responsible for those terminations. Zero chance.
Oh, he's responsible for it. I don't know who actually wired that outlet, but the guy who bid it and invoiced for it is definitely an electrician (albeit not properly licensed to bid or perform this work).

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I wish there was something I could say you can do about that. In most cases I've heard, it is answered with "I had the county inspect the work, they passed it."

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
On today's edition of stupid electrician tricks:

Yesterday, my wife was setting out the holiday decorations, and the GFCI on the front porch had failed. So I go to replace it. Pull off the weatherproof cover and:

Woodscrews. Well, no biggie, I bought a bunch of long screws, so I've got the covered.

OK, another deeply recessed box, this time with siding and sheathing exposed, but I bought a bunch of box extenders, so I can fix that too....

Hmm.... 14 AWG wire. I could have sworn it was a 20 amp breaker when I shut it off.... Wife, can you go check? Yep, it says '20' on it. Eek

So now I've got to replace at least one 20 amp breaker with a 15. I think I'm going to have to have a real electrician come through and pull every cover and switch plate and check everything. Good gravy.

And for the bonus round, this morning, my wife told me that the basement fridge was off. I immediately knew what the problem was. When I was in the panel yesterday, I threw all the breakers for unused and expansion circuits. He'd forgotten to put in the basement refrigerator circuit, and we made him come back, apparently instead of putting in another circuit, he just put it on the "Fish Pond" breaker....

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
The inspectors never even looked at my house when it was built. The driveway and back padio was pored without a base and is now cracked and hollow underneath due to settlement.
Wall paper was installed without using a sealer first.
The exterior wood was never primed and there is a lot of wood rot.
There is a crack in the foundation wall and water leaks in when it rains.
Some of wall outlets were wired wrong.
Basement porthole windows were not sealed and leaves entrance way for mice.
Windows were painted in the track and now are stuck due to the cold flow of the paint and can not be opened without some effort of a putty knife to get them unstuck.
Bedroom fan was not wired with a wall switch to cut it off.
Drywall in the garage was not sealed between seams with tape and compound.
Insulation in the attic covered the soffit vents.

But other than that, how do you like your house? Eek Damn. Did they do anything right?

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I put up with a lot of shit. Just don't buy anything from Long & Foster. I almost walked on the deal and should have. They said the house had been inspected and nothing was wrong but I found things that were not right and didn't meet code which they failed to put in the contract as was agreed to.

The worst part was the neighbors. Little did I know that the previous owner moved because of the neighbors. Dogs shitting in the yard and cats on your cars. Big Grin

The guys wife worked at Fairfax Hospital with a friends daughter and she said the neighbors were white trash. Eek I should have moved out of this place 20 years ago.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post