SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians, is this acceptable?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians, is this acceptable? Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Was going to replace this outlet, and surprised to see that the box doesn't extend to the front of the backsplash, and there is exposed drywall within. I should add that we're in litigation with the guy who did this, so I was surprised but not shocked and wondering if this gets added to the list. Is this acceptable/legal, or must the box be extended?

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
they make box extenders for this purpose. the drywall screws holding the outlet wouldn't fly with me.

Posts: 5594 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I have one in my kitchen that's EXACTLY the same way. Bothers me, and there was some extender thing wrapped in electrical tape, which bothered me even more since I hate electrical tape.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I have one in my kitchen that's EXACTLY the same way. Bothers me, and there was some extender thing wrapped in electrical tape, which bothered me even more since I hate electrical tape.
It may be hard to see in the picture, but the outlet is wrapped in electrical tape.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Is it ok? That's your call.
Is it common? More than you know given the homes I've been in.
Is it a problem? Probably not.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Not an electrician, but I wrap the poles in electrical tape. Just a couple of passes. I would get a box extender and mount the outlet in that. Likely you'd be fine the way it is, but I wouldn't like it. I thinks Skins is an electrician. Let's see what he says....

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
As long as E tape is around the duplex outlet itself, covering the connections, it's fine. Using drywall screws is hacky, they should have gotten long 10/32s.

The key safety concern, is that this outlet is ganged with a GFCI protected outlet. If it isn't, that is what is dangerous. Otherwise, it's rather poopy, but not a violation.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
As long as E tape is around the duplex outlet itself, covering the connections, it's fine. Using drywall screws is hacky, they should have gotten long 10/32s.

The key safety concern, is that this outlet is ganged with a GFCI protected outlet. If it isn't, that is what is dangerous. Otherwise, it's rather poopy, but not a violation.

Long 6-32s, switches and plugs are always 6-32s.

It is most certainly illegal to install in this manner. The box should be flush with the wall material, weather it be drywall, wood, stone, or any other material.

The entire way an outlet is installed is part of the redundant safety in its design to keep you alive should something fail.

The actual violation is the UL listing of the screws and failure to follow manufacturers instructions. Drywall screws are not UL listed for supporting fixtures or devices, and if you could find installation instructions for the outlets they would likely say to use included 6-32 screws.

Additionally the box must be flush with combustible wall materials, or no more than 1/4" recessed on non-combustible materials with no more than an eighth inch space from wall to outlet boxes. The second part is usually only enforced on Sheetrock, not on countertops. Look up NEC 314.20 & .21. An inspector could actually make one caulk between the box and granite if they felt like it.

The idea is if something fails you want to starve it of oxygen and keep heat from combustible materials. That way wires melt but no fire starts if the outlet/connection fails.

How to fix:

Install 2-2.5" 6-32 screws and box extensions.

The linked product is named by the size of box BE1= 1 gang, BE2 = 2 gang, BE3 = 3 gang.

This should have been checked at Final Electrical inspection. Inspector usually pulls one counter, and one backslash plate and looks for box extensions, if they used one, they likely did them all correct, if they didn't, they likely did them all incorrectly (like yours).

In all likelihood, not a concern as Sheetrock and granite are both non-combustible. You can fix it with under $20 in materials and 1 hr of labor. I am actually surprised when I see it done correctly, since it's done wrong so often. Especially when backsplashes are added at a later remodel. The tile guys are usually the ones making the mistake there, the don't know or care about electrical codes.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

How can you hate black electrical tape? It is one of the pillars civilization rests upon, up there with fire and the wheel, the father of duct tape and many other ingenious conveniences that help make our world, our culture, the finest, most luxurious and the safest ever known.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

How can you hate black electrical tape? It is one of the pillars civilization rests upon, up there with fire and the wheel, the father of duct tape and many other ingenious conveniences that help make our world, our culture, the finest, most luxurious and the safest ever known.

I hate when people wrap outlets or wirenuts in tape. Makes it a pain in the ass to find and fix the problem. Luckily it's also a clue you are on the right track for troubleshooting because it's usually done by handymen and homeowners.

The only time I wrap outlets is if I'm installing them hot into metal boxes. Other than that it is completely pointless.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
As someone who has worked in industrial maint. I will sometime wrap wire nuts in tape but have never done it to boxes. Have never used drywall screws in an outlet box. I also know a couple of inspectors that would fail an installation like that.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
I generally believe that building inspection is a form of shakedown. And here we had a journeyman electrician, not licensed for this work, who somehow was able to pull permits and request inspections, and get green tags on stuff like this. Kind of demonstrates that the permitting and inspection process isn't protecting homeowners.

Si vis pacem para bellum

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The inspectors never even looked at my house when it was built. The driveway and back padio was pored without a base and is now cracked and hollow underneath due to settlement.
Wall paper was installed without using a sealer first.
The exterior wood was never primed and there is a lot of wood rot.
There is a crack in the foundation wall and water leaks in when it rains.
Some of wall outlets were wired wrong.
Basement porthole windows were not sealed and leaves entrance way for mice.
Windows were painted in the track and now are stuck due to the cold flow of the paint and can not be opened without some effort of a putty knife to get them unstuck.
Bedroom fan was not wired with a wall switch to cut it off.
Drywall in the garage was not sealed between seams with tape and compound.
Insulation in the attic covered the soffit vents.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Metal boxes, wrap. Plastic boxes... maybe.

Of course where I work we have to do 90% of it live, so having wrapped outlets is a nice thing.

As far as the original photo being acceptable, not if you paid someone to do it. Again, where I work, if I had $5 for every outlet that's like that, I could retire and buy a second home.Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
I generally believe that building inspection is a form of shakedown.
Bingo! I flipped a small foreclosure home I renovated last year, and the reno got red-ticketed because i didn't pull a building permit on the job. Interesting because I did no new construction, removed no walls or existing structure, and had all the subs (i.e. electrical, plumbing, HVAC, roof, windows and doors, etc) pull their own permits so I had sign offs for the lender and new owner for the work that was done. Basically I shelled out ~$800 for a general building permit for absolutely nothing. Total and complete BS.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:
Using drywall screws is hacky {snip} it's rather poopy

Haha! The jokers who put the light over my garage door pulled the same stunt. Frickin' drywall screws! Good grief....

God bless America.

Posts: 13494 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Drywall screws for electrical?

NO WAY.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
This is legit, right? Roll Eyes

Si vis pacem para bellum

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Which part?

Fact they didn't use strippers to strip wires? Insulation under the screws? Wires not completely under the screws? Nah, that all looks fine to me.

An electrician did not do that. I can understand the backsplsh as the granite guys did that. There is no way an electrician is responsible for those terminations. Zero chance.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Which part?

Fact they didn't use strippers to strip wires? Insulation under the screws? Wires not completely under the screws? Nah, that all looks fine to me.

An electrician did not do that. I can understand the backsplsh as the granite guys did that. There is no way an electrician is responsible for those terminations. Zero chance.

IT DEPENDS what country you're in!!!! The stuff I've seen in third world countries......like the suicide shower head.....a 120 volt shower head with a heating element in the shower head for example!

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post